High powered alternators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo

SILVER Star
Threads
There has been plenty of discussions about upgrading the stock alternator with one that puts out a few more amps. Not sure I’m into the Mean Green and I’m too late for a Photoman set up, I think. It also looks like there are a few companies to choose from when i search.

Because this particular alternator is reasonably priced I was wondering if anyone information on it?

I’m also open to suggestions for higher amp output alternators (if it is not rehashing older threads about the same subject)

thanks

devo

Last edited:
Someone on Facebook posted a link to an eBay auction for a setup that looks basically identical to the @Photoman kit earlier today actually. No idea if he's behind that part or not. Why are you too late? Did he stop making them or something?

On topic of your question, no experience unfortunately.

Holy cow, 320 amp versions for the V8’s?!

I guess it would be nice to keep it Toyota components as we expect better longevity, but there is also the option of trying to build brackets to swap in something that it wasn’t designed for. More fab and stuff required but it seems like a smaller alternator that’s hopped up for more power usually isn’t as robust as a larger alternator that came with more output in stock form.

I put an alternator off a GM/Isuzu vehicle on my cummins last year mostly for the vacuum pump

Why does everyone seem to think @Photoman is out of business? As far as i know, you can put in a jag alternator (denso), stay stock or do the photoman if you want to keep things brand appropriate. I am sure there are plenty of other good brands that make alternators but because i am lazy i stick with Denso. I believe all of these are still very much viable options. For the photoman bracket the turn round was less than a week, maybe 4 days, so if you need more juice Right this second maybe a junk yard search for the jag option and hope it is still good. The jag itself will be garbage obviously, but maybe that keeps it from getting picked over too quickly.

I went with the Jag option. Ordered from Rockauto and ate the $25 core charge. After spending 30 minutes grinding on the bracket, bolted it in and haven't looked back. Other than running 6ga wire to the battery, ditching the fusible link and the ever slightly more difficult to adjust belt tension. I honestly don't know why more people don't do this and spend a pile more money for brackets and such.

My impression from older threads was that Photoman wasn’t doing the brackets any more? Guess I’ll ask him.

What is there Jag option? I prefer to stay stock with an alternator that has a little more zip!

devo

My impression from older threads was that Photoman wasn’t doing the brackets any more? Guess I’ll ask him.

What is there Jag option? I prefer to stay stock with an alternator that has a little more zip!

devo
I bought a Photoman bracket 2 months ago and installed it last week. Just send him a PM on here.

Jag option; is in "Jaguar?"

If so, haven't heard of this BUT, if so, ":Jaguar and electrical" doesn't sound like a long term solution.

Please educate me.

No kidding! But you would only be getting an alternator from one made by denso so you shouldn't have to worry about the rest of the vehicle. It does seem odd that they got such a nice alternator when they could have put that kind of care in to the fuel pumps or really most of the rest of the vehicle to make it more reliable .

80 amp for later models i believe, not sure what is on the older models maybe 50 amp?

wow.. thanks to the new LED technology, I have 11 baja designs lights that all together draw 37amps... :clap: ...now i never have all 11 on at the same time since that's forward/ side/ fog/ driving & rear all combined.

what's the amperage on the stock ones? this thread....this isn't something I knew I needed until now...another mudventure!
Stock is conservatively rated at 80 amps. Add up every factory electrical user and all totaled is about 62 amps. I’m not big on adding a bunch of electical accessory’s as my 80 is a wheeler not a motor home and my power house car stereo days are long gone. I do, however, work the crap out of my battery and alternator with the winch and I’ve never had a problem with my less than huge AGM battery and stock alternator refurbished by Denso.

Yes, I go wheeling at night, during winter and get stuck. That means heater blower, all lights, possibly wipers running and then the winching. Never a problem with my charging system. But then again 39” tires are the new 33’s. More is better.

If you find that you can’t live without more amps at your disposal, do go with the photoman bracket and bigger sequoia alternator rather than wasting your time with a “high powered” stock sized alternator. They don’t measure up nor do they hold up.

I bought a stock sized 140 amp alternator and it wouldn’t charge below 1100 rpm’s. The place that built it didn’t even believe in trying to squeeze more out of an original size alternator but they did it because so many people want it and will pay for it.

Batteries can only accept a charge at a certain rate no matter how powerful the voltage pump is.

There are ways to save amps on an 80. Upgrading interior lighting to LED is one; each interior dome light i believe is 25watts stock, my replacement LEDs are 3watt and dramatically brighter. My headlights are LED for high and low beam. Old battery cables and alternator cables being replaced with new will improve power transmission etc. Cleaning up the motors in the doors and in the heater/AC fan etc all will help them get back to their original efficiency. More people have items charging phones, running additional communication equipment (including entertainment sound), fridges and those blinding lightbars. But not all of those are needed at the same time. As long as your alternator can charge at idle, you have enough. It would be more useful to have a larger storage in most cases like a dual battery setup. Its not wrong to go overkill on an 80, people armor up beyond any kind of need and carry stuff to prepare for the end of the world, so you can always justify an upgrade without a need with "just cause". we all do it some place. Remember if you really need to, you can get one of these
Premier Power Welder, LLC - http://premierpowerwelder.com/ but then you have to figure out a bracket for whatever they have available since i don't think they have one for a sequoia, jag or 80.

Do you have one of these or have experience with them?

I ask because as others have pointed out, companies that rebuild stock size and add windings have had trouble with the solenoids. Like the general consensus is go with an alternator that is larger and came with more powah from the factory than have the stock size re-wound..

Do you have one of these or have experience with them?

I ask because as others have pointed out, companies that rebuild stock size and add windings have had trouble with the solenoids. Like the general consensus is go with an alternator that is larger and came with more powah from the factory than have the stock size re-wound..
No experience. I'm just posting a link I found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom