Cabin Air Filter (DIY) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heritage 2020

SILVER Star
Threads
Greetings All,

Edited: This won’t keep someone else from breaking your cabin filter door, lock the glovebox.

My Toyota OEM cabin filter looked bad after 20k miles. Neither my wife nor I have allergies, but after looking at the dirt/crap in the filter—time to dump it.

I sought a reusable solution to replacing paper cabin filters.

NOTE: This is not a product endorsement.

1. Get a K&N VF2000 Cabin Air Filter.
2. Start your engine.
3. Turn on Auto AC Setting.
4. Set Recirc (recirculated air).
5. Turn off the engine as the recirculating doors are now where you need them.
6. Replace the Toyota OEM Cabin Air Filter with the K&N (reference YouTube if needed).
7. Button it up and adhere the stickers.

NOTE(S):

-5 minutes at most, if you follow the process above.
-From there it is up to you to decide how often to clean it (and to keep it secured/from being accessed by service personnel).

74785393-DE70-4F4A-B9B4-68F722FD7897.jpeg

547A19AF-B413-41C2-B021-BA123A019BE3.jpeg

A05933B3-1B49-478F-81E0-84E43C33AE88.jpeg

3EF7467B-F3E5-4A36-A4C9-CA912CE0B490.jpeg

69075246-ACBC-4067-A8A3-5EA205389F02.jpeg

DE94654D-E401-4641-8286-300A3210CD1F.jpeg

Last edited:
This is one thing where YouTube is a fail. One one popular vehicle maintenance site has the guy forcing open the fresh/recirc change door when it’s in the fresh position. That site is probably responsible for many broken hinges from DIY work.

How does this fix a broken door? Or prevent one being broken? Any time you leave your vehicle at a dealer they are likely to check your filter and risk breaking the flap when they do, and warning stickers don’t have a good track record of preventing this.

Literally the only sure-fire method to avoid a broken door is don’t give them the opportunity.. lock the glove box and keep the key blade with you.

This is one thing where YouTube is a fail. One one popular vehicle maintenance site has the guy forcing open the fresh/recirc change door when it’s in the fresh position. That site is probably responsible for many broken hinges from DIY work.

Just as many if not more are discovered broken on dealer-maintained-only vehicles.

How does this fix a broken door? Or prevent one being broken? Any time you leave your vehicle at a dealer they are likely to check your filter and risk breaking the flap when they do, and warning stickers don’t have a good track record of preventing this.

Literally the only sure-fire method to avoid a broken door is don’t give them the opportunity.. lock the glove box and keep the key blade with you.

Just as many if not more are discovered broken on dealer-maintained-only vehicles.

@bloc you are correct. My bad. Edited.

Lifetime filters are a crock of s***.

They never clean up like they were new and the dP increases and performance slowly degrades over time.

Dang it. I was hoping that my fancy cabin air filter would add at least 10 rwhp, sigh,…

Very happy with both my K&N filters.
It's a sore subject in tech.

FYI, there is a chit chat section where people are actually nice and decent, most don't have their head up their ass.

Very happy with both my K&N filters.
It's a sore subject in tech.

FYI, there is a chit chat section where people are actually nice and decent, most don't have their head up their ass.
Thanks. I could care less about keyboard warrior opinions/attitudes on a chat board.

I am replacing my air cabin filter every service (I am DIY service guy). Till now used the original OEM filter -

Amazon product ASIN B07CX2TZLV
It's $35 price seems too high comparing to products of Bosch and others.
Do you recommend of using a 3rd party good quality cabin air filer? if yes, what brand?

My filter part number is: 87139-YZZ37

Please share the links.

Many thanks,
Aifer

I am replacing my air cabin filter every service (I am DIY service guy). Till now used the original OEM filter -

Amazon product ASIN B07CX2TZLV
It's $35 price seems too high comparing to products of Bosch and others.
Do you recommend of using a 3rd party good quality cabin air filer? if yes, what brand?

My filter part number is: 87139-YZZ37

Please share the links.

Many thanks,
Aifer

That is a lot of money for what it is, but I’ve found a big drop in how well the filter fits into the frame and seals when trying different aftermarket options.

I’d maybe shop around for cheaper sources

Also that seems to be a charcoal filter, a basic filter element would probably be cheaper. I used 87139-30040 recently and while this was in the states it was only about $20 from a dealer’s discount website.

Lifetime filters are a crock of s***.

They never clean up like they were new and the dP increases and performance slowly degrades over time.

Maybe a bit harsh but it is true.

Here's my compromise after trying a few different brands. I swap often especially after off-road trips out in the desert silt.

Cheap, reasonable quality, and lots of pleats compared to other 3rd party filters

Amazon product ASIN B01HAWMBH0
Now if I could only find a lower cost engine air filter I trust. No way would I do K&N in that environments as they simply don't filter well. Until then, eating through OEM Toyota Engine filters. Cheaper than gas so might as well be a consumable.

I ran one of those K&N cabin air filters in my Tundra for years - probably for over 150,000 miles of driving - and I found it worked just fine. It was easy to clean and re-oil with the special kit. I also found that the rubber frame it was in sealed better than the OEM. I cleaned it whenever it got dirty. It was still working just fine when I traded the Tundra in on the LC. Before that, I was spending 35 bucks every few months or so on charcoal infused filters. After going with the K&N, I did not notice a difference in filtering. It costs about 50 bucks for the filter and a cleaning kit if I remember correctly. At least for the Tundra, it kept the shop monkeys out of the glove box.

For engine filter? Stay OEM. My Tundra came with the TRD CAI which had the oiled cotton gauze filter. While the engine was still running fine at 240,000 miles and did not burn oil, I could still see a fine layer of dust in the intake. This was not the case for the wife's 4Runner running the OEM filter.

Maybe a bit harsh but it is true.

Here's my compromise after trying a few different brands. I swap often especially after off-road trips out in the desert silt.

Cheap, reasonable quality, and lots of pleats compared to other 3rd party filters

Amazon product ASIN B01HAWMBH0
Now if I could only find a lower cost engine air filter I trust. No way would I do K&N in that environments as they simply don't filter well. Until then, eating through OEM Toyota Engine filters. Cheaper than gas so might as well be a consumable.
Thanks,
How's the fit comparing to the OEM one? no gaps?

Can someone clarify for me real quick, which part is at risk of breakage if the instructions for filter replacement aren't followed?

And what are the symptoms of breakage?

Thanks,
How's the fit comparing to the OEM one? no gaps?

Seems to fit the way most filters fit. It didn't seem to particularly stand. I would say loose as that seems to be how the OEM one fit also.

Can someone clarify for me real quick, which part is at risk of breakage if the instructions for filter replacement aren't followed?

The linkage between the actuator motor and the door gets broken. The fresh/recirc change door will no longer work.

For many the door itself breaks.
Lots of info here.

Greetings All,

Edited: This won’t keep someone else from breaking your cabin filter door, lock the glovebox.

My Toyota OEM cabin filter looked bad after 20k miles. Neither my wife nor I have allergies, but after looking at the dirt/crap in the filter—time to dump it.

I sought a reusable solution to replacing paper cabin filters.

NOTE: This is not a product endorsement.

1. Get a K&N VF2000 Cabin Air Filter.
2. Start your engine.
3. Turn on Auto AC Setting.
4. Set Recirc (recirculated air).
5. Turn off the engine as the recirculating doors are now where you need them.
6. Replace the Toyota OEM Cabin Air Filter with the K&N (reference YouTube if needed).
7. Button it up and adhere the stickers.

NOTE(S):

-5 minutes at most, if you follow the process above.
-From there it is up to you to decide how often to clean it (and to keep it secured/from being accessed by service personnel).

View attachment 3327648

View attachment 3327649

View attachment 3327650

View attachment 3327651

View attachment 3327652

View attachment 3327653
Just checked mine (2015 LX) to see if door would open, it wouldn't but looking closer there is 2 tabs, one on each side on top of door and releasing them door comes completely out to access filter....no hinges on door to open & close just comes off. Was this a fix for a broken door?

I have a Kootek model KCF005 cabin air filter, which I bought for my 2015 LX, it was cheaper to buy two at the time, I used one before. This one I no longer need. Any LX570 or LC Seattle owner, if you would like to pick it up free from Bellevue, please contact me. I just hate to throw a perfectly good filter into a garbage bin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom