High Quality Engine Air Filter Alternative? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Another weekend in the silt, sand, and dirt, another air filter.

I normally use Toyota OEM air filters, but this name brand low cost alternative caught my eye. Bosch is the other major OEM supplier on par with Denso for Toyota vehicles. Denso is who makes the OEM Toyota filter. With as often as I change filters, ordered a couple to give it a whirl.

Bosch 5572WS. Can't say it's equal to the OEM without objective tests, but it does look promising and is a great price. If the Bosch brand is anything to go by, it should be on par to OEM requirements with the Denso.
- Construction looks identical
- Gasket seal is equally high quality
- Plastic frame is of the same design and quality
- Fit and finish OEM quality
- Equal number of pleats
- Media looks high quality but it does look different. Not as tufted and fibrous as the Denso media.
- 1/3 the cost on Amazon $9.97 vs $29.95

Amazon product ASIN B00VC1SA94
Amazon product ASIN B00KWDKPK0
Comparison pics - Bosch is new, OEM filter is used about 4k miles including recent offroad miles.

1698436596133.png

1698436624224.png

1698436738402.png

1698436759722.png

I wonder how the thickness compares? Bosch generally makes quality parts.

I appreciate saving money as the next guy, but this is one area where I'd stay away from Amazon for any consumable automotive part - filters included. You could get great stuff, but there's too much counterfeit stuff out there being hocked as genuine. Personally, I'd rather have a Napa Gold (Wix) vs. Bosch (despite Bosch having a good rep) given my experience. Again, OEM delievered from toyota would be my first choice. If you're going through that many filters/yr wait for the next sale and jump on it hard!

How about running a filter minder and only changing it when there is an actual reduction in performance?

Only real way to know is to conduct direct testing. I would stick to the OEM, looks more robust media but hard to tell when comparing new versus old.

Even if I am replacing 4 filters a year, $80 cost difference is not enough to make me take a chance unless I tested it myself.

All great points. In the grand scheme of things, the OEM filter is less than gas for better piece of mind. Especially with the type of dirt I wheel in as I don't want to risk any chance of dusting the motor. I have an OEM filter on hand that I'll likely switch back to on my next off-road trip.

How about running a filter minder and only changing it when there is an actual reduction in performance?

Good point and I've often thought to add one. Part of the thinking is I usually change it right after off-road trips rather than wait until some clogging threshold and risk dirt working its way through the media. The filters are so loaded up with silt. Here's what I tapped out. Compressed air takes out a ton more.

1698444780274.png

All great points. In the grand scheme of things, the OEM filter is less than gas for better piece of mind. Especially with the type of dirt I wheel in as I don't want to risk any chance of dusting the motor. I have an OEM filter on hand that I'll likely switch back to on my next off-road trip.

Good point and I've often thought to add one. Part of the thinking is I usually change it right after off-road trips rather than wait until some clogging threshold and risk dirt working its way through the media. The filters are so loaded up with silt. Here's what I tapped out. Compressed air takes out a ton more.

View attachment 3466602
Not sure if the 200 Series Donaldson air filter has been posted on this forum but in Australia we have had engine/turbo failures due to dust which we describe as the engine has been dusted.

The filter is not the issue it is more the filter housing allowing dust to by-pass the filter as the rubber seal around the edging sometimes is not sealing correctly.

PowerCore is Donaldson's newest technology air filter system, first appearing in 1999, then progressively updated since.

The following link will give you a good inside into the Donaldson filter:

Donaldson PowerCore XLC200K - https://www.project200.com.au/powercore/

The filter mod requires a full replacement of the filter housing and filter. The housing has a tell tail indicator that tells when the filter needs replacing. The filter is not cheap but will last much longer than the original filter.

Not sure if the 200 Series Donaldson air filter has been posted on this forum but in Australia we have had engine/turbo failures due to dust which we describe as the engine has been dusted.

The filter is not the issue it is more the filter housing allowing dust to by-pass the filter as the rubber seal around the edging sometimes is not sealing correctly.

PowerCore is Donaldson's newest technology air filter system, first appearing in 1999, then progressively updated since.

The filter mod requires a full replacement of the filter housing and filter. The housing has a tell tail indicator that tells when the filter needs replacing. The filter is not cheap but will last much longer than the original filter.
I seem to remember someone with a 5.7 v8 fitting the application for a 4.6.. it had notably smaller piping but they reported no noticeable loss in power. I’ll try to dig that up.

I have noticed a very small amount of extremely fine dust in the clean side of my air filter box.. k&n filter grease has solved that for me.

Here is the AU 570 with it installed

On any aftermarket air filter, look carefully at the gasket for fit, deformities and softness. If that seal is not really good, the filter material almost doesn’t matter because the leaking seal will let in dirt. My local Toyota dealer does not use OEM parts for things like filters. The one they put in my LC during the 2 year free service interval was a cheap Carquest and the gasket was atrocious. It was in there for only the 9 mile trip home.

@TeCKis300

OEM is the benchmark (without any empiric data). It is impossible to objective recommend a filter—given the subjective and variable conditions under which we operate our LCs.

You run in a lot of sand, dust, silt, etc.—far different from me.

I’m in the SE where I run most often on dirt, gravel, and damp conditions which minimize a ton of fine dust. I also have a Safari snorkel and pre filter for dusty conditions. What works for me—may/may not work for you.

That said, I run the AEM Dryflow (synthetic non-oiled media) as the filter gasket seals better in my air box than the Toyota OEM (which is obvious if you compare the filter gaskets and fit). It is different from the K&N oiled cotton gauze.

After 12k miles/1 year, I have zero dust/residue post-filter in my air box.

I doubt the AEM will compromise the life expectancy of my 3UR-FE.

Last edited:
I find my OEM filter needs much less maintenance since installing the dorkel.
I have vague plans to add a filter minder/vacuum detector thing someday.

I have been watching that product. Unfortunately for me, I need a CARB certification to pass smog in CA. I also saw something that it was not a direct fit (diesel vs gas). I would love to install something better than OEM, we have very fine silt here in the desert of western USA and it gets really dry and dusty in the summer.

Donaldson makes good stuff. If I knew it'd work in my 5.7 petrol, I'd heavily consider it.

Has anyone tried the K&n filter? Because it's cleanable. I've used and cleaned my K&N from different sports cars, but won't see the same amount of dust.

Factory filters, even a few hundred thousand miles worth of them, are far cheaper than an engine. Oiled gauze filters let more dust through, and the oil from them stands a chance of ruining your MAF sensor. AND they don’t make more power.

Run away.

Last edited:
Factory filters, even a few hundred thousand miles worth of them, are far cheaper than an engine. Oiled gauze filters let more dust through, and the oil from them stands a chance of ruining your MAF sensor. AND they don’t make more power.

Run away.
Huh good to know they let more dust in. That's enough reason lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom