H151F 100 vs 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I am mulling over replacing my H151 with a new unit. Still getting gear howl from the trans and highway vibrations which I am convinced are related. Many people have been saying "trans can't cause vibes" but when you look up the definition of gear whine, I beg to differ.

So that brings me to what to replace it with. I am more inclined to replace with a more updated version of gearbox.

Turns out there are two different versions of 100 series H151s... "bench seat" and "separate seat". These define shifter positions as far as I can tell. Bench seat has the same shifter position as the 80.

So.

33030-6A290 looks like something that would work. However I want to double check everything. Input shaft is the same but output is not. Does anyone know if the output shaft on the 100 H151F box has the same spline count/length? IE are the transfer cases on the non R151 100s capatible with the 80 series?

Last edited:
I am also intrigued by the 78/79 series Turbo H151F trans since it is $500 cheaper!

I looked up the part # for a 2006 model and it came up with:

33030-6A570

Would be interesting to see how new of a version I can get into my 80? Needs to be compatible with the 1HD-T and 80 series HF2A (non VC).

AFAIK still same input 14 splines coarse .. variations on shifter position.

I read somewhere, that there is a late ( very new ) version with tallest 5ft gear .. don't quote me on this last ..

AFAIK still same input 14 splines coarse .. variations on shifter position.

I read somewhere, that there is a late ( very new ) version with tallest 5ft gear .. don't quote me on this last ..

Tall 5th gear? You have my attention.

Tall 5th gear? You have my attention.

Its the gearbox for the 2017 7* series but these are a H150. To my knowledge, the H151 wasn't used in a 7* series, only the 100 series. The 200 series used the H150 in some markets

Mine is bolted to the transfer it came with. Can't say what the model is...View attachment 1406826 View attachment 1406827

That's an auto trans. lol

Its the gearbox for the 2017 7* series but these are a H150. To my knowledge, the H151 wasn't used in a 7* series, only the 100 series. The 200 series used the H150 in some markets

Hmmm I wonder if this is H150 and not H151? I think it's H150 after some looking... 1st gear cross reference crosses with H150 trans instead of H151... damn.

Capture.JPG

Input shaft on this trans is the same as the 80 - 33301-60060.

Input shaft into the transfer case on this same HDJ79 model is also the same as the 80, therefore I can probably assume the output shaft on the H150 for this truck is compatible with the 80 series.

Looks promising so far.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the shifter on the 100 transmission above is definitely farther back than the 80...here is my H151F sitting on the bench for comparison. You may be able to swap the shift tower, but IDK.

full

Looks to me like the shifter on the 100 transmission above is definitely farther back than the 80...here is my H151F sitting on the bench for comparison. You may be able to swap the shift tower, but IDK.

full

Yup it's definitely farther back on @woytovich H151 pic. That's for the 100 series with the center consoles. The shifter position is different on 100 models with the bench seat at the front. IE it would be in the same place as on the H151 in your pic. :) It's probably a rare trans then for someone to put eyes on....

What does that mean? What are the other styles?

There are different shifter positions on 100 series...

This is "separate seat" where the shifter is farther back:

HZJ105 015 resized.jpg

And this is "bench seat" where the shifter is in the same position as the 80 series H151:

venta 123.jpg

Cool... I had no idea. Is it just the shift tower? I'm putting a 2UZ and H151 into an FJ45LV so maybe the "separate seat" will be better...

Last edited:
Coll... I had no idea. Is it just the shift tower? I'm putting a 2UZ and H151 into an FJ45LV so maybe the "separate seat" will be better...

It's a bunch of stuff... shift fork configuration, middle and rear transmission casing.. I don't think it's economically feasible to convert one to the other.

This is the H150 position in the HDJ78/79 pre 07
exotic cruisers 011.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom