Hub flange removal writeup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Muddy Bean

Breaking something or fixing something
Threads
Website
www.scottmichaelbennett.com
I haven't seen someone do this with pics and some of you have asked so here is my somewhat lame iPhone attempt. My flanges are already machined smooth because I broke my diff but yours will be splined to mate with the CV spline you see in the last photos. Other than that, the procedure is the same. This write up applies to any situation in which you want to drive the truck in 2wd mode due to cv breakage, front diff breakage, front driveshaft breakage (yoke, ujoint bearing, etc) or you just enjoy doing burnouts.
You'll need to remove your front driveshaft to drive around in 2WD until you can get your truck repaired: Before you remove your front driveshaft, mark with a grease pencil or masking tape, a line from the flange on the driveshaft to the output flange of the transfer case and front differential so that you can reinstall your driveshaft the exact same way it was before you removed it. This keeps your splines lined up properly and reduces the chance of creating driveshaft vibration. Once you've marked it, remove your front driveshaft by loosening the bolts and gently tapping the shaft near the flange to knock it loose. Hang on to it because you do not want it landing on your face. Don't ask me how I know. Keep the bolts and nuts organized and set aside with the front driveshaft. You won't be needing this until you fix your busted diff. image-528707593.jpg image-388114960.jpg image-979781669.jpg Now, remove your drive flanges: 1. To remove the drive flanges, insert a screwdriver into the little rectangular slot of the plastic dust cap near the lugnut and just pop the plastic cover off: image-1799269500.jpg image-1778120174.jpg 2. You will need to pop off the grease cap to access the c-clip which must be removed before removing the flange. Use a screwdriver and some gentle, prying, hammer taps to remove the grease cap. image-2938777903.jpg image-2778835458.jpg image-2955377253.jpg 3. You'll need to pop off the c-clip snap ring using snap ring pliers or creative use of a flat-head screwdriver and needle-nose pliers: image-1729138196.jpg image-2863288331.jpg 4. Now you can remove the six nuts on the drive flange with a 14mm socket (you'll notice I tapped the grease cap back on to prevent dirt from getting into the splined area while I'm tapping the drive flange and removing the nuts): image-1038008267.jpg Underneath those nuts are little washers. Remove them as well: image-2913117645.jpg image-3900293049.jpg 5. Once you've removed all the nuts and washers, you can thread the nuts back on until it's flush with the stud so you can gently tap the ends with a brass hammer (don't use a regular hammer like it did, it destroys the nuts and studs) which should loosen and pop out the cone washers on each stud, another and possibly better method is to just screw the nuts on the studs to prevent the cone washers from flying across the floor when they pop loose, and tapping all around the flange. This requires you remove the tire/rim and if you have the time and ability, removing the tire and rim allows excellent access.: image-2740143692.jpg Close up of cone washer fully seated image-2259904412.jpg Cone washer popped up, success!: image-1039491861.jpg Once you've popped up all the cone washers (this takes a lot of hammering and tapping, gentle but firm, be patient during this step), you can tap on the flange and gently pry at it to get it to slide off the studs. The gasket can sometimes act like adhesive and make it stick. But it should eventually slide off the studs: image-605294400.jpg image-3277431822.jpg image-2808028431.jpg Now that you have successfully removed your drive flange, if you want to drive in 2wd for any extended period of time, it is essential to do two things: 1. Have your flanges machined on the inside to remove the splines, then order a new gasket from Toyota, and reinstall your machined flanges in the reverse order using the above instructions. 2. Be sure to reinstall your C-Clip. This is important. If you are having trouble getting the CV splined shaft to stick out of the flange far enough to reinstall the C-Clip, push and turn the CV joint/boot from the inside of the tire into the rim/axle and seat it properly. Once it is seated, you'll have just enough length on the CV splined shaft to get the C-Clip snapped back into place. As a last step, you'll want to put plastic or tape or something to cover, as best as you can, the hub/bearing/CV spline area until you can get off the trail or install machined flanges back on. This will keep as much crud, mud, dust, water, baby buffaloes and other a sundry items out of your greased bearing area. What I was able to do, was pull off the rim, and place a square piece of plastic over the hub area, I poked holes in it for the studs, and then put the rim back on which sandwiched the plastic between the rim and hub. This kept grime out until I could get my machined flanges back on. Putting your Toyota emblem dust cap back on also helps...especially with the baby buffaloes...they are just a hair too large to get by the dust cap.

image-1799269500.jpg

image-1778120174.jpg

image-1038008267.jpg

image-2913117645.jpg

image-3900293049.jpg

image-2740143692.jpg

image-2259904412.jpg

image-1039491861.jpg

image-2938777903.jpg

image-2778835458.jpg

image-2955377253.jpg

image-605294400.jpg

image-3277431822.jpg

image-2808028431.jpg

image-1729138196.jpg

image-2863288331.jpg

image-528707593.jpg

image-388114960.jpg

image-979781669.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures. You need to remove the dustcap to pull the flange.

And most important...

Don't hammer the nut when it's only threaded just a few turns on the stud. Thread the nut on so the end of the stud is exposed and use a brass drift or a brass hammer to hit the stud.

You're only threading the nut back on to prevent the cone washer from flying across the garage or across the trail. You will damage the threads if you hit it while it's slightly threaded on like that and this job will get much more labor intensive when you put everything back together.

Yes, you have to pull the c-clip off to get the flanges off. I find it easier to pop the cone washers by hitting the sides of the hub surface and work your way around. Less change of buggering up threads. Obviously you can't do this with the wheel on. It also helps to leave the nut thread on a little so when the cone washer does pop, it doesn't shoot across the shop, never to be seen again.

Don't suppose you want to crawl under your truck and get pics of where to remove the drive shaft ends so I can throw this in the FAQ as a full "get off the trail with a broken front diff" thread?

Yes, you have to pull the c-clip off to get the flanges off. I find it easier to pop the cone washers by hitting the sides of the hub surface and work your way around. Less change of buggering up threads. Obviously you can't do this with the wheel on. It also helps to leave the nut thread on a little so when the cone washer does pop, it doesn't shoot across the shop, never to be seen again.

Don't suppose you want to crawl under your truck and get pics of where to remove the drive shaft ends so I can throw this in the FAQ as a full "get off the trail with a broken front diff" thread?

Sure. I'd love that. Let me adjust the writeup with the appropriate steps too in terms of c-clip removal and better cone washer removal.

Ok, so I had already removed the front driveshaft and honestly don't want to put it back in to take photos and then pull it back out. It's 9 degrees today...even in the garage. Can someone add that part to the writeup? If push comes to shove, I can do it, but please don't make me :-/

Lol that's funny ^ but seriously, stay warm. I was just thinking last night actually that I need to know how to do this... So THANK YOU for the super timely writeup which I can now put in my ever-growing UZJ100 bookmark folder :beer:

I'm not saying you have to put it back in, just pics of the flanges so peeps can see where they are with the skids removed.

That I can do. Will take some pics today and let me know if they are what you have in mind. Right now it's -4 but should warm up to 13 today so I'll git er dun.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD while navigating gnarly trail. Typos are inherent.

Ok, I've finally gotten around to getting under the truck again today to finish this writeup. I'm having trouble understanding the dynamics of reinstalling machined flanges though. When I put the flange back on, and put the c-clip back on the CV shaft, the clip is going to rub against the lip of the flange where the grease cap sits. This normally isn't an issue because the CV and flange all turn together, but now that the CV splined shaft won't be turning, but the flange will be, I'm assuming the c-clip wasn't designed to handle that friction at 75 mph??? I'm heading to Florida in a day and need to button this truck up. Can someone shed some light on this?

Sans splines and no front driveshaft the CV should not be rotating (appreciably). There should be a slight amount of play with a properly fit snap-ring/snap-ring thickness. Assuming you used a new snap-ring you should have nothing to worry about...

Sans splines and no front driveshaft the CV should not be rotating (appreciably). There should be a slight amount of play with a properly fit snap-ring/snap-ring thickness. Assuming you used a new snap-ring you should have nothing to worry about...

I am using the original snap ring...as this is just to get me by until July. But I just wanted to be sure it was ok for the flange to be spinning against the snap ring since the CV is indeed not turning, but the drive flange is. Ok. I'm just paranoid. One last question, the CV splined shaft on one side isn't sticking out far enough for me to get the snap ring on. What's your secret? I've already used vise grips to gently pull it out as far as it will go, but once the flange is on, it isn't enough. Is there a trick to this? Having someone sit on the hood to squash the IFS a little help at all? I'm trying everything and can only stand about 15 minutes at a time out there. Was 0 again today.

Recently there was another thread about how to get the CV to seat fully outboard. I just reach behind the brake rotor/knuckle and pull the CV outboard while rotating it...to fully seat it. Might take you a couple different tries, pushing, pulling & rotating the CV, but it will eventually seat (unless of course you've installed new bearing race and didn't get the race fully seated ;)).

Recently there was another thread about how to get the CV to seat fully outboard. I just reach behind the brake rotor/knuckle and pull the CV outboard while rotating it...to fully seat it. Might take you a couple different tries, pushing, pulling & rotating the CV, but it will eventually seat (unless of course you've installed new bearing race and didn't get the race fully seated ;)).

Thank you so much. That's exactly what I needed. All buttoned up and taking for a test run right now. I'm used to the cold. but this is a whole new level. And you can't really install snap rings with gloves on. My fingers are numb, but my truck is hopefully back on the road again. Will find out in T-minus 5 minutes...or should I say T-minus 5 degrees. :frown:

I've always removed the cone washers by hitting the flange itself with the hammer. If you arent confident with your swings, you can use a drift placed on the flange, and give it a good whack.

I've always removed the cone washers by hitting the flange itself with the hammer. If you arent confident with your swings, you can use a drift placed on the flange, and give it a good whack.

Hard to do with the wheel on. If this is an on-trail fix, you may not be in a place/position to remove the wheel. You'll need a drift or you'll have to whack the stud itself.

We managed to remove the flange with the wheel on due to my hi-lift not being tall enough to lift the front wheel off the ground to remove it. Brass drift was very useful!

We managed to remove the flange with the wheel on due to my hi-lift not being tall enough to lift the front wheel off the ground to remove it. Brass drift was very useful!

There is no need to remove the wheel for this job unless:

1. You run spacers
2. Your flange is stuck on

Otherwise you can go from 4wd to 2wd with all four wheels remaining on the ground.

The only thing I'd suggest adding to your instructions MB: Its generally a good idea, before removing the driveshaft, to make match marks using a grease/wax pencil or suitable paint marker (or even masking tape if doing on the side the road/trail). This ensures, when you remount the driveshaft, you get it back on and indexed how it originally was installed. This just helps prevent driveshaft vibe potential.

Otherwise this is, IMO, a well written and documented procedure worthy of being stuck in FAQ! :cheers:

The only thing I'd suggest adding to your instructions MB: Its generally a good idea, before removing the driveshaft, to make match marks using a grease/wax pencil or suitable paint marker (or even masking tape if doing on the side the road/trail). This ensures, when you remount the driveshaft, you get it back on and indexed how it originally was installed. This just helps prevent driveshaft vibe potential. Otherwise this is, IMO, a well written and documented procedure worthy of being stuck in FAQ! :cheers:

Excellent reminder. I actually did this using a silver sharpie but again, I did this process over a three week period of time in between snow storms, concerts, and traveling. So it looks a little schizophrenic....I would be happy to be more detailed in my photos but I can't begin to describe how cold it is to be sliding under a truck right now. Temp tonight is supposed to be -10 F. Plus windchill. We are driving to florida for two weeks on Thursday morning..and plan on thawing out.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD while navigating gnarly trail. Typos are inherent.

There is no need to remove the wheel for this job unless: 1. You run spacers 2. Your flange is stuck on Otherwise you can go from 4wd to 2wd with all four wheels remaining on the ground.

Just for a safety check - I've been a fan of going the extra step of taking the wheel off and using it for a jack stand/catch incase something goes wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom