100 Series both CV boots leaking on front axles (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Ih8mud community. I recently purchased a ‘99 100 series in Texas. After driving it for a few days I realized both of my top CV boots on the front Axles are leaking. Took it to a shop and they tightened them down just for it to happen a few days later. The boots themselves are new and are not torn. Leaking from the bottom seal with the metal clamp around it. Any clues for fixing? Located in ATX.

IMG_3606.jpeg

IMG_3604.jpeg

Gusher. Have you tried marine style worm clamps? They have rolled edges to protect rubber. Cruiser garage or McMaster Carr sell them.
My cv boots were leaking, not quite as significantly, put the marine clamps on and dry as a bone months since.

You can try the worm clamps, careful not to overtighten them though or that will lead to torn boots. Clean everything up, carefully cut off the old clamps, install new worm clamps tighten till snug. Check every couple of days, if seeping, tighten a tiny bit more, keep checking and tightening until the seeping stops. You have lost quite a bit of grease but there's a ton of grease in those joints so you might be ok.

If you really want to solve this for good though you'll need to reboot from scratch. It's not the most fun job and it pretty labor intensive.

Kinda odd that they both gave out and started leaking heavily like that at the same time.

Last edited:
The boots also need to be seated in a grove before tightening the clamps. I wonder if the boot was not seated before it was clamped. Agree with folks recommending the McMaster-Carr rolled edge worm gear clamps.

Same has happened to me and other members on the forum. Lifting the truck changes the CV angles and causes it to leak. My boots were completely destroyed, so bought a reboot kit and rebuilt both the CV's. Its a messy job, replacing with OEM CV's might be a better option.
Diff drop helps if you haven't already done it.

Mine started leaking after I took off the front sway bar and went wheeling. It was reboot 20k miles ago

Might be worth reducing the CV angles with the torsion bar adjustment until you reboot or drop the diff. Old boots at high angles are going to struggle.

You have water leaking into the boot hence the yellow colour of the grease. Slide the boot down and repack with grease

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom