1989 FJ62 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new FJ 62. Purchased last month for a old guy who had it parked in his garage. California truck, no rust, and the body is straight. Truck has 270,600 miles on the clock. Took it to the only Land Cruiser shop I could find for a complete inspection. Report summary, no rust and straight body, everything else is worn-out! Actually motor and transmission were rebuilt about 50,000 miles ago and the compression is good and transmission is pulling strong.

I knew this was going to be a project when I decided to purchase it. I always wanted an FJ40, but I'm old and have a family and a FJ62 was an easier sell to the wife.

Picked up my FJ62 today from the shop. The truck had a ton of Mickey mouse repairs over the past 21 years. What a major difference having things fixed with OE parts and someone who can wrench making it right and tight.

Here is the full list of items needing repair, rebuild or replacement:
A: Road Test
[STRIKE]On/Off Indicator For 4wd[/STRIKE] Done 12/29/10

B: Engine

[STRIKE]Replace all vac hoses [/STRIKE]Done 12/8/12
[STRIKE]Valve adjustment and new gasket [/STRIKE]Done 11/21/12
[STRIKE]New oil pan, gasket, cooler hose, and filter[/STRIKE]Done 11/18/12
C: Ignition System
[STRIKE]Chase all Spark Plugs, new plugs, wires, dist cap & rotor, set timing [/STRIKE]-Done 12/17/10

[STRIKE]Replace Air Intake tubes [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10
CC: Electronic Control System
Diagnostic codes #25 lean
D: Fuel System
[STRIKE]F[/STRIKE][STRIKE]ull F. 1 service and clean throttle body [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10

[STRIKE]Fuel filter [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10
[STRIKE]Air Flow Meter tampered with [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10
E: Emission System

[STRIKE]Replace PVC valve, Vac hose, fresh air hose and plenum hose [/STRIKE]Done 11/24/12
[STRIKE]Replace VSV on ERG [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10
F: Exhaust System
[STRIKE]O2 wiring repair [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10

[STRIKE]New Exhaust [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10
G: Cooling System
[STRIKE]Replace bypass hoses and retest system, flush system [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10

[STRIKE]Replace A/C, P/S Fan belts[/STRIKE]
Done 11/18/12
H: Air Conditioner
Needs service - outside vendor
I Heater:
Passed Inspection
J: Transmission
[STRIKE]Full Transmission Service [/STRIKE]- Done 12/26/10

[STRIKE]Transfer case service [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10
M: Differential Front
[STRIKE]Axles [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10

[STRIKE]New Spindles[/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10
[STRIKE]New Wheel Bearings [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10
[STRIKE]New Knuckle Bearings [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10
N: Differential Rear
Rear Diff Service
O: Drive Shafts
Replace all u joints, and balance both shafts
P: Universal Joints
Cost Covered In O
Q: Brakes
[STRIKE]Front Brakes [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10

[STRIKE]New Calipers [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10
[STRIKE]Rear Brakes [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10
R: Suspension
New Old Man EMU
S: Steering
Steer center link and new stabilizer
T: Wheels and Tires
[STRIKE]Replace all wheel studs cost included in front axle
[/STRIKE]
U: Electrical System
Replace Battery and new brace and connections
[STRIKE]Reroute loom wire [/STRIKE]-Done 12/17/10

V: Functional Operations
Interior lights and side
[STRIKE]Power window switch[/STRIKE]
Done 2/11/11
Oil Pressure Gauge
W: Interior Other
Passed Inspection
X: Glass Mirrors
New Front Windshield
Y: Exterior Other
Replace wiper blades
Z: Body
Rust Free Sweet!
[STRIKE]Passed Smog Test [/STRIKE]- Done 12/17/10

Additional Items:
[STRIKE]New dash pad [/STRIKE]-Done
[STRIKE]Re-upholstered front seats [/STRIKE]Done 1/29/11
[STRIKE]New Marker lights [/STRIKE]Done 2/11/11
[STRIKE]New rear lift gate shocks [/STRIKE]- Done 2/11/11
[STRIKE]New water pump, thermostat, belts, and hoses[/STRIKE]. - Done 11/18/12

SOLD - 6/27/2014

1989 FJ62.jpg
DSC02151.jpg
DSC02186.JPG

Last edited:
Wow thats a list but it's a nice looking 60 from the outside

Yes - they are expensive, but good! However, most of the repairs I had done were to pass CA smog test. The truck had been jerry rigged to pass smog, holes drilled in the cats, did something funky to the mass air flow meter, and had messed with the muffler. I looked at a lot of trucks before I purchased this one and most of them were same condition or worse and the sellers were asking 4-6k more than what I paid for mine . I figured the front axle rebuild, brakes, tune-up and fresh fluids were a given based on everything I have read here. So the way I look at it I am already money ahead based on the prices people were asking for the their trucks and the condition my truck is in now after the repairs. Plus I have a sick new exhaust..
Now that I have a solid foundation, I will start working on the low tech items myself. All the interior items I am going to tackle. I got a new used dash pad I will be working on over the Christmas. As soon as my wallet recovers, I am going to do the lift myself.

Last edited:
Yea - new spindles. They were $307 ea. I'm not sure what they did with the old ones, I forgot to ask for the old parts. I’m guessing they are in the metal recycle bin.

Ouch, I'd ask for any old parts they have replaced.

BTW, you can buy entire front axles in serviceable condition for $300.

I'm not saying that TLC is ripping you off. I'm sure the brand new spindles are expensive. Just that if you look around, deals can be had.

Dash Pad Replacement. $1000.00 est., from shop.
Found used one online $200.00
Shipping $50.00
Drop Light - $30.00
7-pc offset racheting screwdriver set $16.00
4-5 hours labor
2 trips to hardware store (lowes has an auto fasterner section) Home Depot sucks...
FSM - Came with truck

Removal was not too bad, mostly because the last person who took it apart didn't replace most of the screws. Instrument panel was a bear. The FSM instructions were little to simple with regards to the speedo cable, disconnect.

Intallation was not to bad. Only two trips to hardware store for screws. If I would have went to lowes first it would have only been one.

No cracks, right and tight... All for under $300 bucks. $700 savings.
DSC02131.JPG
DSC02137.JPG

Last edited:
Nice man, I put a dash cap on, same process really, just placed the cap over the dash. I like the look of the dash though.

If you take your time, you'll find everything for WAAAAY less

The new dash really makes a difference. Looking good. Doing your own work pays off and you get to know your cruiser. Merry Christmas. MIke

Full transmission service, correct cooling hose - shop estimate $637.00.
One trip to Sears:
New 260 piece tool set $199.00
Breaker bar - $24.99
Trip to Auto-zone to get the *****ing socket I needed to remove the trans. oil pan plug.
24mm socket - $5.99
Found a surprise when I dropped the pan.... Found an empty hole for it...
Cleaned the filter and put everthing back together.

Cooling hose line was routed wrong and rubbing on a belt. The fitting coming off the radiator was at the wrong angle causing the hose to kink.

Re-routed hose, corrected the fitting angle. no rub and no kink now...
So far I got about 6 hours into this project. I'm starting to get to know the underside of my cruiser pretty good.

I'll do the flush in the morning.
DSC02202.jpg
DSC02203.JPG
DSC02200.JPG

Completed the transmission flush today. Started off looking nasty, It took 3 gallons before it looked clean, ran another gallon since I had it. 4 gallons total Truck shifts smoother, quieter, and I feel less drag.
Overall cost:
Tools $230 Needed tools and since this is my first project included in cost
Fluid $100
Total $330
6-7 hours under the truck, cleaning up the mess and disposal of old fluid (auto-zone takes old fluid).
Shop Estimate $637
Total savings $307 and I have a 260 piece craftsman tool set.

Congrats on the purchase, and keep trucking! :beer:

Next Project: Oil pan gasket and install two missing bell-housing bolts.
Ordered the parts today from my local Toyota dealer. As soon as the parts guy found out I was restoring a Land Cruiser, he cut me a discounts. Sweet!
All the money I am saving by doing the work myself I should be able to afford a new lift next month. At least that is how I am selling it to my wife...
I took my 3 year old son out today and we played in the mud! First time 4 wheeling the truck. This thing is a tractor!

Well done. Auto shops are killer on the wallet, good to see you're learning about your car and saving money in the process.

I feel ya on the speedo cable. They didn't really give ya any room to work with on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom