Help with 3-link on '99 4-Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sorry to hijack, but what kind of antenna base do you have for your ARB? I have had trouble keeping my CB antenna tight.

After almost 9 months I was finally able to roll the truck out into the middle of the shop. I will have to get heavier springs for the front and modify the rear axle end coilover mounts a bit but it was nice to finally see it out of the coner.
View attachment 396140
I love this bumper sticker. Picked it up from a super cool guy at Cruise Moab.
View attachment 396141
Almost 48" under the tire.
View attachment 396142

Mmml4, I'll have to check on the separation measurements and will post up tomorrow. Pillguy, not sure why you've had problems. I'm running a typical Firestik antenna with some mounting parts from Radioshack. The difference might be that I have one of those serrated external locking washers in the stack. It has been mounted for about 2 years now with no problems. If you'd like I'll take a close up picture of the mounting confirguration.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could post some close ups. Your truck looks great.
Mmml4, I'll have to check on the separation measurements and will post up tomorrow. Pillguy, not sure why you've had problems. I'm running a typical Firestik antenna with some mounting parts from Radioshack. The difference might be that I have one of those serrated external locking washers in the stack. It has been mounted for about 2 years now with no problems. If you'd like I'll take a close up picture of the mounting confirguration.

Mmml4, your guess proved very accurate. Vertical separation is 7" at the axle and 5" at the frame. Hope it helps.

Pillguy here are some pictures of the antenna. From the top with the nylon isolator.
DSC00925.JPG
And from the bottum. It's hard to see but the serrated external lock washer is between the nut and the flat washer up top. It seems to help to keep it from coming loose.
DSC00927.jpg
DSC00925.JPG
DSC00927.jpg

Thanks dude. I think my problem has been not having a good lockwasher. I used some plastic washers to fill the gap of the hole in the ARB and it usually kept coming off after a time.

Thanks
:)
Mmml4, your guess proved very accurate. Vertical separation is 7" at the axle and 5" at the frame. Hope it helps.

JHHEEPETR

T Pillguy here are some pictures of the antenna. From the top with the nylon isolator.
View attachment 400904
And from the bottum. It's hard to see but the serrated external lock washer is between the nut and the flat washer up top. It seems to help to keep it from coming loose.
View attachment 400905

The truck moved under its' own power for the first time yesterday! It is getting exhaust today and should be ready to run around. Pics to follow.:cheers:

Just curious how you figured your spring rates? at 100/150, you are at 60lbs/inch, even going to 150/250 youre still only going to be at 93lbs/inch. I am running 160lbs/inch and I think it is still a little soft. I have an FJ55, with a V8. I got my springs from an online shop that took a stab at the rates. I was just trying to research spring rates and would like to hear how you picked your rates.

Thanks!

Ryan.

I'm running only a line lock for now. The rear disc conversion eliminated my factory cable e-brake. Going to miss you Georgia guys at Moab.

I'm hoping to have the truck ready for its first run by early March. I will probably just run it up in the woods at first and then would like to run the Wild Bill trail in the Flathead this spring (weather permitting). Most likely with the snow Cruise Moab will be the first real outing.... I just want to be used to the truck by then. I'm planning to run Pritchett on Saturday and would like to be settled in for it.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the build. It's been a lot of work and it's always fun to see it start coming together. I hope to have the new springs in a week or so and will post some more pictures then. Both front and rear spring rates proved to be too soft. Looks like I'll be trying 150/250 front and rear. Currently it's 100/150 front and 100/250 rear. The front is way too soft and the rear would be perfect had it not been for an empty fuel cell and no recovery gear.

I had Offroad Engineering figure the initial rate and we've adjusted from there. The 100# springs were far too soft but with 150/250 at all four coners the truck sits perfect with only pre-load by hand. It is incredibly soft and needs a sway bar badly though. I finally got it out this evening for a little experimenting. Here's a couple more in the shop.
DSC00930.jpg
50" under the front tire before the rear started to lift.
DSC00935.jpg
Here's how the back turned out with the coilover mounts.
DSC00941.jpg
DSC00930.jpg
DSC00935.jpg
DSC00941.jpg

DSC00939.jpg
The muffler shop did an awesome job. Tucked up as high as possible, muffler will be protected by future skid and all blacked out with Magnaflow can.
DSC00934.JPG
Here's the truck next to my tundra.
DSC00936.JPG
DSC00934.JPG
DSC00939.jpg
DSC00936.JPG

I took the truck down to Fort Missoula for some very mild "offroading"; nothing hardcore but a chance to see how the suspension rides. Aside from needing the sway bars for street use it rides awesome and tracks straight with no hands on the wheel. Corners at speed feel like it wants to roll over but bump steer is minimal.
DSC00938.jpg
DSC00937.jpg
DSC00938.jpg
DSC00937.jpg

have any close up pics of the mud flap set up?

Great pictures. It looks WOW...:steer:

Looks awesome!!

Maybe I am just confusing to soft of springs with a need for sway bars, because I definitely know what you mean about wanting to roll over in fast corners.

I can't wait to see more pictures! Great Job!

Thanks guys. Scottryana I may still have some suspension tuning to do also. I havn't run the numbers yet on the calculator and need to do some refreshing to understand where it could help given the adjustment I have. I know the sring rate was estimated using the sprung/unsprung weight and where I wanted the truck to sit at ride height in relation to coilover length. The front is just slighty heavier but I also needed a little more compresson at ride height in the front and that's why the rate ended up the same front and rear. Aside from the body roll in the corners it otherwise handles pretty well. I looked it over this morning and discovered a very slow leak in the steering box. I was sure I'd probably run into this because I chose not to put a new seal kit in the box when it was out.:rolleyes:

Benmara here's a couple shots of the mud flaps. I made them from conveyor belt I vulcanized some hoops into. They pin through the rear bumper with some tractor pins.
DSC00944.jpg
DSC00945.jpg
DSC00944.jpg
DSC00945.jpg

dammit that looks good man!:eek: The Heepetr looks hungry!!

Can you post some upclose shots of your steering setup? ..and your front panhard?

Stop by over here too:
Croz's 06' 4Runner SAC - rocksolidtoys.com

Lots of really good info for SAS on that forum ...not that you really need it now. :grinpimp: I'm going to need a few pointers too.

I was able to get the steering figured out this weekend. The shaft is 3/4" 4140 and the box/pin style joint is from LoveJoy. Its nice to finally have the tires turning from the steering wheel.
View attachment 379563

I see it now after going back. Can you get another shot with some better light?

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I have been working out of town for about a week. Here are a couple more pictures of the steering setup with flash. I had to make a bracket for the heim joint to support the steering shaft because it has three joints and would otherwise want to oscilate.
DSC00949.jpg
DSC00951.jpg
DSC00949.jpg
DSC00951.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom