New Project: 1997 Lexus LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Two costly mistakes: I should have never wandered from the 60 Series Forum into the 80, and I made a mistake telling my daugther, 3 years ago when I purchased my FJ62 that she could have it when she is old enough to drive. Not thinking at the time that she would hold me to my word. However, she still thinks it is one of the coolest truck she had ever seen.

I have been trying to convice her that she, (me) will not be able to afford the gas. Tried giving her the 04 Tacoma, or buying her a jeep or anything. Not happening, she wants the FJ62 and I am a man of my word.

As a result, I have been looking to replace it with an FJ60 not having much luck. I have also been looking to get the wife an FJ80, again not much luck, driving all over California looking at over priced FJ 80s and LX450s.

Last night, my buddy and I made a road trip up to Medesto CA to look at a 1997 Lexus LX450. Pictures posted on Craigslist looked good, low mileage (129,xxx), second owner who had owned it for a year, but just purchased a new mini-van and didnt need 3 cars. Sounded promising, but most do when talking to the seller. I was not real excited to make the trip, 7 hour round trip in pouring rain.

Arrived at the seller's house at about 8:00 pm, dark and pouring rain, not the best time to be inspecting a vehicle, but at least I had a good flashlight, and it's only water. Straight and super clean body (no dents, rust or missing molding, interior in great shape for a 15 year old, leather seats in good shape, clean engine, clean oil, tires in good shape, all the windows worked, and it started right up and sounded good.

Test drive, drove great, no shimming, brakes felt good, tranny shifted smoothly, and engine ran strong, plus wipers worked.

Decision time, no factory lockers! Bummer... The only issue I could find was the driver side sun visor does not stay in the upright position, and the exhaust tail pipe looks funky. But based on the overall conditin of the truck, great for a 15 year old vehicle, it was too nice to pass on.
Trip home, awesome! Not bagging on my FJ62, but the LX is sick...
Seeing it for the first time in day light, looks like the stock rims had been polished or maybe they came that way, but they look cool. Tail pipe looks just as stupid in the daylight, paint looks great, interior looks great (front seat the leather is stiff and the passenger seat is tearing along a seam) only found one ding in the body (dent by rear wiper) and power antenna does not work. Not bad...
Most important, the wife gave the thumbs up approval this morning, so life is good.

To Do List:
[STRIKE]Need to get a FSM [/STRIKE]Done 12/4/12
[STRIKE]Change fluids [/STRIKE]Done 12/4/12
Grease and lube
[STRIKE]Inspect brakes [/STRIKE] Done 12/4/12
Seat covers or re-uphoster front passenger seats
Repair or replace drive side sun visor
[STRIKE]Repair or replace power antenna [/STRIKE]Done 12/15/25
[STRIKE]Re-reroute tailpipe [/STRIKE]Done 12/12/12
Passenger window molding
Front Axle/Birf Rebuild
PHH

Mods:
[STRIKE]Tires 285/75/16 Done 12/4/12[/STRIKE]
OME lift Med 851s &860s Done 12/27/12
[STRIKE]ARB Front Bummer Done 1/3/13[/STRIKE]
Hanna Sliders
Houston Rear Bummer
Redneck Skid Plate
CDL 7 Pin
Lockers
Re-Gear
Marlin TC Gears
Extended Brake Line
Reroute Diff Breather Hose
CB
Huskey Floor Mats

Compared to my to do list on my FJ62, which I am still working on, this is minimal. But I am sure this is going to another opportunity for me to spend money...
Thumbs up.jpg
Engine.jpg
FJ's.jpg

Last edited:
The LX specific FSMs are rare. I searched for months to inevitably settle with the previous model year.

Check out Shane's (MetricTLCs) seat covers. I have the brown, and complimented more on the seats than any other aspect of the build.

Say goodbye to expendable cash.

Nice buy. I just purchased an LX450 and love it. O and I was born in Modesto and my whole family still lives there. We will be there this Christmas at our cabin in Twain Heart.

New Tires today, BF Goodrich All Trerrain 285/75/16. Based on everything I have read here on Mud, a 285 should fit in the spare compartment under the truck, I have a tow package (reciever hitch) that is restricting clearence. The existing spare, a 275 has about a 1/4 clearence. I guess I need a get a new rear bumper with a spare tire mount. (bummer... not)

Also had the brakes inspected and the transmission flushed, oil changed, lubed and radiator flushed. I was hoping to get the OME lift ordered today, but finding a dealer here in town is a pain. If I can't give my money to a local business, I will get it online.
on the rack.jpg
new tire.jpg

Check out Shane's (MetricTLCs) seat covers. I have the brown, and complimented more on the seats than any other aspect of the build.

That's because nobody can see the Marlin TC gears. :D

What size lift are you going with?

A 2.5" kit would look killer with those 285's

What size lift are you going with?

A 2.5" kit would look killer with those 285's

I ordered the following OME 2.5" lift kit:

2 x OME 851 Front Coil Springs
2 x OME 860 Rear Coil Springs
2 x 60018 Nitrocharger Sport Shocks
2 x 60020 Nitrocharger Sport Shocks
1 x SD24 Steering Damper
1 x CA77B Caster Kit
1 x Caster Bushing Press Piece

Should be here any day... and I hope to have it installed this weekend.

Got the call yesterday that my lift kit was in except the caster kit which was being drop shipped and everything would be here today.

Stopped by Habor frieght to pick up a few items needed for the install. Then off to the shop to pick up the lift kit only to find out the caster kit will not be here until Tue. next week. Bummer, but I got a couple of other items I can work on.
jack stands.jpg
OME pick up.jpg

Today's project: repaire broken power antenna. Replacement OEM antenna mast and used the following instructions found in the FAQ's section: http://www.spokanister.net/vehicles_antenna.htm

Lock nut was not too bad, did the antenna on my 62. Found a mini pipe wrench that work perfect.

Moving everything out of the way is the only way to do the job.
new antenna.jpg
Antenna lock nut.jpg
Stuff in the way of antenna.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom