head gasket questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
Out with the BHG 1fze...

After my daughter's Halloween overheating incident, I'm starting to wonder if in fact the head gasket DID let go on the 1fze. If it's minor, what is the minimum parts replacement I should expect? Can I just replace the old gasket if the head isn't warped? I have researched the subject without getting the answers I need.

I can do the work. Give me some hope...

Last edited:
You will need a valvegrind gasket set, an EGR valve gasket, A water return pipe gasket, a distributor o-ring, FIPG (liquid sealer, AKA silicone sealer), an oil filter, engine oil and coolant.

Verify blown head gasket with test kit sold at all part store chains. Some loan the kit and sell the chemicals. Videos on youtube show how they work and what a positive test looks like when combustion gases are found in coolant.

If you pull the head you can check if on a pane of glass on a flat table top or take it to a local machine shop for inspection.

Cruiserdan, Can you PM me a parts cost for the above items?

Thanks,

Matthew

The gaskets and seals part is about 260 bucks. Add fluids/lubricants on your end.

Have the head done by a reputable shop, mine was $375 and they did a great job. Apparently the old head gasket had made an "indention" in the head so they shaved it ever so slightly. It's way worth it after you realize how much work it takes to do the job. It's worth covering all the bases so you don't have to do it twice. In retrospect, I would have gone with new studs too, but didn't at the time.

$375?? s*** I would pay twice that and still feel like I was ripping them off! Lol

I got mine shaved for $125 and they put in the new seals etc

If you got it shaved, new seats, and guides for $125 then I hope you tipped them well. That is one heck of a deal.

My bad it was $185 (just double checked). Tiny hole in the wall shop in and out same day.

Damn! Where are those machine shops? Lol mines running $800

Mine was $500 for the full job including new valve seals, valve grind job and tipping the valve stems. I ended up paying $100 more to have new exhaust valve guides put in, so $600 out the door.

We're parking the 80, pulling the engine, tranny and tcase to replace them with a 6.2 military diesel and fj62 tranny tcase combo. Why? We have them in the shop. I always envisioned this when buying the truck, just not while we still needed it. I'll probably fab and machine a new bell housing and will have to find a conversion torque converter.

So is there any value in a 300K 1fze that needs a rebuild?

We're parking the 80, pulling the engine, tranny and tcase to replace them with a 6.2 military diesel and fj62 tranny tcase combo. Why? We have them in the shop. I always envisioned this when buying the truck, just not while we still needed it. I'll probably fab and machine a new bell housing and will have to find a conversion torque converter.

So is there any value in a 300K 1fze that needs a rebuild?

If it is a rebuild-able core then it is worth at least what the engine exchange guys charge for a core.

make a swap thread on the new one going in. I'll be following it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom