Builds HAAANK's 1994 FZJ80 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
12/17/16 Update

It's funny looking back on my initial plans. Such ambition, LOL. Ditched plans denoted by the strike through.
I love working on the rig but with the boys I'm good for about 20min before I need to break and make sure they a haven't killed each other. That said, I've been training them to help me out and it super fun to wrench with them.

Over the weekend I hope to update my build thread, not the best documentarian but it will be good motivation for me to get better about it.

==========
Update Index
==========

Mechanical:
Head Gasket
Dielectric in the NSS barrel connector

Electrical:
LEDs throughout interior
Fix Flickering/always on door Ajar indicator light
2013 frs Scion Stereo bluetooth!
Power Inverter
Upgrade Speakers
Led Light bars
Compressor, YORK OBA
2nd battery
Remote start / keyless entry
Headlight bulb upgrade
headlight paint

Interior
Repair seat upholstery
Install Sheepsking fronts
Heated seats
Attic Shelf
Replaced dash pad w/ one in much better condition
Removed and shampooed the carpet + new jute
Storage drawers/sleep platform
Car seat anchors x3 — 3 kids four and under
wrap dash

Peel n’ seal and Rhino line floor

Exterior
Flare Removal
Trail Gear Front Bumper
Labs bumper with dual swing-outs
OME Heavies and L's
Tires
Flat roof rack
Sanding down to the light grey primer and keeping it there for a bit
Grizz emblem - Get a personalized badge for your Toyota.
JDM front plate
Welded in rocker sliders
DIY "gull wing" hatches
Under floor storage (stock spare location, not sure it's possible but it's pretty common on adventure vans). Update: it is possible! threads/more-cargo-room.167864/]More cargo room
Poler LeTent Poler Stuff
heritage blue - paint? Dip?
Under Dawg Fabwerks Armor

Original post:

Picking up my FZJ80 on Tuesday in NC and driving it back to Cleveland.

N00B alert: First eBay car purchase, I kinda accidentally won the auction :doh: hopefully it's not a POS. The Carfax checked out so we'll see.

103,XXX mi
Triple locked
Dark Green exterior
Grey leather

My wife wasn’t super on board with—read: full fledge against—the purchase of this particular cruiser, but I couldn’t not bid on it...20min pass…auction won…:censor:.

I’ll be paying for that mistake for a looooooong time:slap: and the 1st payment/1st upgrade will be remote start, which she will be super happy about. The interior is rough, so I plan on reupholstering and installing heat in the seats and covering the dash with new leather, thinking veg tanned rubbed with olive oil. I bought some led panels for the dome lights so those will be early on too. When I paint I may do the peel n' seal rhino liner combo to decrease sound and increase cleanability—3 boys under four.

The car it’s replacing might be worth a couple Gs and that money will go towards a lift. Thinking either 3”/33s or 4”/35s on the stock rims. I really like the stance on @jcardona1’s 80 in these shots. I love the mad max style too, but my wife wants paint. and paint she will get. Currently looking at Heritage Blue. I think it will go well with the leather I'll be putting in.

Paint will likely be this coming spring/summer as it's bitter cold here in Ohio for the next 12 months...I mean 6.

Also thought I’d mention Trello, its free and great for managing projects. I use it around the house as well as professionally.

Last edited:
Welcome @HAAANK !
Don't forget to post plenty of pics!
This sounds like it will be a fun build-up!

Look forward to seeing this accidental purchase!

A couple shots from PO:
$_57.JPG

$_57 (1).JPG

Faded hood
$_57 (2).JPG

$_57 (8).JPG

$_57 (21).JPG

...and the interior
$_57 (4).JPG

$_57 (3).JPG

$_57 (14).JPG

$_57 (15).JPG

$_57 (16).JPG

How great mileage, must have sat outside in some sun for a long time??
yeah, must have never been waxed or garaged. I spoke with the PO today and he mentioned that he waxed it and it helped out. I take that as a good sign. I've seen old cars that were never waxed / never garaged and the wax just stuck to the paint. I'll be painting it anyway so NBD.

Life is an adventure, good luck to you!

About to lift off here in Cleveland. Should be back here in about 15 hours if all goes well.

Here's my reading list:

Switch - Dan Heath

Art of War - Sun Tzu

Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls - David Sedaris

Yes Please - Amy Poehler

Bossy pants - Tina Fey

The Innovators: How A Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital
Revolution - Walter Isaacson

Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography - Neil Patrick Harris

Money and Power: How Goldman Sachs Came to Rule the World - William D Cohnan

Last edited:
Congrats. Looks like a great start. Nice find.

About to lift off here in Cleveland. Should be back here in about 15 hours if all goes well.

Here's my reading list:

Switch
Art of War
Let's explore diabetes with owls
Yes please
Bossy pants
The innovators: how a group of hackers, geniuses, and geeks created the digital revolution
Neil Patrick Harris: choose your own autobiography
Money and power: how Goldman Sachs came to rule the world

I'd choose Money and Power then read Art of War and go take out a couple of CEO's for fun... but thats just me.

Last edited:
I'd choose Money and Power then read At of War and go take out a couple of CEO's for fun... but thats just me.

On the double!

I can't say how many times I've meant to start Art of War, pretty excited to jump in.

A couple years ago I got a little too deep into critical content about the financial system: Secret of Oz, Creature of Jekyll Island, etc. It was kind of a downer for me, so I'm as excited as I am cautious about Money and Power, ha ha.

Update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom