HELP I'm about to fly 1500 miles and buy a rusted Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There was a very nice (in the posted photos) tripled locked 40th not too far away from me so went to look at it. At first glance it seemed like a score if I could grab it (asking only $6k); very clean inside, no rips in the leather, exterior paint nice, no peeling, no accident history, everything straight.

First hint of trouble was when I looked at the rear hatch, big orange tinted rust "bubble" under a bracket for the rear wind deflector. I didn't touch it as
it looked big enough to put three fingers through if disturbed. Then got down to check the undercarriage, holy moly, the worst I've ever seen. Frame was like pages of a book, steel flaking off in layers, fuel tank crusty, bolt heads disssolved from corrosion, every bracket and fastener rusted to hell. Popped the hood, engine bay components the same.

Imagine if someone had parked a vehicle in the ocean for a few years, that's what it looked like. I passed as did a few others. It did eventually sell, god help the person who bought it.

Last edited:
You're an idiot :flipoff2: Extensive rust subtracts much more than factory lockers add. Not talking price (although that is also true), just general worthiness of ownership.

Not to say there's no merit in a rusty cruiser for a winter beater or hunt/farm tractor, but definitely not worth flying and buying sight unseen. I lost my beloved red '84 jf60 to rust--it is a losing battle.
did you see the part where i canceled the ticket

There are lots of 80s for sale much closer to you in Texas that will be pristine underneath. Maybe not a lot at that price, but stay strong and research like a deranged madman and you might just find a good compromise.

looking at a 94 in salt lake city on fb market place. has tires and 3" ome lift, 1 rust spot on rear wheel arch in front of tire. hood has dent and front bumper is gone so definitely in a accident but frame looks straight and fenders aren't bent. any thoughts would be appreciated. 1994 Toyota Landcruiser

looking at a 94 in salt lake city on fb market place. has tires and 3" ome lift, 1 rust spot on rear wheel arch in front of tire. hood has dent and front bumper is gone so definitely in a accident but frame looks straight and fenders aren't bent. any thoughts would be appreciated. 1994 Toyota Landcruiser
1608259706198.png

I wouldn't buy anything with rust just like others are telling you. Body work is expensive and time consuming. i did't click on the link above but would guess that there is a bit of rust on the undercarriage if there is rust on the body. Better spend your time and money on a rust free vehicle than trying to save a few bucks on a less than desireable specimen.

37" tires with a 3" lift.... probably not regeared.
I dont get people. They buy a project vehicle and the first thing they have to do is a lift and tires when that should probably be the last thing done. I would not trust or buy a cruiser from somebody who thinks they can run 37's with a 3" lift and no re-gear. That s*** might fly in LA but not if your driving on any type of hill or doing any real offroading.

Did a little more digging. Come to find out the springs and tires come from his prior rig the was wrecked. He swapped them into this one to start over.

37" tires with a 3" lift.... probably not regeared.
I dont get people. They buy a project vehicle and the first thing they have to do is a lift and tires when that should probably be the last thing done. I would not trust or buy a cruiser from somebody who thinks they can run 37's with a 3" lift and no re-gear. That s*** might fly in LA but not if your driving on any type of hill or doing any real offroading.
Hell I've got 33s and have to get a running start for a steep hill! :rofl: I'm just amassing parts till I can do it all the right way. Still torn about either a V8 swap or rebuild.

I'm in the process of repairing the lower quarters which, aside from a spot in the passenger floorboard that had rusted, was the only bad rust on the truck. Well, it had the typical bubble under the seal on the lower right of the liftgate glass but @slow95z fixed me up there. Much easier to just replace a part then cut and weld new body panels. Moral of the story, if you've got the money, just be patient and keep looking. Rust is no fun and is a time suck when you could be spending the money on fun upgrades.

Last edited:
I'm still kicking myself for an '97 450 RUSTY+ 3x lower miles 100 miles away I passed on. PARTS! 2500. Engine sounded great dove good. I was PO after I got there the pics were way older than the present rust.

You need to get this> Do not buy a truck with rust, it’s not only about cosmetics. Clear?
Not trying to be an ass, but you need to understand that. If not, you will need to become an expert at removing busted bolts, drilling out old bolts and retapping stripped bolt holes, welding broken nuts, keeper nuts, rivnuts/nutserts, this is your future they way you are heading. Your reward will be investing in a vehicle nobody else will want.

You need to get this> Do not buy a truck with rust, it’s not only about cosmetics. Clear?
Not trying to be an ass, but you need to understand that. If not, you will need to become an expert at removing busted bolts, drilling out old bolts and retapping stripped bolt holes, welding broken nuts, keeper nuts, rivnuts/nutserts, this is your future they way you are heading. Your reward will be investing in a vehicle nobody else will want.
So I've worked on cars quite a bit and different cars are expected to have different levels of acceptable rust. Seems like for 80s it's zero. I get that. Thanks

Hell I've got 33s and have to get a running start for a steep hill! :rofl: I'm just amassing parts till I can do it all the right way. Still torn about either a V8 swap or rebuild.

V8 all the way

did you see the part where i canceled the ticket
Yes, I just saw that you asked if you were an idiot in the original post and I couldn't help myself. :hillbilly:

search Texas CL's - it's not often but every now and then a gem hits for low $.... I just missed a really clean looking locked 96 last month by an hour for 7k....I put a back up offer in, but it sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom