Builds Halo's New Ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the body mounts im using are rubber casters actually..i have had great luck with hockeypucks on everything, engines/trans/tcase mounts, body mounts etc.etc.etc....i found these at the steel supply in a big bin. they were a dollar a piece.rubber with a metal sleeve in the center...perfect. it raised my body by about 3/4 of an inch. im not worried about ride quality, im sure body mounts wont be felt over boggers. no i dont have any more rubber anywhere, basicly, bought new bolts/washers/nuts for the body mounts, picked the body up and sat them on the mounts...took about 30 minutes of work

Cool find on the casters; what is their intended use? Thanks for the info and the cool thread.

i dunno what they were used for...they just fit well so i used them..lol

I DID IT FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

THE REAR END IS HUNG!! SAAAAAWEET! the bitch finally rolls again. i got new spring pins for the springs to bolt them together, since one of mine broke. i took the smallest leaf off of the springs so it would be a little softer....lined everything up, and tacked'er in there. set 'er down, and double checked my shiat...then i burned everything in. woot! im stoked!

THIS IS AT RIDE HIEGHT. I KNOW IT WILL GO DOWN WHEN A CAGE AND SEATS, TOOL BOX, ETC GOES IN IT

Last edited:
Nice, that thing is lookin' sick! That dep. angle is tight. Oh yeah, what size are those tires? I'm guessing 35s but it's hard to tell with all that trimming. Nice work bro.

they were supposed to be 38.5's but my buddy over in iraq had a jeep with brand new 35'' shoes, and i couldnt let them go to waste sitting in the sun for a year, they would be trash when he gets back...so i bought them off of him.

Nice work! Thanks for all your posts maybe we'll see that thing in Moab!??!

well i installed my rear locker tonite.

tomarrow ill be installing the gears

i musta put 50 feet a wire in there....it aint goin anywhere...i think the most comical thing about this was when i used the brake clean to clean the gears, i knew it was going to accumulate on the bottom of the bucket.....so i sparked the stinger against the ground and got 4 foot flames out of the bucket!!!!!

over and over and over and over it caught on fire, and then when welding it flamed up, over and over and over....well you get the point....it was fun showin the S.O. how the welder works...lol

ill post my gear pattern here to make sure my pattern is groovy before i button the rear end up.

FYI: 30 year old gear oil REALLY get your head buzzin when it burns.

Last edited:
Your not worried about any warpage? It would seem to me that with that much quick and prolonged heating with the rapid cool down might deform it a bit. I dont know how you could check to make sure everything is still good to go but I am sure some one in here does.

yeah, Dint it take woody like a week to weld his>?

well, i think something moved when i did weld it...i cranked my miller to 6, and the wire speed to 85...so it was hummin when i burned it in....i tacked all 4 side gears and left the cross shaft in it...so then i got to burnin...i never used my welder on that high of a heat, it was crazy watching my gear teeth melt away...im not worried that much about warpage...although my cross shaft is a little harder to get out now...it needs a little persuasion from the hammer...so i hit the shaft with some emery cloth..it goes in BOFUS..i need ring gear bolts and a drive shaft flange..unknown to me untill i took it apart. now im waiting on that crap. then ill set the gears up.

well hows it going? We want updates man!!! :bounce:

sorry d00ds, but im trying to close on a house at the moment, everything has been stopped untill that is finished....although...i can put my rear gears in, and other bits....mebbe this next week i can install my rear gears. i finally got my ring gear bolt kit and my pinion flanges, so i can finish installing....ill keep ya posted.

inspiring thread! i need to get back to work on my ride. would like to be wheeln by summer... lots of work to do.

You did that with mig? Guess you don't have a stick welder huh?

why stick when you have a big MIG?

oh, and look at my pattern, it looks good to me, but i need some other opinoins. sorry about the picture quality, but all i had was my camera phone, since i didnt know i was going to have the time on friday to set the gears up.

Last edited:
That goo you used makes it a little hard to read but it looks near dead on to me.

BTW, what welder - an mm210 or 251? The rest of your welds is puuuurty!

Last edited:
im using a milller-matic 185. its been tuned and tweaked a bit....i have no problems welding 1/2 plate with it in one pass....it literally was melting the spider gears when i was welding the diff closed....actually, i didnt mean to go overboard, but teh chick was in the garage with me, and she never understood how the welder worked....so i was giving a little class and letting her watch it weld up...other wise i wouldnt have put so much in'thar

edit: i personally think that the pinion needs to go farther away from the ring gear, but i dont see what .0040 or whatever i put under my pinion bearing is going to do to that pattern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom