Has anyone run their 100 series in 2wd with no front differential / CV shafts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SoCal FZJ80

Happy to be Alive!
Threads
Website
www.extremelandcruiser.com
Update Edit:

For those of you who find this thread in a future "Convert to 2wd" search, it IS possible. Provided is the direct link for information to help answer your questions, or rectify your emergency.

HERE: Hub flange removal writeup

Hopefully people looking to immediately address this specific question in the future will be pointed there without further research.

For those of you who want to get a rid of the pesky front diff and rather have a solid front axle:

Earlier Original Post:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exploded (locked up) stock front differential in 2000 UZJ100.

Pulling it today and the CV shafts as this is my daily driver and I have not yet sourced a new front diff.

Anyone run theirs like this?

I am going to need to lock up the Tcase in high

(Opposite procedure of the 7 pin mod that keeps Tcase open in low).

Hoping to keep any electrical mods minimal.

Would love to hear from anyone who has run their UZJ100 like this.

Plan is to get a diff asap and back to normal, but for now I have to do what I have to do.

Thanks!

Last edited:

I have NOT done this. However, conceptually, I think it’s possible. One thing that I *think* you may have to do is breakdown your CV shafts and pull the outboard tulip with outboard shaft, then bolt it up to your hub like normal. That’s such a critical piece to the knuckle-wheel bearings-hub interface that I don’t see anyway around having at least the outboard tulip with outboard shaft. Obviously, you’ll also need to pull the front driveshaft.

EDIT: Doing what @brownfox posted above may be ideal. Allows you to leave your busted diff in there until you get a replacement.

To run it in 2WD, I think most people would pull the front output shaft and the two hub flanges so they can leave the CV's in place to keep all the dirt out of everything. If they have them available, they'll install toothless/bored out flanges to keep the hub dirt free.

Two years ago I removed my front diff, drive shaft, and axles. I drove that way (center diff lock engaged) for maybe a month or two until I got my new parts sorted to reassemble. I stuffed rags in the back of the knuckles to keep some dirt out. Ideally you’d machine the splines off the drive flanges so you can keep the axles in, just remove the drive shaft. That way everything stays sealed. I wasn’t prepared for this and was planning a knuckle/bearing rebuild anyway. My front diff also died, I replaced with TJM locker from Just Differentials.

I wrote a thread about it, not sure I ever posted the outcome. I’ll be happy to update if it’s useful.

Also the ‘Front bearing guru’ thread is very useful.

I like the idea of adding Aisin hubs (Cruiser Outfitter version). If I were to ever break the front diff, just unbolt the front driveshaft (8 nuts) and unlock the hubs and I'm mobile again. Plus, I can attempt RWD burnouts!.... might need low traction surface, high PSI in the tires.... lol.

This is a known and posted emergency procedure for a failed CV, broke axle or erupted diff.
nNThanks for using Mud's search feature.

For those of you who find this thread in a future "Convert to 2wd" search, it IS possible. Provided is the direct link for information to help answer your questions, or rectify your emergency.

HERE: Hub flange removal writeup

Hopefully people looking to immediately address this specific question in the future will be pointed there without further research.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to point out where the information is instead of mocking me. Thank you for posting direct links to answers so I could find info quickly. I took your information and summarized it even further into a single link. I posted this question in a emergency state of mind from my cell phone on the side of the road while waiting for the tow truck to pick up my wifes cruiser that we were taking my 7 year old to school in. The cruiser had just done a 55mph to 0mph power stop on a high traffic road in 3 seconds. I had to make decisions on what I was going to do next within minutes. So to anyone I offended by not taking the time to search thoroughly from a computer first, I apologize. As my user ID states... Happy to be Alive, as in so are my wife and kid. Not to mention this all happens to her cruiser on her birthday. I did not take the time while waiting in the cruiser with my wife for the tow truck to come to navigate on my phone. I was fully in the middle of giving her complete attention while pleading my case with her about fixing it, because I was told to get rid of it asap (in no short words).

Ended up the diff dropped the pinion bearing, kicked the pinion shaft sideways and locked the ring gear. I will update this thread with my followup once the differential is repaired / replaced pending the opening of the housing to inspect.

Last edited:
There is a link in the FAQ.

You can get to the FAQ by going to the main 100 series forum, it's at the top where the "stuck" threads are. There are FAQ threads on most of the series forums fyi to help people navigate the thousands of threads.

Direct link to FAQ > 100-series FAQ and scroll down to the Front axle/CV section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom