Hello ALL, Wish me luck 1994 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure if it's a thing, but all 50 states have different rules on motor vehicle stuff.
I was just wondering if this could be the case, based on the fact you mentioned that it just gained it's salvage status recently.

Screenshot_20190301-163905.png

Depending on the title, if someone accidentally checked the salvage box on the title, when it transferred, it would then be marked in the system as salvage.

I've never heard of something being salvaged due to not passing emissions or road inspection. Communist state maybe, but Ohio I would doubt (I could be wrong).

I'm going to guess that this rig had different tires & rims/interior and who knows what. Something happened via insurance (hence why its on copart), and PO/owner/shop it was at stripped it (Different Non stock LC rims, no leather seats) and turned it in with the odd ball stuff on it (most people don't put a snorkel on a stock rig). Hopefully it actually has diff lock axles and those where not swapped.

Either way you have to deal with it now, no way of "going back" - if the NYPD inspecition is how you say it is, it should not be too bad. Almost every body panel comes with the factory with the vin on a sticker, so proving the parts are not stolen should be pretty easy, provided all the stickers are still in place.

I think the term GOOD LUCK! is now a term of "Rotsa Ruck!

OMG. That one pretty much needs a bullet. I have not seen one where the inner fenders were rusted away!

Get great pics and you may win the award for "Rustiest 80"....but you have to beat @bhicks ......... and maybe @Red Merle (before he fixed it all)
I had no where close to that type of cancer on the body. Mine was all underneath because it had been stored for 15 years but well cared for to a certain extent, if that makes sense.

That said, I would cut off the bad stuff now and treat the edges of the panels with POR15 and let it cure and then pump liquid foam into the holes and then shape that and wrap it in fiberglass and Bondo until you can figure out a plan.

Honestly, that thing is probably at least $15K from being in as good of body shape as mine was the day I bought it.

20160828_161536.jpg

20160828_161644.jpg

20160819_174740.jpg

20160828_161546.jpg

20160705_173648.jpg

To me it looks like someone's truck was falling apart, they bought another one, and swapped the goodies to the new replacement and ditched this one. It's got 4runner wheels, 91-92 seats, and the snorkel on an otherwise stock truck kinda solidifies my opinion.

Hopefully the lockers are still there.

Rust on the interior tranny hump. All seats replaced with older style. Top dash pad replaced. I’m think water damage at some point.

Holy s***! Ok. So there's bad news then there's more bad news. Let me start, it was on the transporter and so I got underneath and took these pictures. I want to name him Rusty, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Both front tires are flat and the battery is completely dead. (as a side bar I don't have a place to keep it so I have it in a garage in my mother in laws house)
Litterly drove it off the trailer and into the garage. This truck was definitely a yard dog, and hasn't seen love in probably 3 or 4 years. I didnt want to run it too long without checking fuilds anyway. Interior is dirty (mud everywhere) as s*** but mostly solid except for driver side foot well don't really know what's underneath because a plate was rivited into the floor. Then I removed the oil cap and yup, it's cloudy. It's got some black but some white as well, not much but it's there. That hit me in the gut. Has an exshast leak like a MOFO, so I didn't wana run it too long for that reason as well, as it is loud as hell. I'm still going to move forward as much as I can and see where I end up. But I'll move slowly. Got a cheap battery and compressor. I'm gona fill up the tires and make sure it starts right up everytime. Hopefully take it to my buddies shop this week or next and really get in there and change out all the fluids and see where I'm at at that point.
The title has a section that says comments and underneath that it says "unclamiled", so that leads me to belive it was abandoned or maybe donated without a title. Might have been sitting in a field or yard and someone wanted it gone.
Again anyone see anything please let me know, I always look at the bright side so stuff like this doesn't deter me from going forward. The Diff may or may not work. With both front tires flat I didn't want to push it too much. They both flashed and never engaged, I gave it a quick shot, but I'm a novice at this so not even sure if I did it right. I'll leave you guys with a few pics

IMG_20190302_152251.jpg

IMG_20190302_152316.jpg

IMG_20190302_152318.jpg

IMG_20190302_152627.jpg

IMG_20190302_152635.jpg

Wow. Rusty... Missing the cats too I see..

Man I'm sorry. I don't think you can even part that thing out.

I thought about copart before... You just cured me of that.

Don't worry about what you see under the oil cap. That is a COMPLETE myth.

Check the oil on the dipstick and look at the coolant.

That is one seriously rotted truck. I'm sorry.

Don't worry about what you see under the oil cap. That is a COMPLETE myth.

That reminds me of an old solution to an apparently un-salvageable vehicle.

Take the oil cap off and drive a new one under it :rimshot:

This may not be a complete loss for the new owner. If the new owner has the time, and space to deal with it he could always part the truck out. He'll need to be honest with any buyers, he'll need to tell them the parts their about to buy could have "some rust" issues.

Doesn’t look too bad. There’s a little surface rust on the frame that can be treated. If the engine is bad, however......

Is the diff lock switch on the dash?

Last edited:
HAHAH, Actually it's been sitting in my mother in laws garage and I haven't had time to road test it because it has a break line leak (with that much rust I'm suprissed it's only 1). I haven't sent away for the inspection to get a title yet because I don't wana do it just yet as I don't know if I'm going down that road. I thought I had a lead on a clean titled 94 (that needed a ton of work) in upstate ny but it didn't pan out. Also I might have something brewing at the end of this week, so basically I've been idle. Fluids are all fine (I haven't changed any) and I've had the truck running at idle for about 1/2 and hr and no temp rises. My next move is to remove the break line and take it to my friends shop so he can fabricate one for me and then replace it and fill/bleed the brakes in order to then be able to drive it to his shop (he has a dealers plate) and get it on a lift and have him go through it for me. Then see were I'm at from there. I'm aming for that to happen sometime next week. Thanks for asking guys.

Some interior pics, they definitely used this s*** in the dirt and mud

IMG_20190303_093506.jpg

IMG_20190303_093542.jpg

IMG_20190303_093604.jpg

IMG_20190303_093520.jpg

DId they tell you to keep the change or is it welded in with old coffee?:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom