Hit a deer... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You mean swap out the front end or just use the money for a newer truck? I do prefer the LC front end but didnt know this was an option

Just swapping the front end. You already are going to have to buy nearly every part to switch it over to to the LC style front end anyway.

Good luck getting everything sorted out!

I’d sure buy it back if the price is reasonable, these are stout trucks and I bet it can be fixed fairly easily. Glad you went to the effort to salvage some deer meat from the buck.

That's an expensive way to get some meat.

In 9 years we have hit 3, been hit by 1. Never had any real damage but I run big bumpers and drive like I have some sense. Recovered all immediately with the exception of one. State trooper showed up and we tracked his butt down into a gully at about midnight with the lights on his Cruiser. Finished him off and the trooper helped load it. We have good law enforcement around here.

good thing it didn't breach the windshield and end up in your lap

So I used progressives "photo estimate" thing in the app as a first step. Figuring the estimate would likely be really low. It came in at $4,686.

Based on posts I've found on here with similar damage that seems waaaay low. I'm taking it in tomorrow to see what an actual shop quotes me for repair. The insurance rep. told me it could still end up being totaled out. This photo estimate BS just seems like a way for Progressive to get you to take the low payment instead of having to actually pay to fix it or deal with totaling the car out.

I could get a new steel bumper and grill with that, the thing I'd be worried about is the head light assembly and all that wiring, plus the cost of the quarter panel + paint. Should I get an estimate from a shop as if I'm paying for it without insurance first?

That seems less than KBB, which is pretty low to begin with. Let the games begin.

Well that's repair costs not the total truck value....I would had words with them if it was that haha

Well that's repair costs not the total truck value....I would had words with them if it was that haha

In my opinion, best case scenario for you is that they do in fact do a reportable and fixable damage amount instead of totaling it.

Get it completely fixed up on the insurance's dime. Otherwise, you're likely to loose money on the buy back comparable to what you've put into it.

In my opinion, best case scenario for you is that they do in fact do a reportable and fixable damage amount instead of totaling it.

Get it completely fixed up on the insurance's dime. Otherwise, you're likely to loose money on the buy back comparable to what you've put into it.

that's the way I'm hoping for , but I'm betting once an actual shop looks at it they will total it...maybe not though. I don't want cheap aftermarket parts either, it looked like the estimator found parts in a salvage yard though off an actual LX

I have some bad news for you. That thing is going to get totaled out. I had a 99 LX470, what I would consider very clean. Got in a crash early December. No airbags, just general front end damage similar to yours. I drove home from the accident, it went straight. The frame rails were straight. No fluids puked out. I drove it to the body shop who took it apart for the adjuster to come look at it.
hFQDBFBl.jpg

LzxBhzXl.jpg

The inner fender getting bent is what totals these out. To be considered "Fixed" by insurance companies they want that piece cut out and a new piece welded in place (future rust!)
Rad cross member bent back
Dd9Al16l.jpg

IDvezSLl.jpg

Totally could be repaired, but they said it was not valuable enough to fix. I really wanted the truck fixed. I fought for a few weeks over the value of the car. Initially was only offered about $6800 in spite of not being able to find any comparables within a 900 mile radius anywhere near that and having a bill of sale from 10 months before for much more than that. After some back and forth I got the value up to only about $7800. I then told them I wanted to buy it back and fix it as a salvage/rebuilt. They told me the buyback cost would be about $2600 and was in no way negotiable. I was shocked because that is the first I had ever heard of that. Way too much to be able to get it back, fix it/register etc for what my payout was. It was a damn shame because the whole thing was I just wanted my truck back and fixed. I was able to take off my wheels/spacers/rack etc. Immediately after the accident I was watching classifieds for a replacement/to get values. After six weeks something popped up for a good price. I will be into it about $2500 for rehab stuff (seats/UCAs/valve cover gaskets) before I am satisfied/comfortable but I know there will always be something that needs fixing. I hadn't even had my LX for a year and I had spent a lot of time fixing it up.

Good luck on your outcome. I hope it is a happy one
lI2rm2ql.jpg

I have some bad news for you. That thing is going to get totaled out. I had a 99 LX470, what I would consider very clean. Got in a crash early December. No airbags, just general front end damage similar to yours. I drove home from the accident, it went straight. The frame rails were straight. No fluids puked out. I drove it to the body shop who took it apart for the adjuster to come look at it.
hFQDBFBl.jpg

LzxBhzXl.jpg

The inner fender getting bent is what totals these out. To be considered "Fixed" by insurance companies they want that piece cut out and a new piece welded in place (future rust!)
Dd9Al16l.jpg

IDvezSLl.jpg

Totally could be repaired, but they said it was not valuable enough to fix. I really wanted the truck fixed. I fought for a few weeks over the value of the car. Initially was only offered about $6800 in spite of not being able to find any comparables within a 900 mile radius anywhere near that and having a bill of sale from 10 months before for much more than that. After some back and forth I got the value up to only about $7800. I then told them I wanted to buy it back and fix it as a salvage/rebuilt. They told me the buyback cost would be about $2600 and was in no way negotiable. I was shocked because that is the first I had ever heard of that. Way too much to be able to get it back, fix it/register etc for what my payout was. It was a damn shame because the whole thing was I just wanted my truck back and fixed. I was able to take off my wheels/spacers/rack etc. Immediately after the accident I was watching classifieds for a replacement/to get values. After six weeks something popped up for a good price. I will be into it about $2500 for rehab stuff (seats/UCAs/valve cover gaskets) before I am satisfied/comfortable but I know there will always be something that needs fixing. I hadn't even had my LX for a year and I had spent a lot of time fixing it up.

lI2rm2ql.jpg

Dang.... Makes me want to wrap mine up in bubble wrap!

Sorry about your loss there. OP, I hope you have a much more favorable outcome!

Maybe this should be a lesson to all of us to try and get a "stated" value in order to be correctly covered.

hFQDBFBl.jpg

LzxBhzXl.jpg

Dd9Al16l.jpg

IDvezSLl.jpg

lI2rm2ql.jpg

welp, I'm definitely boned then. I already found a bunch of comps nearby. Only one that is my condition and miles is $11k.

Guess I should get the ball moving on my 4x4labs front bumper I'm building.. every trip out west of Houston I encounter loads of deer.

I'm curious from others experience on the buy back process.. seems like its a s*** show.. I wonder if there is anything that can be negotiated ahead of a scenario like this?

Glad ya'll were OK!

welp, I'm definitely boned then. I already found a bunch of comps nearby. Only one that is my condition and miles is $11k.
I was in a similar situation and had high hopes; because everything I could find had 25K miles more than mine, and again I was thinking mine was in very good shape (it was). Assume that they will criticize every imperfection of your truck and will treat every other truck for sale as though it has impeccable service history and is blemish free. They will do this to drive down the payout value of your truck.

As a side note for anyone reading this; insurance companies want you to use those apps that you upload the damage of your photos. I strongly advise you not do that. The inspector/adjuster should see it in person after a body shop has removed broken pieces out of the way. You will be amazed how many things like wiring harnesses are cut and clips get broken. Insurance companies want you to use those photo uploaders because they want to get by with the smallest possible payout and will only bill out what they see like lights, bumper cover, and respray.

A "stated" value is one in which you and your insurance company agree beforehand on the value of the vehicle in the case of a total loss, and your premium is set accordingly.
YES! This is the only thing that will protect you should something happen, especially with an older vehicle. They have guidelines as to age, value and compensation. Often times they are much lower than "blue book" or Intrinsic value. When you get insurance on your truck, have it clearly stated that the value is "X". It can be a fully fictional number and it will reflect in your premiums BUT at least they know up front the value of the truck they are insuring, even if it's only YOUR value of it. That way should anything happen they have a clear number that needs to be met. I have a couple of trucks insured this way and it's worth every penny you will pay extra per month should someone damage it.

The advantages of having a steel bumper when you smoke a deer at 55mph...highly recommend it. I would’ve totaled my truck if it wasn’t for that and I walked away with just hair and blood in the grille.

5FC23694-72F4-4295-9ADB-0CBF463E9330.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom