Hello ALL, Wish me luck 1994 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, new to this forum and new to land cruiser ownership. OK I already took the leap on a FZJ80 1994 with k294 on the door tag. I haven't taken possession of it yet as I brought it over the internet at an auction (copart, thoughts and comments on copart are totally unrelated to truck but I've been buying from them for years ) I won it for 1000, but fees and shipping have me in it for 2000 total (still not bad but hold on). It stated "runs and drives " but good luck on it actually being fully running and driving if you know copart, but like I said I've had really good luck with them. I honestly didn't realize it, but it has a salvage title as I only bid on clean title cars, but somehow I bid and ended up winning this particular truck. So running the VIN the car has had about 5 or 6 owners and did most of it's miles early on (has 246 on the clock) . It's an Ohio truck so I'm expecting rust but hoping for minimal (one picture shows rust but hey also shows signs of primer so I'm hoping for a few good owners in it's past) . And funny thing is that the car gained it's salvaged status on Jan 31 of this year. My guess is that it was donated to copart and they can't sell used cars to unlicensed buysers (as I'm not a dealer ) so it gets salvaged and then the public can buy (looked up some legislation that was recently passed in Ohio for this exact purpose, as the car has no physical damage). It's missing the end caps of the front and rear bumpers and looks like the rugs are removed. It has a snorkel. The only visible rust is on the lower rear, right behind the tire. Slavage doesn't bother me cause I've always wanted one and at this price point I'm good, and resale won't be as much but again it's just like passing on the savings . I should take dilvery buy this weekend or Monday the latest. Can't wait to see what headache I got myself into. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, anyone out there recognize it let me know, any keen observers see something I didn't mention again please feel free to let me know

7c607f78-9450-4758-9a9e-6061c0554efc.JPG

316c86ab-bd0b-4b67-abf5-c345fd16327e.JPG

3521a4a6-3f35-443a-a057-512812aafdcd.JPG

e84ac93e-27bb-4209-b0b2-06eb7aef87cd.JPG

936e1a3e-9626-4c06-a9a8-cad94a86b11a.JPG

Damn. Good luck, applaud anyone trying to resurrect an 80 but that is a lot more than I'd personally be willing to undertake. Might be a decent trail truck if that's your goal, but IMO that is too far gone to justify putting the big $$ it needs into it. Assuming it actually does show up locked though you are in good shape for $2k. If the axles aren't starting to disintegrate you've got at least $2k right there should you decide to part out.

Don’t look that bad. The rust in the rear looks like the worst thing. Most people add after market bumpers, the carpet in these old truck is usually stinky and needs replaced anyway.
It also appears to have some sort of poverty pack. No wheel flares or holes, the glass look clear no running boards & cloth seats.
Plus a 94, I prefer the 93 /94 years.
If your looking to build nice trail reg I think your off to a good start.
PS don’t let the miles Or the purists scare you

Damn. Good luck, applaud anyone trying to resurrect an 80 but that is a lot more than I'd personally be willing to undertake. Might be a decent trail truck if that's your goal, but IMO that is too far gone to justify putting the big $$ it needs into it. Assuming it actually does show up locked though you are in good shape for $2k. If the axles aren't starting to disintegrate you've got at least $2k right there should you decide to part out.
I either do most of my work, or my really good friend has a transmission shop and let's me do work there on off hours or if it's a big job will put an employee on it for me and hardly charges labor, so I'll save there. It will be street legal if it runs decent enough as a salvage inspection will be smooth as there are no damages to fix (the PITA is it may take a month or 2 to get an inspection) But if it does s*** the bed and I get it up on the lift, first thing I'll check for are those axles. Thanks

So I live in the city (NY) and intend it to be a DD and my commute is literally 3 Miles round trip, and most days I carpool with my wife in her car. I want a sound motor and trans, and no rust on the frame (or very minimal). Lockers are more for the mentality of buying the worst house in the best neighborhood, but would love for them to be functioning. I do own a place about 60 miles out of NYC, in PA near the Delaware river, and to get to it you need a capable truck on bad day during the winter, and after heavy rains, but my Burban does it no problem and so has my Camry. I have a beat up 03 yukon XL that I'll be looking to sell and get literally anything as long as it's north of 800 bucks LOL, so I can put into this project as long as my 3 things check out. I'm hoping they do as I'm looking to make this a marriage for a long time

Welcome! :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

And......Well, GOOD LUCK! ;)

How strict is NY state concerning rust? That giant hole isn't supposed to be there in the last pic...
...although a piece of sheet metal or discarded road sign i'm sure could rivet in there nicely.

How strict is NY state concerning rust? That giant hole isn't supposed to be there in the last pic...
...although a piece of sheet metal or discarded road sign i'm sure could rivet in there nicely.
Yea, I said ouch out loud when I saw that. What's looked for mainly in these type of inspections, from my knowledge, is that if there were any repairs done to the vehicle that no stolen parts were used.

Looks like they have done a full or partial EGR/PAIR delete.

I think the term GOOD LUCK! is now a term of "Rotsa Ruck!

OMG. That one pretty much needs a bullet. I have not seen one where the inner fenders were rusted away!

Get great pics and you may win the award for "Rustiest 80"....but you have to beat @bhicks ......... and maybe @Red Merle (before he fixed it all)

I'm thinking the salvage title might be due to not being able to pass an inspection. That is a pretty rough looking vehicle.

Honestly I think you have too much into it and you probably are going to have more into it than you want in the end (but we all end up down that road)

If it had a non salvage title, you would be in the ballpark. If you are just going to use it to drive/build, who cares as long as you can get it inspected/registered.

Inspected/registered - (this is where I think you are going to have problems - You'll probably need the Ebrake working (Im going to bet this doesn't work), and anything that came from the factory should be there (the emissions removal will be a problem)- No CEL light (im betting its on due to the emissions stuff removed) -I'd be shocked if there isn't any codes). Exhaust might be a problem Y pipe probably has a hole in it)

To me the lockers are a huge plus vs non locked and you have the full float rear disk brake rear axle vs non and drum brakes.

I don't think the body is that bad rust wise. Hatch, doors, Front of hood all look pretty solid. - Rear quarters are a semi easy fix if you cut them off flush and weld a flat piece in and I wouldn't even worry about the inner fenders.

I'm guessing someone swapped the seats at one point. I would think it should have leather based on the door panel. Carpet already gone, someone did you a favor.

I'd get it running - inspected/registered (i could be wrong, but I think this is going to be your biggest hurtle).

Then pull the front and rear bumpers and make/buy tube bumpers and sliders. Slight suspension lift (3") with 33" tires and I'd run it as is.

Worst case you'll be parting it out to make your money back.

I'm thinking the salvage title might be due to not being able to pass an inspection. That is a pretty rough looking vehicle.
Do you know if that's a thing? To salvage a car do to not being able to pass a road inspection? Don't doubt it, but never herd of it.

Honestly I think you have too much into it and you probably are going to have more into it than you want in the end (but we all end up down that road)

If it had a non salvage title, you would be in the ballpark. If you are just going to use it to drive/build, who cares as long as you can get it inspected/registered.

Inspected/registered - (this is where I think you are going to have problems - You'll probably need the Ebrake working (Im going to bet this doesn't work), and anything that came from the factory should be there (the emissions removal will be a problem)- No CEL light (im betting its on due to the emissions stuff removed) -I'd be shocked if there isn't any codes). Exhaust might be a problem Y pipe probably has a hole in it)

To me the lockers are a huge plus vs non locked and you have the full float rear disk brake rear axle vs non and drum brakes.

I don't think the body is that bad rust wise. Hatch, doors, Front of hood all look pretty solid. - Rear quarters are a semi easy fix if you cut them off flush and weld a flat piece in and I wouldn't even worry about the inner fenders.

I'm guessing someone swapped the seats at one point. I would think it should have leather based on the door panel. Carpet already gone, someone did you a favor.

I'd get it running - inspected/registered (i could be wrong, but I think this is going to be your biggest hurtle).

Then pull the front and rear bumpers and make/buy tube bumpers and sliders. Slight suspension lift (3") with 33" tires and I'd run it as is.

Worst case you'll be parting it out to make your money back.
100 percent spot on. From my knowledge, and I've done a few, the salvage inspection is done by the NYPD and they only look for stolen parts or parts not purchased through legal channels. They then issue you a rebuilt title. Then it's up to you, to register insure and inspect it for road use. A vehicle of this age is exempt from check engine lights smog and all the other hoopla, it's just seat belts lights and brakes basically a "safety inspection" but there isn't real emfassis on safety, though I wouldn't want to ride in a death box. And then yes, any stumbles along the way and all that gets scrapped and part it out it is., let's hope it doesn't get to that. Thanks again for all the info guys

I think if you keep your expectations low here you could have a fun project.

I would be thinking something like UTE or roll cage full crawler. Until that day, just get it running and drive the piss out of it.

I'm willing to bet she's still got some life left in her.

I dont know how to register a salvage title in NY but in Va, it's a hassle..not impossible, but there are a lot of hoops.

Do you know if that's a thing? To salvage a car do to not being able to pass a road inspection? Don't doubt it, but never herd of it.
Not sure if it's a thing, but all 50 states have different rules on motor vehicle stuff.
I was just wondering if this could be the case, based on the fact you mentioned that it just gained it's salvage status recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom