Help Desperately Needed Getting Cruiser Running! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2002 Landcruiser. A month ago, the starter went out so I changed it myself. Put everything back together and cannot get the LC to run. New starter sounds great and will start the Cruiser briefly, but the idle stumbles and sounds like it is suffocating and dies. I do notice a strong smell of gas fumes when I exit the car. If I step on the pedal when it starts it will kill it right away. I removed the throttle body and cleaned it. I removed and cleaned the Mass air flow sensor. Battery is new just last year. I have taken it apart to the starter at least 4 times making sure every bolt and hose was accounted for when putting it back together. I changed the intake manifold gaskets. I torqued the manifold and throttle body to specs. I checked the exhaust manifold for any cracks or leaks. I am very frustrated and would greatly appreciate any and all help getting it running again. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2002 Landcruiser. A month ago, the starter went out so I changed it myself. Put everything back together and cannot get the LC to run. New starter sounds great and will start the Cruiser briefly, but the idle stumbles and sounds like it is suffocating and dies. I do notice a strong smell of gas fumes when I exit the car. If I step on the pedal when it starts it will kill it right away. I removed the throttle body and cleaned it. I removed and cleaned the Mass air flow sensor. Battery is new just last year. I have taken it apart to the starter at least 4 times making sure every bolt and hose was accounted for when putting it back together. I changed the intake manifold gaskets. I torqued the manifold and throttle body to specs. I checked the exhaust manifold for any cracks or leaks. I am very frustrated and would greatly appreciate any and all help getting it running again. Thanks in advance.

Is it getting spark? There are a couple different EFI and ECU fuses. Maybe you blew one of those.

Jim

Is it getting spark? There are a couple different EFI and ECU fuses. Maybe you blew one of those.

Jim
Hey Jim, thanks. Which fuses should I check?

20201109_130220.jpg

I connected the OB2 reader and got a yellow light with no codes to read.

Screenshot_20201105-190814_Video Player.jpg

If you smell gas, my guess is a fuel line is not connected or sealed. Triple checked the fuel lines and all joints?
I triple checked the fuel line that connects by the fuel pressure valve. That is the only fuel hose I had to disconnect.

Check the routing of the vacuum lines that come off the charcoal canister. Possibly one of them is not connected right, you would have had to disconnect the lines going over the intake manifold to do the starter. That can give you a fuel smell and a huge vacuum leak that can keep the truck from running. Other less pleasant option is maybe you messed up an intake gasket.

Smell fuel where? At the tail pipe or engine bay? And if it stutters and then dies you've got all three, to some degree. I would triple check everything is plugged in, like the MAF sensor.

Thanks Shifthead...I went over step by step to triple check everything...hose, plug and bolt went where it is supposed to b...

If you smell gas, my guess is a fuel line is not connected or sealed. Triple checked the fuel lines and all joints?

The only fuel line I disconnected and reconnected was the one by the fuel pressure regulator...it is connected...

Id check for spark, then look at the throttle and vacuum hoses and main ground cables. One I believe is close to the starter.

Think about the big 4. Air, Fuel, Spark , Compression.

Should get an inline spark tester and check for spark. Can compression test if it gets to that point but probably not an issue. Can check air intake and vacuum lines for any issues. And maybe crack the line at the fuel filter to see if your pumping up to that point.

Check the routing of the vacuum lines that come off the charcoal canister. Possibly one of them is not connected right, you would have had to disconnect the lines going over the intake manifold to do the starter. That can give you a fuel smell and a huge vacuum leak that can keep the truck from running. Other less pleasant option is maybe you messed up an intake gasket.
Checked them all and they r good and tight...I replaced and put new pcv hoses on...

Id check for spark, then look at the throttle and vacuum hoses and main ground cables. One I believe is close to the starter.
Both ground r connected and in place. One by starter and one by firewall.

Is it safe to assume this engine ran well before this starter service?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom