Builds Here we go again! 64 FJ40 Frame off Restomod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grey...
Pic prior to installing wing window..

20190129_102420.jpg

Blue...

20190128_174100.jpg

This is looking just incredible!
I'd love to hear what you come up with on the bubbling of the paint... just from a technical perspective I'm curious.

Thanks!

My plan is to remove the fender and DA those areas down to bare metal plus about 6-10 inches from that area. (feathered)
Then hit it with some epoxy primer, then based on how that settles, I may add an additional coat of primer filler. Then sand, and wet sand with 400, then shoot the color.

I will document how that actually goes, because sometimes things don't go as planned. :) I am going to hold off on doing this until I am done with the entire rig and it's drivable. The top is near complete, just a couple more patches, then fill, sand, prime and paint. Then will come the new headliner.

This is taking more time than I thought because my time has been diverted to working on my 78. I am installing a Holley Sniper EFI system into it, and should have that completed this weekend. I love driving my 78.. Puts a smile on my face everywhere I go! (sometimes others too!)

Can't wait to get it back on the road since 1992!!!

Last edited:
Top is in paint.
About 40 hours into the top cap alone.
Drip rail needed about 7 patches.
This thing is so big, getting it flat and ready for paint is a huge task.
Still need to cut and buff, as well as install the headliner then mount.
20190324_143737.jpg

Getting stuff done.
Installed the hard top, and got one rear window installed. The window on the bifold door is proving to be a real pita! Anyone have suggestions on getting that thing installed?
Issue is the tight corners...
Anyhoo, started really tackling the wiring yesterday and today. It's pretty basic, but I'm dealing with a non oem harness as it pertains to the ignition harness. The wiring going to the alternator is homemade and is making me scratch my head.
I've looked at several basic diagrams so I think Ill be alright. But I dont know if it was wired for a voltage regulator, or if the alternator was internally regulated. Also, didnt see a ballast resistor in the original setup...

20190412_175823.jpg
20190503_203012.jpg

Getting stuff done.
Installed the hard top, and got one rear window installed. The window on the bifold door is proving to be a real pita! Anyone have suggestions on getting that thing installed?
Issue is the tight corners...
Anyhoo, started really tackling the wiring yesterday and today. It's pretty basic, but I'm dealing with a non oem harness as it pertains to the ignition harness. The wiring going to the alternator is homemade and is making me scratch my head.
I've looked at several basic diagrams so I think Ill be alright. But I dont know if it was wired for a voltage regulator, or if the alternator was internally regulated. Also, didnt see a ballast resistor in the original setup...

View attachment 1969077View attachment 1969078
Looking Good!!! Love that color.

Well that bubbling paint on the fenders was driving me crazy.
The fenders have always bugged me anyways so I just bought new ones... they didn't have supports, and were missing lots of factory holes. They came from Pakistan I think so screw it...
Got the new ones into paint this afternoon.
20190609_200554.jpg
20190609_201632.jpg

Last edited:
Lot's of stuff since last update.

Installed windshield with new glass and OEM weatherstrip.
Finalized hard top install with custom weatherstrip as the one for the 64 is NLA.
Fitted rear hatch hardware after fiddling with it. Needs to be just right to work as intended. (very small tolerances for the levers to move freely)
Finished installing and routing hard brake lines. (using new 10mm hoses, fittings, and hardware) (it's sporting a 1976 disc brake front axle)
Installed clutch slave and related hoses / lines. Bled the slave and it functions properly.
Ran the basic wiring for engine start up including routing to the ignition switch.
Temporarily ran fuel line into small can and STARTED IT UP FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!

Runs like a top. (only for a few seconds)

Had a small fuel leak at the base of the carb, so I tightened that down a bit. Showed no sign of manifold or exhaust leaks!

Still need to wrap up wiring (seems to take forever but mostly done)

Installed my new light and wiper switch knobs! (look very nice)

Still have to fill the brake master with fluid and bleed.
Need to figure out the 4WD handle and the hardware related to it. Seem to be missing the rod that goes through it and engages the FD knob?

Also the gear shifter seems to be semi stuck. Only goes from 2nd to 3rd, or it may be Reverse to first... Any ideas on that? I'll post it up as a separate topic...

Anyhoo, almost there!!! My goal is to have it running and driving by Sep 1 (or sooner). Taking it to a local car show (carousel cruise here in Salem OR) Then throwing it up for sale!

Nice! Do you have a digital file of sorts of the measurements or tracing for your homemade mirror bracket? I’m looking to do the same thing but yet to get my hands on an original one or replication for measurements. Thanks.

Here's one.

I have some more somewhere...
20180222_182325.jpg

This truck showed up at my shop for an inspection last week; details to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom