Hit a deer... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This was a total back in October. "01, 200K miles. Your damage looks very similar.

20191028_072732.jpg

This thread has pushed up my timeline on installing a front bumper. thanks all for sharing and good luck to the OP. I hope your outcome is favorable!

Collision shop thought it was totaled because of the radiator support being bent. He said it would add $7-800 to cut out and re weld the new one in. He said it MIGHT make it just under total loss, but I should hear by Monday at the latest.

I even asked them if they would let me pay them out of pocket to fix the bent radiator mount and then I would fix the rest and they wouldn't even do that. Will shops only fix s*** through insurance? I don't get it.

Collision shop thought it was totaled because of the radiator support being bent. He said it would add $7-800 to cut out and re weld the new one in. He said it MIGHT make it just under total loss, but I should hear by Monday at the latest.

I even asked them if they would let me pay them out of pocket to fix the bent radiator mount and then I would fix the rest and they wouldn't even do that. Will shops only fix s*** through insurance? I don't get it.

Insurance pays more and the shop knows that they will get paid. There is probably some liability issues with having more than one person paying for both the shop and the insurance company.

Insurance pays more and the shop knows that they will get paid. There is probably some liability issues with having more than one person paying for both the shop and the insurance company.

The scenario I was giving him was the truck was totaled, so I paid for them to repair (using money left after buy back) only the bent radiator mount and fender. I would replace the lights, bumper and grill myself. I was surprised they wouldn't do that.

The scenario I was giving him was the truck was totaled, so I paid for them to repair (using money left after buy back) only the bent radiator mount and fender. I would replace the lights, bumper and grill myself. I was surprised they wouldn't do that.

Probably because the body shop has to sign off with the insurance company that everything was repaired and the vehicle is back to the "original" condition. That is what the insurance company goes off of in order to continue insuring your vehicle. If the insurance company found out the body shop signed off on it and it wasn't completely repaired (because you slacked off on the repairs you said you would do), the body shop would be on the hook for it. To much of a liability.

I see what you are saying. Business must be good enough that they will only do the job if they get to do it all

Probably because the body shop has to sign off with the insurance company that everything was repaired and the vehicle is back to the "original" condition. That is what the insurance company goes off of in order to continue insuring your vehicle. If the insurance company found out the body shop signed off on it and it wasn't completely repaired (because you slacked off on the repairs you said you would do), the body shop would be on the hook for it. To much of a liability.

I don't see how the insurance company would care once the car is sold with a salvage or rebuilt title

I don't see how the insurance company would care once the car is sold with a salvage or rebuilt title

I meant if they provided enough money up to the "total" amount and he chipped in on the rest of the repair. That way it wouldn't be totaled and he wouldn't have to go through the battle with the insurance company.

I meant if they provided enough money up to the "total" amount and he chipped in on the rest of the repair. That way it wouldn't be totaled and he wouldn't have to go through the battle with the insurance company.
I hadn't thought of that.....

A "stated" value is one in which you and your insurance company agree beforehand on the value of the vehicle in the case of a total loss, and your premium is set accordingly.
Actually, the correct terminology is "Agreed Value." "Stated Value" won't guarantee you get the full amount:

"Stated Value is coverage that reflects an amount that is “stated” at the onset of the policy. You tell your insurer what your car is worth (with proper documentation) and it is insured for that amount. The caveat here, however, is that the insurance company can choose to pay you either the Stated Value or the Actual Cash Value, whichever is less.

Alternatively, Agreed Value, coverage primarily offered by specialty insurers, is based on the proven value of your car as determined by you and the insurance company, according to appraisals, photos, or other relevant documentation. With Agreed Value coverage, the insurance company will guarantee that they will pay this agreed-upon value in the event of a covered total loss."

- From Hagerty Insurance, with lots of other supporting references online.

FA51E7E7-7865-4CB7-914F-7B32E179DC4B.jpeg

Last edited:
As expected by everyone it is indeed totaled. They valued it at $7,100 based on the comps they got. I told them there is no way I could buy that truck in that condition in my area for that price, and I offered a bunch for sale on craigslist, but they can't accept craigslist.

I told them I would review the service histories for the comps he's providing because this truck had been serviced by the dealer on time it's entire life, and that definitely adds value. He said they would review it, but I don't know if that will help at all.

Radiator support and apron are both bent pretty bad which drove the price up over $7k to fix, they also said the hood was buckled but I sure couldn't tell.

It seems the real conclusion to the story is we all need to stop crashing 100's because they are way more valuable alive than dead. Sorry about the total loss OP. Looking at your first pictures the hood is definitely bent up. It would just be easier to find a recycled part and paint to match than try to beat it straight again. Never accept the first offer. Go back and fight for more. Note that they will only use your model year for comps. They will just use their own metrics to determine value for things like your low mileage compared to another 1999 for sale with 280K miles. They just kind of go "Well that one is advertised for $6500 but because you had lower miles you got a $600 allowance for that". How they pin the value of 100K fewer miles (and ten less years worth of driving) at $600 is them playing a game where they make their own rules. It sucks to no end. Every insurance company is trash.

It seems the real conclusion to the story is we all need to stop crashing 100's because they are way more valuable alive than dead. Sorry about the total loss OP. Looking at your first pictures the hood is definitely bent up. It would just be easier to find a recycled part and paint to match than try to beat it straight again. Never accept the first offer. Go back and fight for more. Note that they will only use your model year for comps. They will just use their own metrics to determine value for things like your low mileage compared to another 1999 for sale with 280K miles. They just kind of go "Well that one is advertised for $6500 but because you had lower miles you got a $600 allowance for that". How they pin the value of 100K fewer miles (and ten less years worth of driving) at $600 is them playing a game where they make their own rules. It sucks to no end. Every insurance company is trash.

Yeah their comps...one had 293k miles no idea of service history and they added $500 to the sold value to make up for 100k extra miles...really? My truck was in incredible shape and they added $47 for "condition" to their value.....

I'm wondering if I can buy it back, slap a steel bumper on it and just tear out the original front end and just turn it into a full time offroad truck by rigging some lights, maybe see if I can find a shop that will repair the rad mount and apron

They valued it at $7,100 based on the comps they got.

Are they sharing their comps with you? It seems like they should. I think it's pretty easy to make a good case that KBB is pure nonsense.

Maybe I missed it - how many miles on your LX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom