Help Diagnosing Front Differential / CV Axle Play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
See video below. 2004 LX470 w/ 250k miles. I'm trying to figure out my drivetrain clunk issue. The truck had the CV axles replaced by the dealer within the last couple of years, and I recently replaced the front diff bushings. This clunk is present both in the R-N-D shift and on in decel/accel on the road. As the first part of the video shows, the front driveshaft is moving way more than the rear on the R-N-D shift, with a pretty big clunk. The only thing I can see is that the right side drive flange has a bit of extra play, but is the rest of that play in the system normal? Is my diff going bad, and if so can it be re-shimmed? What is the next best step in diagnosis?

Check your drive flanges where the cv axle comes through at the dust cap. May have some wear at the location. Can't speak to the inner movement.

Check your drive flanges where the cv axle comes through at the dust cap. May have some wear at the location. Can't speak to the inner movement.

Yeah as I noted the right flange has a little play but I'm not sure it's responsible for the large amount play in the system...

I agree your drive flanges are responsible for most of it.

Your diff is likely fine and all diffs have some play. The cumulative play between the transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, u joints, etc adds up. Even brand new trucks have play like that. Most of our clunk is from bushings, and CV splines/flanges.

Start chasing play and cluck, from outer most point.

Hub flange Failing (2).JPG

New
Hub flange new (5) 06LC 196K.jpg

FDS axle splines shot
FDS 04LC 210K bad axle snap ring goove DS.JPG

FDS New
FDS axle new.JPG

Last edited:
SOLVED!

It was definitely the passenger side drive flange causing the clunk. Once I replaced it with a new one the major clunk that was concerning me has disappeared. There's still some noise when shifting R-N-D but as @Patassa mentioned there's always going to be some "normal" slack in the system. I imagine there's got to be some wear on the inner CV drive flanges in the diff after 250k miles causing a bit of play that wasn't there when new.

Here's the wear on the inner side of the flange:
IMG_20240123_173909.jpg

This wear is really only visible on the inside edge; the outside appears fine at first glance. As a tip to anyone chasing the drivetrain clunk, especially when on/off throttle, it only takes a minute to pop off your center cap and the axle dust cap. Then have someone shift between R and D while you look at the axle. If there's any movement, it's time to replace the drive flange!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom