Help! - Cylinder Misfire and Crankshaft Position Error Codes After Battery Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Battery died, so I replaced it with a Duralast Gold 27F. + and - connections are correctly attached.

After I changed out the battery, the LC intermittently but regularly shakes and lurches at low RPMs and in tight turns, and lights dim. Once I give it gas, its fine, but the rythmic shaking and lurching is very concerning. The LC has never stalled out. Does anyone have insight or have you experienced this too? Will I damage the vehicle if I drive it?

The codes I am getting using OBD Link are:
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0304 - " " 4 " "
P0306 - " " 6 " "
P0308 - " " 8 " "
P0018 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 2 Sensor A)
P0021 - Camshaft Position A - Timing Over Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2)
P0021 - Freeze Frame DTC

**One of the Cat Converters is not OEM and throws efficiency codes (shutting off the center diff lock button), but that has been an issue since I purchased the LC in summer 2022.

Thanks in advance for all and any help! I cant get into see my mechanic until the 29th.

I had this problem with an '03 Sequoia whose battery I replaced. It stalled a dozen times, ran very poorly, and took numerous short trips to finally normalize and run properly. You might try just driving it more and seeing how it goes. I had to feather the gas and brake at every stop to prevent it from stalling every time.

I agree with @SteveH. Take it on a good drive

It is strange how some vehicles react to being disconnected from the battery. I know in my case, mine may run rough for a minute, but it levels out fairly quick. My old 80 Series took a little longer to smooth out.

Battery died, so I replaced it with a Duralast Gold 27F. + and - connections are correctly attached.

After I changed out the battery, the LC intermittently but regularly shakes and lurches at low RPMs and in tight turns, and lights dim. Once I give it gas, its fine, but the rythmic shaking and lurching is very concerning. The LC has never stalled out. Does anyone have insight or have you experienced this too? Will I damage the vehicle if I drive it?

The codes I am getting using OBD Link are:
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0304 - " " 4 " "
P0306 - " " 6 " "
P0308 - " " 8 " "
P0018 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 2 Sensor A)
P0021 - Camshaft Position A - Timing Over Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2)
P0021 - Freeze Frame DTC

**One of the Cat Converters is not OEM and throws efficiency codes (shutting off the center diff lock button), but that has been an issue since I purchased the LC in summer 2022.

Thanks in advance for all and any help! I cant get into see my mechanic until the 29th.
  1. First, it's important to list info on make, model, year, mileage, stock or build. Easiest way, is add info to signature line.
  2. Also write out any current work and why, it was done.
  3. Something about your level of understanding, of the mechanicals of the 4.7L. I don't usually ask this of posters asking for help. But your dealing with a possible complex issues.
  4. Any service history you have on especially DTC (codes). Very often this can be found by VIN# at Toyota or Lexus even carfax can be reveling. With more history, it may shed some light on where to point you first.
You did however mentioned new battery, but not why you replaced? Make sure clamps are sung on battery post.
You also motioned in tight turns. This points to a short or loose part. In that, force of turn, is moving something.

I'll assume you've a 2006-07, which is the VVT engine. I assume this since you've a BK2 cam sensor DTC. 06 was first year to have a BK 2 cam sensor. IIRC the P0018 does not come up, in the non VVT.

Form the FSM:
DTC P0018
DTC Detection condition: Deviation in crankshaft position sensor signal and VVT sensor 2 signal (2 trip detection logic)
Trouble Area: Mechanical system (jumped tooth of timing belt, belt stretched). ECM

Few things to look at first:
  1. Crankshaft sensor & oil sending unit wire, routing. If routed wrong you'll see in run down in front fan bracket of BK1. This can rub on belt and pulleys, resulting in a short.
  2. Look at Bk2 Cam sensor and VVT control valve and their wires. Make sure they're properly attached to head and wires look good.
  3. Check oil and make sure last oil change was in 5W-30 best. You can vary a bit on weight. You may have issue with VVT controller valve or actuator, due to oil pressure.
  4. Look at timing belt tension, make sure bolts in taught.

Going much further than this, when you 're taking to mechanic anyway. May be to technical and or waste of time. IDK, you tell use.

Crank wire routed wrong.JPEG

Engine wire harness main (1)a.JPG

T-belt Tensioner red
tensioner.JPEG

BK2 Cam sensor VVT red, VVT control valve yellow.
VVY cam sensor VVT.JPG

Basically if this not a bad sensor, issue with ECM, short, oil issue or loose part. You may have jump a tooth on timing belt or VVT actuator issue BK 2 But not to likely. Since if that the case, turns would have little effect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom