Strange cylinder misfire problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all!

2005 that I have owned for the last 15 years. Currently sitting at 250k and I have started to get cylinder misfire codes being thrown. Started with and is primarily a cylinder 1 misfire but now includes other cylinders as well.

-Generally only happens on a cold engine
-Did change Cylinder 1 coil pack
-Roughish idle especially when cold
-no other symptoms
-sometimes CEL will illuminate after being reset and then the light will go off on its own?!?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Start with basics. How is the fuel filter? If not replaced in last 100K miles, replace it with an OEM unit.
Cold start is open loop and computer set it to run rich. Lack of fuel due to a clogged filter can cause vibrations/roughness.
What is the condition of the spark plugs? Genuine Denso or NGK? Buy from reputed sellers to avoid counterfeit items.
Did you clean the Mass Air Flow sensor? It might need some cleaning. Use an OEM air filter.

One cylinder misfire is most commonly associated with spark.
  • When were last set of spark plugs replaced, with which and from whom did you purchase?
  • Same question on coil or coils?

I did change the cylinder 1 coil pack and plug for that cylinder. I haven't changed the fuel filter yet but will give that a try next.

What's frustrating is that I am getting other cylinder misfire codes at times as well now and also that the CEL will come on but shut itself off which seems strange.

I did change the cylinder 1 coil pack and plug for that cylinder. I haven't changed the fuel filter yet but will give that a try next.

What's frustrating is that I am getting other cylinder misfire codes at times as well now and also that the CEL will come on but shut itself off which seems strange.
Have you pulled and inspected all of your plugs and coil packs? Are they original or are re-placements, OEM/Denso or non-OEM or some combination?

After 350k miles. I am having the same issue. Obd2 showed a cylinder 6 misfire. Changed plugs, still rough when cold.
when I drove it, it seemed to run ok if I drove real chill, but started misfire if I stepped on the gas.
so I’m hoping to get some answers too.

I'm going to start with the simple repairs but with it living it's life in Maine it's reaching the end of its usable life. I think I'll look at the fuel system stuff first.

Check fuel filter, coils, and plugs. I spent a few weeks and a lot of headache chasing an identical issue/code at about 225k before taking it to the shop. It ended up being a bad injector.

Any luck on this? I am getting P0304 (cylinder 4 misfire) after replacing my spark plugs. I replaced the coil with a Denso and still having the misfire. Trying to diagnose/repair myself before taking it to the dealer.

Any luck on this? I am getting P0304 (cylinder 4 misfire) after replacing my spark plugs. I replaced the coil with a Denso and still having the misfire. Trying to diagnose/repair myself before taking it to the dealer.
Did you try moving coils around to different cylinders?

Did you try moving coils around to different cylinders?
Yes, I moved my new coil to a different cylinder and still got the cylinder 4 misfire. After doing some more research, I wonder if its a bad fuel injector since the code is specific to one cylinder?

Yes, I moved my new coil to a different cylinder and still got the cylinder 4 misfire. After doing some more research, I wonder if its a bad fuel injector since the code is specific to one cylinder?
Yes, a bad fuel injector could be the issue. Certainly worth a closer inspection.

I know there is a thread (or more) where someone else had this issue with the injector causing the misfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom