GX470 Wheel/Tire/Lift Picture Combination Thread (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@RigX I really like your setup too. I would prefer to run 255/80r17s, but I bought my rig with 17x9 wheels and 285/70r17s. So, I'm gonna stick with 285s when I replace the tires next year. I'm really liking the 285/70r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I think they come with a 50k mile warranty. I just gotta check how wide they are. They might be wider than my 285/70r17 BFG KOs.

Just picked up my new to me Prado! Took it straight to the shop to have my new wheels/tires installed. And the immediately parked it to catch a bullet train to Tokyo for a gig...
Lift and custom audio to come very soon.

2008 Toyota Prado 42,000kilos (1 owner whom took super good care of it) Still has the plastic on the floor board area and dash!?
Wheels: MKW MK-46 Gloss Black
Tires: Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70/17
Lift: Coming soon

Cheers

8842F504-EFAD-4D36-826B-85D128FF327C.jpeg

85910A6A-5E9D-4ECE-942F-83A4B0E0971D.jpeg

F927AD48-2DEB-4C96-9249-8ED02938359C.jpeg

918A9139-952F-4775-988F-A73DA72A839E.jpeg

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but why is everyone going with such skinny tires? I would love to slap 285s on mine.
I had 285s on my 03 supercharged Tacoma. Back then, I thought they were great: looked meaty, hooked up well on warm summer days with the extra HP, cool factor, all that. After a few (many) rain, snow and ice issues on slick paved roads, I decided they weren’t for me. 95% of my driving was on pavement.

Wider tires increase contact patch ‘width’ a little, but not inch for inch like you’d expect. Tire pressure is important too. Maybe the most important. Paired with our light rigs, wide tires can have a diminishing effect, reducing vertical pressure on the ground and using friction arguably less efficiently, all while creating a snow plow effect. You can argue that narrower tires, running lower pressures create better traction by increasing the length of the contact patch while not noticeably increasing the width and causing more drag.

There’s tons of articles about this. Not everyone cares, they just buy what looks nice. And there’s nothing wrong with that. I run 265/70-17s on stock rims on the 4Runner and like the taller profile. But I’m not lifted and not really rushing toward the tall club. That’s what the FJ40 is for...

We just got new tires for our GX.

wheels: stock
tires: 255/80/17 Toyo Open Country AT II
spacers: none
Lift: TJM 2.5 lift with JBA upper control arms. lowest perch setting on front springs.

These fill the wheel wells so much better than the previous 265/70/17's . My biggest concern with going to load range E tires was a loss of ride quality. However, i think the extra sidewall retains a complaint ride. While turning, there is some slight rubbing on the plastic piece at the front end of the running board. Some trimming will be needed but running board can still be retained for convenience of my :princess: and kids.

IMG_20180630_180821.jpg

Metal Teck Rock Sliders, Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Metal Tech Rear coil conversion, TOYO AT2s 265/70/17 on Stock wheels (Dark Grey) and Spider Trax spacers Very light rub when wheel is full lock turning /backup - Considering 285s now :)

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

Last edited:

Lift: TJM 2.5 lift with JBA upper control arms. lowest perch setting on front springs.

These fill the wheel wells so much better than the previous 265/70/17's . My biggest concern with going to load range E tires was a loss of ride quality. However, i think the extra sidewall retains a complaint ride. While turning, there is some slight rubbing on the plastic piece at the front end of the running board. Some trimming will be needed but running board can still be retained for convenience of my :princess: and kids.

View attachment 1735225

Looks great, and thanks for mentioning the ride with the load range E...that's been a concern for me regarding that tire size.

No more 300D-T in your sig line...say it ain't so!

View attachment 1735225

I also have a very small amount of rubbing, but it’s so little I am not going to worry about it.

EBF5DBE5-575B-4BD1-AF57-88D257FB6A80.jpeg

wheels: 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport (Had to grind calipers to fit. Not ideal.)
tires: 265/70-17 BFG K/O2 E-rated
Lift: Dobinsons 302 on Blistien 5100 lowest setting. Airbag trick rear on Blistien 5100

Driven 1500 miles or so. Ride is good accept for the E-rated tires. Definitely feel the weight of the tires braking and accelerating. Front sway bar is making noise now and PS link is leaking. Time for quick disconnects. Might make spacers for rear airbags. Ride is decent, but I think they would relieve stress on the over-inflated bags.

IMG_20180704_190149.jpg

Not the first to pull off this combo, but switched to 20" 4Runner Limited wheels with 275/55r20 tires (getting rid of the god awful 17" OEM chrome wheels). No rubbing and the ride is only slightly firmer than with the 17" tires, which is more than worth it for how much more stable & secure the ride is now.

Now to find Lexus logo'd center caps that'll fit to replace the Toyota logo'd center caps ...

full

Last edited:
20180807_064743-01.jpeg
20180807_064757-01.jpeg

295/70/17 Toyo RTs on 17" Black Rhino Roku +12 offset with Icon 2.5" lift

I like the look, but it seems like a lot of tire with minimal suspension work.
How much does it rub?
What are the specs on the wheels, tires, and suspension?

Ah you can never have too much tire and not enough lift granted it clears. You can however have too much lift and not enough tire :) At the moment everything perfect and I get no rubbing at all however I did modify several things to get it on 33's to clear that way. The trucks on a full set of coilovers so I can adjust it wherever but personally I don't care for the GX high as I do a 4 runner or Tacoma there tall themselves so it just amplifies the awkward shape.

Wheels are 20x11 -20 BC Forged LE61's wrapped in 33x12.5x20 Toyo Open Country M/T's and the suspension is a prototype BC Racing ER series full coilover kit with 32 way dual adjustable coilovers with Swift Springs.

BC racing for off road? That is interesting. How much travel? I have a few friend that are happy with BC on lowered street cars. You the first one I heard have BC on 4x4.

ER is fully adjustable compression and rebound with piggy back reservoir right? Is this designed for off road or just street use?

What is the price range for this?

BC racing for off road? That is interesting. How much travel? I have a few friend that are happy with BC on lowered street cars. You the first one I heard have BC on 4x4.

ER is fully adjustable compression and rebound with piggy back reservoir right? Is this designed for off road or just street use?

What is the price range for this?

Yes sir. There isn't much out there at all yet however there is a Jeep JKU kit being produced which is almost complete and then this GX kit which will easily roll into 4 Runner, Tacoma, and FJ application with light spring rate changes.

The ER is full adjustable compression and rebound and this may not stick with final kits as it seems rebound adjustability is more prevalent on off road applications than dampening. This kit was mainly to allow for a full range of adjustability and if possible the compression adjustment will be remove which will help reduce cost. The main goal is for both onroad and offroad use which is the main reason we'd like to keep some adjustability for ride quality. Assuming each person will find a happy medium or adjust for offroad or onroad use specifically.

Nothing pricing wise set in stone yet and this kit is still in the development stages. I should have an up to date kit at the beginning of September which I will take a few photos and post them up. As you may know already most of there kits for cars/suvs are around $995 shipped and I assume these kits will chime in anywhere from that to around $1400.

Nothing special, just slightly upsized winter tires on my new (to me) GX. The previous owner deleted the running boards with what appears to have been a hacksaw or maybe their teeth. Some weekend cheap mods, but no evidence of off-roading and a spotless service record.

wheels: stock (rattle-canned black by the previous owner, poorly: Thanks previous owner! o_O)
tires: 265/70/17R Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
Lift: Stock with deleted running boards

Side View.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom