60 front on a 62 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
60 front on My 62 that is!

My 62 now has a 60 front, here's a pic of the process part way through.

Yes, I recommend anyone doing it do it at a body shop, it's not as straightforward as it may seem.
upload.jpg

why Isnt it? I will be doing the swap soon on one of my rigs...

There's a number of small things, the most significant being the headlight surround mountings are not the same on the 60 & 62. I had to modify the mounts to the fender significantly. It would be easier to use 60 fenders despite what others have said.

It's also been said that you can weld the headlight buckets to the 60 radiator support. Nope, can't do that either, significant differences in the shape of that section of the support. Much easier to swap the entire 60 radiator support including the hood latch support which I didn't have.

The wiring surprisingly is the easiest part and I had a full body shop, tools and experts to help me along. Still spent 8 hours with 2 people doing it. Of course we spent time painting and working on the A/C too.

If you do the full swap the condensor has to be pulled so you need to vacate and refill the A/C system. I have a leak so hopefully will replace that tomorrow and have working cold air before the 100 degree temps hit in a couple days.

Overall, my suggestion is to expect the unexpected and be ready to improvise.

The best thing is that it's so worth it! :cool:

Mine's an '88 if that makes a difference.
:cheers:

Hey Steve, Loundeyes it is. :cool:

The only thing I want now is the aussie sliders. I should be paying you a visit next month with a a pair :D

Reading your sig line I have to ask, "Why?" For appearances?

overhanger said:
Reading your sig line I have to ask, "Why?" For appearances?

Yeah Steve, strictly cosmetics. :D

The only thing about a 62 I don't care for are those rectangular lights.

My sig line can always be used against me :cool:

pretender!

red cruiser said:
You bet, easier than putting the 3FE an A440F in a 60 :flipoff2:

For me putting the 62 front end on my 60 was about 30 minutes work. I guess it must be harder putting the 60 stuff on the 62? For me since I wanted the H55 with my 3FE it was way easier putting my newly rebuilt 3FE in the FJ-60 replacing the 240,000 mile 2F, than adapting the 62' for the H55 or rebuilding the 2F.

I put in the 62 front clip because everything bolted and plugged right in (except for the two mouting points for the headlight trim but that is easily remedied and the other two mounting points hold the trim in place fine right now but I will be adding the two mounting points later ) and my 60's original front clip was not in good shape. If you look at some early FJ-62s the mounting points for the headlight trim was glued on. Also I am partial to the newer styled 62' clip. And almost everything bolted right up including the emissions stuff and intake; the exhaust bolts up but a little bracket fabbing will be needed to attach the exhaust completely in all the OEM positions. My FJ-60 is an 87' though so I am not sure the older FJ-60s have all these provisions. I can't wait to get rid of the OEM side mirrors, they are useless.

2badfjs said:
looks good chris!

Just needs a soon to be released 2badjfs bumper :D

2badfjs said:
what body shop did you do it at?

Perry & Terry Auto Body on Teller in Lakewood, my son-in-laws brothers business. :cool:

Fized my A/C too :bounce:

Aseif007 said:
For me putting the 62 front end on my 60 was about 30 minutes work.

I'm jealous Andrew! 30 minutes sounds a whole lot better but it's done and I'm happy.

Nice to know that some people like the 62 front enough to put in on a 60. We'll both confuse people now :cool:

Yes we will confuse people:D . It took me that time because it was the 10th time I have taken one apart and put it back together. :frown:

red cruiser said:
I'm jealous Andrew! 30 minutes sounds a whole lot better but it's done and I'm happy.

Nice to know that some people like the 62 front enough to put in on a 60. We'll both confuse people now :cool:

How difficult is it to remove the Toyota name plate?

Aseif007 said:
Yes we will confuse people:D . It took me that time because it was the 10th time I have taken one apart and put it back together. :frown:

:eek: 10 times! :eek:

I'm sure I could do it much faster the 10th time but hope I don't have to do it again!

How about a pic or two...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom