Help - what did I do now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's up everyone. I was hoping for a little help to know where to start troubleshooting my freshly created problem. I have no power when I turn the key. Not accessory, On, or starter trigger.

Some of you may have seen my recent alternator upgrade thread. I just finished putting a GM10si into the lower driver side spot below my Saginaw PS conversion. 65 amp, as I wanted a little more power over the 40 amp my 73 has stock. Ran a new 6 gauge direct to the battery. Based on a bunch of old threads about this, I learned the 10Si alternator needed a key switched lead to go to on one of the 2 posts on the alternator. The other is bridged to the battery charge terminal. They keyed lead basically tells the alternator is it good to charge. While I was at it I put new 2 gauge ground cables from the battery to the block. I used a round fuse tap and grabbed a lead from the fuse panel. Wired a specific resistor inline with that lead, as I understand those alternators want that there to simulate the load of an "it's charging" light. i unplugged the OEM Charge light, as that was always on, telling me the system wasn't getting charged. I unplugged the OEM votage regualtor.

Got it running and it ran great for about a week. Ran stronger and the lights were a little brighter on the dash, blinkers ect. Figured mostly that was the better grounding. The other day I went into the bank and came out and it was dead. I instantly figured uh oh..elecrtical. I first thought ignition so I unplugged and re-plugged it, and low and behold, it started and ran...for about 10 min, then same totally dead in the water. Checked all the fuses. All good. Battery connections are all good and tight. Once again, after about 10 min of fiddling with the ignition switch plug, it came back and ran. Got me about a 1/2 mile from home then died while I was driving. Coasted to safety, got a tow rope and my Sequioa and got her home. It's been dead ever since. No Signs of life.

I've pulled the ignition switch out, tested it, and pulled it apart. It tests fine, continuity to all terminals. When plugged it back in and I tested for voltage to each of the 3 other wires, it has 12 volts to the main lead, but when i try the other leads, they show no current. Ordered a new one, which I should see next week. Also dropped the fuse panel and everything seems OK there. All fuses pass a continuity test. I've been trying to study the wiring diagram, but am struggle to glean anything helpful.

So any suggestions about where to go from here are very much appreciated. At this point, if the answer is to go back to the stock set up and live with 40 amps, I'll do it. I'm confused by my testing of the ignition switch. One test has me thinking it's good, the other has me thinking it's bad. Physical inspection has it looking fine. I guess the bigger concern, is what stupid thing did I do by changing the alternator. I read through a ton of threads and thought I did it right, but l must have done something.

I just had to go messing with things!!!! Thx in advance :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Can you sketch out a schematic of your understanding of how things are wired

20220419_084506.jpg

Was doing some reading about the OEM Fusible link. I know that while the new alternator can push out up to 63 amps, it's only gonna send what the load demands. I haven't added any extra load. Didn't fully get what a fusible link even was until i just read up on it...Basically it's a fuse in wire form, right? Maybe I killed or damaged mine? Gonna go test it in a bit.

Was talking with a family friend who's an engineer and a bit of a car guy (has a 71 Couger with a juiced up Cleveland in there) this weekend and he mentioned that maybe the new ground wires having so much less resistance that there's essentially more flow going through everything now and the other wires that are still in there have the corrosion causing more resistance, so they are no longer "matched" like they were when everything was new or had the same level of age on them...Not sure about this part, but it made sense in theory.

Can you upgrade the fusible link to a breaker or fuse and is this a good or bad idea?

Fusible link! One of the ends was hanging on by a thread! When I pulled it off and looked into the connector, it broke clean off. Took the spade connector out, soldered it, and she lives again!

Curious about the actual fuse or breaker upgrade. Any thoughts there?

Fusible link! One of the ends was hanging on by a thread! When I pulled it off and looked into the connector, it broke clean off. Took the spade connector out, soldered it, and she lives again!

"Everything you need to know about fusible links"

sticking with fusible links...gotta love how much stuff is on here if you dig!

So looks like I'll need to make my own new fusible link if I want to replace the original. The plastic clips on there are pretty crusty and are breaking. Finding some suitable replacement plugs should be easy enough. Thought I'd make a few of them, so I can carry a spare. Can't seem to find the size of wires listed anywhere for a 73.

I know you need the fusible link wire to be 2 gauges (4 numbers) smaller than what it's protecting (12 gauge feed wire would a 16 gauge fusible link wire). Does anyone know what sizes I'm dealing with off hand? The connector to the battery just before the fusible link looks like it's 12 gauge, but that's just a guess. Pretty sure I read the stock wire from the alternator on mine is 10 gauge and it's smaller than that for sure. Has to be a 14, 16 or 18 gauge fusible link wire.

Looked into something of his not too long ago and thought I read he wasn't doing much anymore. I'll check again
He's not rebuilding harnesses but I thought he was still selling stuff from his online store.....but I've been wrong before.

Glad you fingered it out!

Are you thinking about replacing fusible link w/ breaker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom