Hiney, A '72 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My dream is that it will start someday. It's not seized, I know that.

Well I definately will be praying when I turn the ignition switch for the first time. ;)

Last edited:
Man those are beautiful. Ive got some but they've been painted.

Have you ordered a white factory soft top from @Trollhole yet??
I have a top on order for a different truck. Julie is having supply chain issues. I still don't know the name of this color paint, or what color canvas looks good on it.

I have a top on order for a different truck. Julie is having supply chain issues. I still don't know the name of this color paint, or what color canvas looks good on it.
The soft top that it came with was probably white, as I think they all were. But some contrast would look good. Someone around here has an early FST with an olive drab green soft top and door skins and it looks great. Would also probably look good with tan top. Id say anything but black.

Last edited:
Both badges were missing, but not anymore. Ordered up some proper taillights and frames.
20210510_191919.jpg

Engine dated May 17, 1972
20210510_153834.jpg

Last edited:
I still don't know the name of this color paint,

The paint chart in 40 series fax says it should be Dune Beige but looks lighter like Coronado Beige. That chart lists yellow as 76-83 but know it started in 75. I had a friend who bought one of the first 40 off the boat in the LA area. It was red and shortly after that he seen the mustard yellow and regretted nor waiting.

At one point I compared beiges. Yours looks like my 70. My 68 has a 73 beige top and 79 beige doors. Can find original paint on those. Each of those I purchased when there were three years old (73 top in 76 and 79 doors in 83. I also have five early Bumperettes in beige. The original owner of 70 has a 63 FJ40 and his dad had an early 40 as well. Where the fifth one came from he didn't remember. Have two matching sets and the fifth one doesn't match either. The 73 Dune Beige was darker than both.

Here is my 70 next to my 76.
IMG_0367.jpg

The paint chart in 40 series fax says it should be Dune Beige but looks lighter like Coronado Beige. That chart lists yellow as 76-83 but know it started in 75. I had a friend who bought one of the first 40 off the boat in the LA area. It was red and shortly after that he seen the mustard yellow and regretted nor waiting.

At one point I compared beiges. Yours looks like my 70. My 68 has a 73 beige top and 79 beige doors. Can find original paint on those. Each of those I purchased when there were three years old (73 top in 76 and 79 doors in 83. I also have five early Bumperettes in beige. The original owner of 70 has a 63 FJ40 and his dad had an early 40 as well. Where the fifth one came from he didn't remember. Have two matching sets and the fifth one doesn't match either. The 73 Dune Beige was darker than both.

Here is my 70 next to my 76.
View attachment 2671505
I think the reason it looks lighter is because its oxidized. Polish it up and I bet it gets darker.

What is also funny, to me at least, is I also have a 72 FST that had a similar home built cap on it as well. Unfortunately, I never got to see pics of it. I am still dealing with removing all the paint splatter from where it was obviously hastily repainted often. But, my truck is an amazing survivor, probably due to the cap keeping the rain off. Enjoying your posts.

0CA618CD-817F-4ED9-9DCF-36F2838D3E93.jpeg

Keith, I love this 72 FST truck! Waiting for more pictures.

Will have some more pics when I get the correct grey wheels, rear turn and stop signals, and the soft top together. My work is beyond glacially slow. Then maybe I will turn my attention to getting it running. Anyone else have this problem, wanting to do cosmetics before mechanicals?
20210701_131711.jpg

Here is a pic of the truck that started it all for me. My late brother, pictured, before he sold me his '63 Willys wagon (last year they made them).
I later sold that truck, regretted it, and much later got a red FJ40 (Miss Kitty) to fill the void. Haven't looked back since.

Here is something interesting, the branding of the plexiglass on some soft doors.
20210630_200107.jpg

@ToyotaMatt says that old flying saucer logo is for Toyota supplier Asahi Glass Company. They mark their stuff "AGC" today.

Will have some more pics when I get the correct grey wheels, rear turn and stop signals, and the soft top together. My work is beyond glacially slow. Then maybe I will turn my attention to getting it running. Anyone else have this problem, wanting to do cosmetics before mechanicals?
View attachment 2719049
Here is a pic of the truck that started it all for me. My late brother, pictured, before he sold me his '63 Willys wagon (last year they made them).
I later sold that truck, regretted it, and much later got a red FJ40 (Miss Kitty) to fill the void. Haven't looked back since.

Here is something interesting, the branding of the plexiglass on some soft doors.
View attachment 2719050
@ToyotaMatt says that old flying saucer logo is for Toyota supplier Asahi Glass Company. They mark their stuff "AGC" today.

My FST has the same logo on plexiglass

What is also funny, to me at least, is I also have a 72 FST that had a similar home built cap on it as well. Unfortunately, I never got to see pics of it. I am still dealing with removing all the paint splatter from where it was obviously hastily repainted often. But, my truck is an amazing survivor, probably due to the cap keeping the rain off. Enjoying your posts.

View attachment 2718687
When mine is up to snuff, we should drive 'em up around Mt. Hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom