Headlight wire harness FJ60 and FJ62 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, I got my ultimate Harness installed and it is awesome. In fact, Erik delivered it in person to me enroute to a family trip, something I would never expect.

I installed it with the adapters provided on my stock sealed beams (Temporarily) and it made a huge difference even on those.

I did have a question though for Erik or anyone else with the harness.

The H1 uses a single tab while the H4 uses 3 tabs. The connectors for the high beams will accept a 3 tab setup. What am I missing here?

NEVERMIND, answered my own question.

You probably figured out that the horizontal connector is not connected to anything for the high beam only headlight. I couldn't find a good source for the H1 headlights, so I just use the same connector as the H4 headlight and leave the extra pin not connected. Sorry for the confusion.

None of the current harnesses can be adapted. The FJ40's use switched 12 volts for the headlights, unlike the 60 series which uses switched ground. I have designed an FJ40 harness with the intention that when things slow down a little with the 60 series harnesses I will also build FJ40 harnesses. Well, things haven't slowed down yet with the 60 series, so I keep postponing building the FJ40 prototype. I don't have a time frame for anything yet. I don't have enough bandwidth right now to also start building FJ40 harnesses. So maybe in the future a little ways.

OK, thanks for letting me know. Not in a desperate hurry but I would like to upgrade my headlights some day.

I have not gauged the interest for an 80 harness. I have had quite a number of 80s guys buy my Aux harness, but you are the first to request a headlight harness. Do you think there is a demand?

I know alot of guys who go with the Slee headlight harness but I am looking at other options as well you can always put a post up in the 80's section to gauge interest I am sure there will be nay sayers but I am interested and I am sure there will be others.

Quick update for everyone, installed the harness 2 weeks ago and it greatly improved my sealed beams.

Yesterday, I got home and was excited to see that my new to me Cibie's had arrived.

For being advertised as 20 years old, the quality was awesome and he forgot to mention that he was including bulbs.

Went out (almost in my underwear but my wife made me put pants on) and installed them and expected an ok improvement.

The difference in lo mode is excellent, the lights spreads wide but does not blind oncoming traffic and the beam makes a very sharp upword slope to the right.

Hi beam is awe inspriing, even in my light polluted naighborhood you could see the incredible affect it had on visibility. I really don't think I even need aftermarket driving lights anymore.

Next up on my list is the purchase of a dual battery kit and then an M8000 Warn along with heavy leafs to upgrade my OME.

Thanks again Erik, you are one of the few people in business that does what he says he is going to do.

Now, just make an ultimate 40 series harness already.

Now, just make an ultimate 40 series harness already.

x2. Just posted an inquiry in your poll thread in 40 tech. Am eager to upgrade my 40 headlights as well.

i need this

Do you have this stock on hand or do i have to place an order,this is a gotta have soon let me know so i can break open my kids piggy bank :lol:, it's my money anyway.thanks.

John:doh:

I have the parts on hand. I don't build them in advance because there are a couple of options that you can choose. Usually takes me a day or two to build it and two or three days enroute. You should have it in your possession within a week from when you order it.

A quick post from another happy customer--I received the harness within 2 days of placing my order. The components are first-rate, and the install went very smoothly thanks to the excellent instructions provided. Thanks Erik!

Question for the group on halogen bulbs: I want maximum wattage but don't want to overmatch the stock 80amp alternator on my FJ62. The harness will handle 120w bulbs, but not sure about the alternator--could it reasonably drive 400w of headlights? I'm consider 100w H1s and 80/100 H4s.

I apologize for being ignorant when it comes to electrical stuff, but I have an FJ62 and plan on converting to an FJ60 grill and headlamp setup. Which wiring harness should I be looking at buying; an FJ62 or FJ60? I also plan to run two aux driving lights on an ARB in the future, so is there any custom option that you offer that I should definitely have?

Thanks in advance. In the meantime, I am going to try and find some info to absorb on the fj62 to fj60 grill and headlamp swap.

No apology needed. The headlight circuits in our Landcruisers are tricky to say the least. I have built a couple of harnesses for FJ62s that have been converted to FJ60 headlights. If you order the Ultimate Harness, you will also have two Aux relays. You can use one of them for your driving lights. In fact, I can wire the harness to turn on the driving lights when you switch on your High Beam headlights if you wish. Lot's of options can be built into the harness to make it easy for you. Based on your location, it looks like you are going to be needing good headlights soon.

There are a couple of good threads on doing the swap.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/74119-fj60-grill-fj62.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/97155-60-front-62-a.html

Thanks for the info. I'll probably have more questions when the times comes closer to getting the swap project done.

bump

Bump to the top for a great product.i will be ordering soon maybe right after christmas since i will have some extra cash then. i have replaced my headlamps with IPF and high out put bulbs.right now is better compared to the old sealed beams i know it will get better once i get your harness.

Some questions about the FJ62 harness.

I just got a 1990 FJ62 (super clean, 119K!) and it had been in a front end collision. The driver's lights work as expected, but on the passenger, only the outside low beam works and it's really dim. Lights on the passenger side work fine when I move them to the driver's side harness.

Does your harness plug into the factory headlight harness on the driver's side? If so, and my low and high work properly on the left, do you expect the new harness to work properly?

I suspect there was some damage to the harness on the passenger's side and I don't really feel like tracking it down if your harness will work.

Previous owner wired up a bunch of extra lights and it looks pretty janky so I'd probably get an Aux as well.

Thanks

119 K--how would that be! Congratulations on a great find.

Yes, my harness plugs into the vehicle wiring on the drivers side for the FJ62 (US spec), so you will probably not need to address any headlight issues on the passenger side. Your new harness will take care of that as long as things work on the drivers side. In fact, you could remove the fuse for the passenger side just to be safe.

The FJ62 Ultimate harness comes with one Aux Relay. So if you just have one set of extra lights, then you may not need anything more. If you have multiple sets of lights, then you may wish to get one of my Aux Relay panels as well.

The picture on the left, is that mounted where the cruise control was located?

Here are a bunch of pics of the Ultimate Harness installed in my FJ62. These pictures are of the prototype harness. The first two pics show a couple of different mounting options. The preferred mounting position would be like the first pic, but since the Bussman relay block is weather tight, it could also be mounted sideways. I build the harness a little long so you have some leeway where you mount it. The FJ60 model by default will mount on the opposite side, but it can also mount on this side should you desire. Pic three shows one way of routing the wires to the drivers side headlights.

Yes. The picture where the module is mounted on top of the wheel well with one mounting bracket mounted to the VSV array mount is where the old, useless cruise control module used to be.

What gauge of wiring are you using to power the headlights with your harnesses? I remember you said once before, but I can't find where you said it. How about for the main feed off the battery? I definitely plan to get an Ultimate harness from you when my budget allows and I want to integrate control for driving lights and fog lights into the harness (and use my own terminals on the headlights; the ones I linked earlier in the thread). Also, more cor curiosity than anything, why use a fusible link on the 62 harness and a fused lead on the 60 harness? I would think you'd rather use a fused lead than a fusible link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom