Headlight wire harness FJ60 and FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hoping to get an assist from someone who has been there -- I installed one of Erik's harnesses on my FJ62. Works like a champ. I finally got around to getting some Hella H1s (the housings have the hard white caps), but am now trying to find the guidance on how to adapt the wiring. I saw a reference in one of Erik's prior posts to this issue, but cannot for the life of me find the actual instruction.

Help a brother out, anyone?

Did you ever find an answer?

I just installed a slcfj62 harness. That is one beautiful piece of work.

Has anyone tapped off a high beam lead to power hella 700 100w drivers? I like them to function with the high beams with a seperate switch to turn them off if I want. I don't know if the relay on the harness and associated fuses are sufficient.

I can't figure out how to pm slcfj62 otherwise I would ask him directly.

Thanks for any help.

The only way you could do that is to tap into the 16 ga blue wire from the harness (the male harness plug) that plugs into the vehicle headlight plug. You could connect that to one of the aux relays (if the wire pair from the aux relay has a red band) skinny relay control wire. This would turn on the relay when high beams are selected.

The only way you could do that is to tap into the 16 ga blue wire from the harness (the male harness plug) that plugs into the vehicle headlight plug. You could connect that to one of the aux relays (if the wire pair from the aux relay has a red band) skinny relay control wire. This would turn on the relay when high beams are selected.

Attaboy slc. Got it. Outstanding work. Hope life is good post harness making days. I was one of your last customers.

if you go with the truck-lites you should be fine without

I had to make some for my Putco ones.....

Headlight wire harness FJ60 and FJ62--And now for FJ40

I have started building these headlight harnesses again. I've updated the harnesses since these prototype pictures. The harnesses I build now look a lot better. :)

After 20 years or so, the headlight wiring in our Landcruisers is just not up to the task. If your headlights are dim and yellow, you know just what I am talking about. Well, it’s time you did something to remedy this unsafe condition.

ULTIMATE HARNESS. Each headlight harness is built around the BUSSMANN weather tight enclosure and comes ready to install. You will simply disconnect your headlights, install the harness, route the wires to the headlights and connect everything up. All wiring is heavy gauge automotive wire. All connections are crimped with a ratchet crimper and insulated with sealed heat shrink. All headlight connectors are high temp ceramic. FJ60 & FJ40 harnesses can be used with stock sealed beam headlights or H4 high power headlights. FJ62 harnesses will come wired for H4/H1 headlights. If you wish to use the harness for stock sealed beam headlights, you will need to purchase a set of adapters for $15. The ULTIMATE HARNESS comes with an additional feature: You can also control auxiliary circuits. The FJ60 & FJ40 harnesses can control 2 Aux Circuits, and the FJ62 harness can control 1 Aux circuit. (NOTE: See post 13 in this thread for more info on the Aux relays.)

AUX RELAY BLOCK. In addition to the headlight harnesses, I also build an Auxiliary Relay Panel. This option is for those that have already upgraded their headlight wiring, but desire a compact solution to control additional high power accessories such as fog lights, additional driving lights, compressor, etc. This is also based on the Bussmann fuse/relay panel and will control five Auxiliary circuits.

See the link below for more info on the AUX PANEL:

LINK>>>Aux Relay Panel<<<LINK

Some customer feedback:

"….the harness works great. I am really happy with the package. Kind of reminds me of Apple products, they just work and are user oriented…"

"I wanted to write a quick note on how nice these harnesses are, I just installed one for one of my customers and it was easy and worked great."

"I'm waiting on Daniel Stern to send some lights, but I can already tell a difference in the stock lights. The harness is top notch."

"….this thing is a work of art…"

"…works as advertised…"

A NOTE about installation: FJ40 harnesses are built to install the relays/relay module by the battery on the flat surface just behind the coil. FJ60 harnesses by default are built to install on the PASSENGER side wheel well or inner fender wall, FJ62 harnesses are built to install on or above the DRIVER side wheel well. (all US spec). If you will need to have the harness built for an alternate installation location, please let me know when you place your order.

Wondering which headlights to buy?

Please see my "Headlight Bakeoff" thread for more information on headlights:

LINK>>>Headlight Bakeoff Thread<<<LINK

Special instructions here for Hella ECE headlights for your FJ62:

LINK>>> Hella ECE Headlights for FJ62<<<LINK

As an aside, my headlight harness is plug and play. It plugs into one of the vehicle headlight sockets that you disconnect when you install my harness. This provides the control to the harness. So, your headlight ON switch, and your HI/LO switch must function correctly. If you are currently having problems with your stock headlights, you must fix this before you can use my headlight harness. Please refer to this thread for help fixing your stock headlights:

LINK>>>Headlight Troubleshooting Thread<<<LINK

You should also refer back to the headlight troubleshooting thread (above link) after you have installed new headlights for instructions how to aim your new lights.

And finally PICS:
View attachment 416147View attachment 492098

Are these still available? If so, please take my money.

Are these still available? If so, please take my money.

Well, after 7 years and nearly 1000 Headlight Harnesses and Aux Panels, I've decided to cease production. I saved out enough parts to take care of any warrantee issues, so if you purchased one of my Headlight Harnesses, I will continue to take care of you, but I won't be building any new ones. Thanks to everyone for your support.

Erik

That was back in May 2017.... don’t think anything has changed since.

That was back in May 2017.... don’t think anything has changed since.

Thanks for the info. I've been away from Mud for awhile.

I'm thinking about building one to straighten out the rats nest in my new-to-me HZJ75 Troopy. I've been puzzling over the schematics and various threads but I'm still not sure which RTRM base I should use. My troopy should have the same arrangement as the FJ/HJ60 headlight wiring.

Does anyone know if @slcfj62 built the 60 series headlight harness on the 15304-2 or the 15304-5 base Bussman RTRM? Borrowing from the extensive DIY Tacomaworld thread:

• 15303-2-2-4 – This box has two internal busses, one for fuses and another for the relays. Bus stud nuts are included and attached. A tall cover is included to account for circuit breakers.
  • 15303-5-2-4 – This box has one internal bus for the fuses only. Bus stud nuts are included and attached. A tall cover is included to account for circuit breakers.

After puzzling over the diagrams a bit more, I think the answer has to be the 1530x-5 series. The #5 base has a single internal bus for the fuses. According to the diagrams in post #2, the coil side (85 and 86) of the 3 relays for the 60 need to be wired to different ground and power sources.

The diagram in post #4 on TacomaWorld show that the #2 base connects pin 86 (or 85 if you put the relay in upside down) to the bus bar. This is great if you have a common ground or using the same power source for everything on the bus bar, but @slcfj62 has the 2 of the relays on common ground and 1 switched by the headlight combo switch. Hence common bus bar won't work.

Hence if I want to recreate my own version of the Ultimate harness, I should use a Bussman RTMR 15305-5-2-4 (micro relay base, single bus, SAE mounts since metric is unavailable). I'll probably put a separate common ground bus bar for those accessories that do indeed need a common ground.

edit: fixed bussman part number to 5-2-4 for single bus (as opposed to 2-2-4 for dual bus).

Last edited:
You are correct, the fuses have a common buss which is ran to the batt positive, but the relays are not bussed. I made the mistake and ordered the wrong one first but was able to make it work for another set of circuits.

Why am I not seeing pricing? I swear I've read through the posts many times, and I must just be missing it.... Can someone please post? FJ40 and FJ60 with and without aux. Thanks in advance!

Hey y'all, I have the 'supreme' harness that @slcfj62 made. I want to wire up old-school arb running lights. Is there a pre-wire for it? Or what's the best way to do this?

Bump for my question :)
A few entries above 12/19/17 from slcfj62 in response to me will get them switched to high beams if that is any help. Don’t know how to wire to a dash switch for all time use. I only use them on high beams and my switch is always on and they illuminate when highs hit. I imagine you just tap into low headlight feed to dash switch then they would work when low beams on if your switch is on.

Is anyone making this harness anymore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom