Cabin Air Filter (DIY) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe a bit harsh but it is true.

Here's my compromise after trying a few different brands. I swap often especially after off-road trips out in the desert silt.

Cheap, reasonable quality, and lots of pleats compared to other 3rd party filters

Amazon product ASIN B01HAWMBH0
Now if I could only find a lower cost engine air filter I trust. No way would I do K&N in that environments as they simply don't filter well. Until then, eating through OEM Toyota Engine filters. Cheaper than gas so might as well be a consumable.
This is what I’m using. Change every 10k miles. Works great even in the Midwest harvest season where air quality is terrible.

Can someone clarify for me real quick, which part is at risk of breakage if the instructions for filter replacement aren't followed?

And what are the symptoms of breakage?
I posted a detailed video of mine recently. Shows what happened to mine, how I fixed it, and also some other tips.

Here's the video:
-

Also, here is the procedure to pull the diagnostic codes for the air conditioner / HVAC system to see what errors are stored, and also how to clear them.

Video here
-

Greetings All,

Edited: This won’t keep someone else from breaking your cabin filter door, lock the glovebox.

My Toyota OEM cabin filter looked bad after 20k miles. Neither my wife nor I have allergies, but after looking at the dirt/crap in the filter—time to dump it.

I sought a reusable solution to replacing paper cabin filters.

NOTE: This is not a product endorsement.

1. Get a K&N VF2000 Cabin Air Filter.
2. Start your engine.
3. Turn on Auto AC Setting.
4. Set Recirc (recirculated air).
5. Turn off the engine as the recirculating doors are now where you need them.
6. Replace the Toyota OEM Cabin Air Filter with the K&N (reference YouTube if needed).
7. Button it up and adhere the stickers.

NOTE(S):

-5 minutes at most, if you follow the process above.
-From there it is up to you to decide how often to clean it (and to keep it secured/from being accessed by service personnel).
Whats the long-term review of this? Worth it?

Whats the long-term review of this? Worth it?
Yes, I’d definitely purchase the K&N cabin air filter again as I inspect it every 5k miles and thus far hasn’t needed cleaning.

My wife has allergies (I don’t)—and no difference noticed by either of us vs OEM. No smells, no dust, and no difference as I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom