Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks ! , I know I've seen some guy in here that sells them but I can't remember his name ...he has a nice stage4 turbo kit on it...

Your rig looks really cool...
Some kind of raw monster :)

I think these fenders would match:
5%252C5inchfenders.jpg
Thanks :) Those are some really cool flares but I've gotten use to the flareless look. Besides, they'd just get torn off again!

Haven't done much to the truck lately aside from finish painting the wheels. I think I'm burned out after the HG job. Need to just enjoy the truck for a bit. So that's what I did this weekend. Took a short camping trip to a new campsite I was told about. Such a cool spot! The trail leading to the site is a little rough so it keeps out a lot of people. Definitely need a 4x4 to make back up the hill.

Here's the site as I was the first to arrive. Check out the cup holders cut into the bench :cheers:
8927135916_b4eec5061c_h.jpg

The river running right behind the site
8926826335_2022fbc7a3_h.jpg

And here's a view from the river. They even made stairs out of rocks. How cool is that!
8927710926_7d8236837e_h.jpg

Damn I need to be there stat. Looking for a campsite this coming weekend. Is that in the Tahoe area?

Not quite that far out. It's in the Stanislaus National Forest. Miles and miles of fire roads that you could not explore in a lifetime!

I've been wanting to mount an ice chest out back for when I take short day trips to the lake and whatnot where I don't need extra fuel or water cans. I couldn't find anything that would fit and maximize the entire basket, locally at least. Everything was too big or too small. Then I remembered ice chests are made of plastic and I had a 1500w heat gun at home. Problem solved :flipoff2:

Bought a $20 Igloo 38qt ice chest, took off the handle and wheels and molded it to fit. Ghetto-fabulous, but it fits and does what I need it to do. Best of all, I didn't have to spend $800 on some fancy pants brand name ice chest :meh:

1005044_10200639829856592_539413947_n1_1_zps8c0dbe1c.jpg

I've been wanting to mount an ice chest out back for when I take short day trips to the lake and whatnot where I don't need extra fuel or water cans. I couldn't find anything that would fit and maximize the entire basket, locally at least. Everything was too big or too small. Then I remembered ice chests are made of plastic and I had a 1500w heat gun at home. Problem solved :flipoff2:

Bought a $20 Igloo 38qt ice chest, took off the handle and wheels and molded it to fit. Ghetto-fabulous, but it fits and does what I need it to do. Best of all, I didn't have to spend $800 on some fancy pants brand name ice chest :meh:

Live the engenuity!

After adding the rear bumper and all the extra weight the rear-end was starting to sag a bit. And it was really noticeable when loaded up with lots of weight for camping trips. Last night I added some 1" spacers to bring it up again. Now it's back to where it should be :)

0MJC41nh.png

You can see how bad it was sagging in this photo

8927135916_b4eec5061c_h.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see you're enjoying it once again. Did you ever figure out that loss of power, was it from the trans cable?

Glad to see you're enjoying it once again. Did you ever figure out that loss of power, was it from the trans cable?
I did! Here's the post from the other thread :)

Here's a bit of an update for those following and just in case anybody else stumbles on this thread in the future.

PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!

Turns out it was the TPS! After doing a 250 mile trip this past weekend I ended up getting a P0510 code (Closed Throttle Position Switch). So I guess the TPS can start to crap out without getting any codes thrown. After I saw this code I had a feeling this was cause of all my problems. Ordered a new one from Lowe Toyota for $78.

Today I tore off the throttle body so I could install the TPS and adjust it according to the FSM. I probably could have done it with the throttle body on but I wanted to check the throttle opener and dashpots, and you need to apply vacuum to the opener. It would have been a pain in the ass to do while installed. I adjusted the TPS exactly per the FSM. I set it all the way counterclockwise, connected the two terminals to my multimeter and rotated the TPS clockwise until the ohms deflected, then I tightened it down.

I also removed the IAC, cleaned it and tested it per the FSM to make sure it was working properly.

After all was said and done I took it for a test drive and WOW. It was like a night and day difference. Feels like the hotrod forklift that it was meant to be. No more sluggish acceleration and crappy shifting and flooring the gas pedal to kickdown into a lower gear. Before the new TPS I was paying attention to the shift patterns and it was shifting way too early coming out of stop. It would go from 1st to 2nd gear at about 1500 RPMs, which of course caused it to accelerate like garbage. Now it holds the gears like it should, and a bit longer if you give it more gas.

At freeway speeds it also holds the kickdown gear longer. Prior I had to floor the gas pedal to get it to kickdown. And it would only hold this gear for a split second then upshift back to where it was. Another issue I had was a slightly surging idle while stopped. The RPMs were in the proper range but it would surge up and down. Now it's rock solid in the 600s.

So there you have it. Check your TPS if you're having these issues. Heck, for $78 just change the damn thing and make sure it's adjusted properly. Glad it wasn't the shift solenoids (for now at least). Oh, and D-light is still out :flipoff2:

What brand wheel are your 17x9s?

they remind me of the JAOS brand.

They're Level 8 wheels. Model is 'Strike 6'.

Just got back from a pretty awesome camping trip. The initial plan was to do some actual wheeling and then camp with just the wife and I but we had some friends want to tag along last minute. They drive a Toyota Matrix :lol: so we headed off to an area that was supposed to be easier to reach. Well, their car started bottoming out so they had to park while I went to find a place and dropped off my stuff. I then came back and took them to the campsite. So I couldn't do as much exploring as I wanted to but it was great trip. And I think they're in love with the outdoors now and are even considering selling one of their cars for a newish Toyota SUV :)

We ended up near Bowman Lake and Sawmill Lake in the Tahoe National Forest. So many miles of forest roads to explore up here, will definitely be back!

Driving into Bowman Lake
9235616792_2eebc79e52_h.jpg

Found a campsite!
9236330664_8eb26edc02_h.jpg

Campsite
9236329008_15fa77a259_h.jpg

My wife (on the left) an our two mutts
9235789136_3b6a22a717_h.jpg

The road into Sawmill Lake
9236327324_8c0a4864e2_h.jpg

Sawmill Lake, one of the most beautiful lakes I've ever seen!
9233221853_98175c35a9_h.jpg

Sawmill Lake spilling into Canyon Creek (I think?)
9236004908_db90529034_h.jpg

Canyon Creek
9233219673_0914a577be_h.jpg

Canyon Creek
9233223665_392f4916c4_h.jpg

Canyon Creek
9233225641_31f3bac571_h.jpg

Great pic's
We try to hit that area once a year.
Don't forget your fishing pole next time,lot's of german brown and rainbow trout in those lakes.
There's also some secret spot's past sawmill to do a little wheeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom