Events/Trails HIH9 Trip Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paflytyer

100s in the Hills
Media Partner
Threads
Wow..... Nothing more needs to be said about HIH9.

Every HIH event has been my favorite, but this one just felt different. This one felt like family. There's a lot of stuff that's never gonna make it on the forum because it's just between us. If you were there, you know what I mean. Not everyone makes it to every single event but family is family. You could never convince me that there is another event that has the same measure of camaraderie, friendship and loyalty to one another than this one.

Trail closures? Yeah, right..... as if that meant anything to us. We could have sat around at camp together and had just as good of a time. But, we didn't. We explored, we learned, we laughed and we truly had the best HIH yet.

This event used to be about putting faces with MUD names. Now it's at the point where I know attendees by their first names and have no idea what their MUD names are.

HIH9 was legendary. We share much more than just a vehicle. Chris and I would like to thank all of you for making HIH9 an event like no other.

One of the things we appreciate so much is how fiercely loyal the HIH family is. Chris and I made our rounds to visit the business owners in town on Monday. They come from around the counter and shake our hands or give us a hug and thank us for bringing such quality people to their small slice of earth. Our event has an enormous impact on the local economy. Silverton isn't Aspen or Telluride (at least not yet) and our event can make or break their year. Thanks for supporting Silverton.

Even more important than that is how fiercely loyal we are to the generous sponsors of 100s in the Hills. Watching @nakman jump up and down and fire up the crowd to give away a fridge is just as fun as watching @benc humbly and quietly walk up and give away a bumper. These vendors are not here just to sell products, they're here to join you and me in a great town at a great event and on great trails. They bring their wives and children and are on a working vacation. They're able to join us and give away thousands of dollars in products because we support them in return by buying what we'd like, even when we don't win. Take a look at this list of sponsors. Some of them have been with us for 6+ years. We're a small event by event standards. These sponsors rely on us to keep their business growing and expanding by not only buying from them, but also by good ol' grassroots word of mouth. When someone asks you about buying a new product for their Land Cruiser or camp outfit, give them a name off this list. These are the folks that truly care about this event and do whatever it takes to join us each year. Carl Montoya of Nitro Gear and Axle mentioned how much he loves when someone calls his shop to order parts and mentions that they met him at HIH. When you call one of these vendors, mention HIH and thank them for their support. Let them know that their involvement in this community means a lot.

Gamiviti
Dissent Offroad
Bump it Offroad
Nitro Gear and Axle
Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT)
Diamondback Bicycles
Trekboxx
Rhino Rack
Otterbox
YodaMD
Owl Expeditions
Outer Limit Supply
Land Cruiser Grills
Sloop Imports
Delta Vehicle Systems
Summit Auto Transport
OutdoorX4
Land Shark Outfitters
Metal Tech
LSeat
LBBuiltwerks
IH8MUD

Last edited:
Finally home and unpacked. I'll be up early in the morning to repack and head for Montana. I have about 1200 photos and a few hours of video to sort through. I've already received some emails requesting photos. I promise I'll get to them.

The weather was spectacular and the trails were beautiful. I'll get more photos up as soon as I get home from Montana. I expect this trip report to be one of the better ones we've ever had. I can guarantee that there will be useful 100 series tech in this trip report and have asked @woody to leave it right here in the 100 series forum for a while.

The water crossings were epic, the weather was great, the gatherings were legendary and the memories of this one will last a lifetime. I laughed a lot and even cried a little.

Last edited:
Thanks for all you guys do, we had a blast this year
6FACA260-9188-40A6-972C-009D90FE9EB2.jpeg
0038FA20-3DD9-4C8F-A826-20D1317C5D93.jpeg
1FC9A57F-D25C-4ADE-B3CB-4515B009B142.jpeg

7A5A8809-75B2-4247-9DEA-F70082598495.jpeg

44F293E4-1D45-4AD7-97A5-E3678D5F0C0E.jpeg

Just got back and I need to go through my photos and gopro video tomorrow. Had an amazing time!

Another great year in the books! Stan and Chris thanks again for all the work, the people (insiders you might say) really make this event what it is. And I actually won something in the raffle this year. Thanks @kelly saad for the new grille and thanks @Ramathorn15 for the stainless snorkel grill.

8FDA5C89-47CE-4ED9-98BD-B625B3771238.jpeg

D915F450-628C-449D-8A83-D9C166B2215C.jpeg

6D8E5EF8-7B32-4969-BEB9-96DE75700174.jpeg

DB6B037B-A855-49B3-A8BB-0A179E818103.jpeg

070EA867-81E3-4DC7-A699-01E532BFC5E6.jpeg

The weather was spectacular and the trails were beautiful. I'll get more photos up as soon as I get home from Montana. I expect this trip report to be one of the better ones we've ever had. I can guarantee that there will be useful 100 series tech in this trip report and have asked @woody to leave it right here in the 100 series forum for a while.

Now that is a nice way of saying "y'alls stuff kept breaking all week"

Water crossings, avalanche debris fields like I've never seen before, snow well over the roofline, streams where there normally are not streams. It was an interesting and exciting year!

I'll have to soft through my photos to update this post, but here's a couple that stand out so far.

IMG_20190724_192000.jpg

IMG_20190724_202719.jpg

IMG_20190725_114019.jpg

IMG_20190725_152523.jpg

IMG_20190726_150130.jpg

We are still on the road heading through Mississippi towards GA. Looking forward to getting home tonight and decompressing then makeing a proper trip report.

Until then @paflytyer and @bluecruiser what a great event! My family gave it a 10 out of 10, and they are a tough crowd to please! We can’t wait until next year!!

Oh and that’s my LX in that first water crossing photo!!! How awesome is that?! @aaronrules it looks like I got you by just a tad!!! :p

CF8937F3-BD21-4E6F-9BCB-39ED1C33EA58.jpeg

I was just lectured by a friend about how I have not posted photos yet :p. For the people that were unable to make it to HIH, get some good pics up here for them! Thanks to San and Chris, and thank you to everyone there!

IMG_9809.jpg
IMG_9837.jpg
IMG_9844.jpg

UPDATE:
I think that @paflytyer really hit it on the head with, "Wow!" For me, this year, there were a lot of them.

Wow - We are always blown away when people actually show up and this year was the biggest event yet.

Wow - I did not know I could stand for about 20 straight hours on opening day/night in my slides (sandals for the less trendy).

Wow - I realized that drinking tasty beverages most of a a day (opening day) can actually catch up with you toward the end of the night.

Wow - Always blown away by the support of our vendors. They show up, have fun, and help us with everything. @woody was setting up chairs and tables, @gamiviti and Mike (BIOR) for an awesome opening night, @justdifferentials having a good time chatting everyone up and making the coffee & ladies wine night happen, @Riverrunner setting up a cigar session for a ton of people, @suprarx7nut sponsoring the ladies run, @benc as usual, bringing the thunder on raffle night and just being an overall nice guy, @kelly saad providing us all a look at his cool TRD blue 100 Series/building the cool map (not many people saw, but it was rad) and @neilsen100 thanks for fixing bikes (including my POS) and for providing a sweet Diamondback MTB in the raffle!.............I could go on and do not mean to exclude anyone.....THANK YOU ALL

Wow - I did not realize that @Ramathorn15 could literally break his truck every year

Wow - I didn't realize that pulling together new trails each night was going to consist of going through cases of @smakee 's beer supply

Wow - @geanes is a legit hero. Thanks for all the help Golden Gary!

Wow - Guys from Texas really like the snow (Snow Cowboys!!!)

Wow - I did not realize that serving pulled pork to 340-350 people would end of being a 7 beverage activity.....loved it!!

LAST ONE.

WOW - We did it again. A safe, fun trip to one of the best places on the planet. Met tons of new friends, talked with a lot of old long time friends, received a TON of awesome feedback and most importantly I am pretty sure that I had the shortest shorts at the event :) (you're welcome).

Big thanks to @Berney2000 for putting up with us!!!

Holding a spot for me to share my feelings and sub par photos

Last edited:
Just got home at 1:30am last night. Wow, what an event and gathering. The people made this event something i will never forget. Here's my place holder until i upload more photos.
Man, i do not miss this heat and humidity one bit.

IMG-20190726-WA0000.jpg

Time to break her down for a cleanup to return her to mall cruiser status. Oh, and figure out why my mfd started to act up on day two of driving back home.

20190730_120500_HDR.jpg

20190730_150957_HDR.jpg

20190730_171534.jpg

Last edited:
Finally home and unpacked. I'll be up early in the morning to repack and head for Montana. I have about 1200 photos and a few hours of video to sort through. I've already received some emails requesting photos. I promise I'll get to them.

The water crossings were epic, the weather was great, the gatherings were legendary and the memories of this one will last a lifetime. I laughed a lot and even cried a little.

@ga12r1 I have never witnessed a LC/LX launch like you did!!! The picture is awesome and the only thing that would make it better would have been to have Joy in the car and the look on her face!! @aaronrules I know your fan didn't make it but that a great picture!!

Drove home yesterday. After we passed through Montross I saw about 15 100s on the road but stopped receiving reciprocal waves from other 100s owners. Transitioning from the Land Cruiser Camp high into the real world is going to take awhile. Fortunately we did make stops for our two favorite CO beers.
IMG_8678.JPG

@ga12r1 I have never witnessed a LC/LX launch like you did!!! The picture is awesome and the only thing that would make it better would have been to have Joy in the car and the look on her face!! @aaronrules I know your fan didn't make it but that a great picture!!
Brett, neither of us would’ve been smiling if I’d been in the truck for this. Lol!

Another great HIH event, H and I really enjoyed ourselves! So nice to put still more usernames and faces together!!

I'd say I'm glad to be home, but it's 100+ degrees....missing those cool mornings!!

Going to love this thread. For those of you who drove onto the rock over looking the valley for the poser shot, how nervous were you pulling onto the rock and ledge?

Going to love this thread. For those of you who drove onto the rock over looking the valley for the poser shot, how nervous were you pulling onto the rock and ledge?

You can not see the rock to the left, right, and front, you basically only see the sky and mountaintops. Its.....nerve-racking to say the least. But just gotta trust your spotter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom