GX470 Quad HID Projector Retrofit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like many GX470 owners, I was not happy with the output of my OEM halogen headlights.

My original plan was to retrofit in S2000 HID projectors in the factory low beam location.
Along the way, ran into problems with mounting the projector to the factory bracket.
DSC-0506.jpg

Instead of cutting up the factory bracket, I decided to enlist the help of a friend to make some custom brackets. Given that the factory GX470 has 2 projectors per light, why not make a bracket that would allow mounting two HID projectors per side? Here's the original design below. Final brackets will be laser cut and CNC bent metal.
44337392-479928392512418-726044636337930240-n.png

Prototype 3D printed and test fit.
IMG-1756.jpg

IMG-1757.jpg

IMG-1758.jpg

IMG-1755.jpg

Some adjustments would need to be made to allow proper clearances and adjustment of the low beam. Factory projector is 2.5" size. New projectors will be 3"!
48110930-340325146786497-970821333707390976-n.jpg

48274908-224499965113942-8204662865769005056-n.jpg

View attachment 1864290

The brackets will now be produced in metal! The brackets will allow for multiple different bi-xenon projectors to be mounted. Morimoto 4.0, Morimoto 5.0, or G5 variants (G5-R, G5-EX). I will be running Morimoto 5.0's.

morimoto-mini-d2s-5-0-bi-xenon-headlight-retrofit-projectors-1-22.jpg

Output shots from a single projector:

Low beam:
morimoto-mini-d2s-5-0-bi-xenon-headlight-retrofit-projectors-low-action.jpg

High beam:
morimoto_mini_d2s_5.0_bi-xenon_headlight_retrofit_projectors_high_action.jpg

Color band and intensity close up:
morimoto_mini_d2s_5.0_bi-xenon_headlight_retrofit_projectors_ece_slope.jpg

More updated to come!

Last edited:
Since you have the lights apart, have you thought about having the orange reflectors made in clear/smoke? These guys can do it, but it requires a group buy:
Klearz USA - About Us

Very ambitious plan... something I was not willing to invest the time and money to do. I’m curious to see how you deal with adjusting the projectors so they are all level and matching side to side cutoffs using one bracket.
The M-LED will require a slightly different attachment points .. while it has the same base as the D2S 5.0 which replaced the 4.0 the actual projector sits about 1/4 inch higher. Good luck with this project as I know the GX crowd could use it.

Very ambitious plan... something I was not willing to invest the time and money to do. I’m curious to see how you deal with adjusting the projectors so they are all level and matching side to side cutoffs using one bracket.
The M-LED will require a slightly different attachment points .. while it has the same base as the D2S 5.0 which replaced the 4.0 the actual projector sits about 1/4 inch higher. Good luck with this project as I know the GX crowd could use it.

I don't think there would be a way to keep all four projectors level and matching side to side cut offs. The original low beams will be aligned and the original high beam projectors would be aligned at a higher plane. No way around it.

Thanks for the info on the M-LED. I did not know they sat higher but I had similar experience when installing Koito Bi-LEDs in a Tacoma using the nut and bolt method. The lens sat much higher than the base of the projector.

I would prefer bixenon to avoid the on/off cycling on high beams (particularly for momentary), but this is a fascinating option.

I would prefer bixenon to avoid the on/off cycling on high beams (particularly for momentary), but this is a fascinating option.

All the projector options this bracket is made for are bi-xenon. That means double the fun of low and high beams!
Of course depending on how it's wired, you could run just a single set for low beams only.

I don't think there would be a way to keep all four projectors level and matching side to side cut offs. The original low beams will be aligned and the original high beam projectors would be aligned at a higher plane. No way around it.

Thanks for the info on the M-LED. I did not know they sat higher but I had similar experience when installing Koito Bi-LEDs in a Tacoma using the nut and bolt method. The lens sat much higher than the base of the projector.

I think you could figure it out ... maybe using longer bolts on the bottom and one of the top bolts and use spacers to shim the projector to match the plane off the top projector

This is awesome! Are you going to offer them for sale once you finalized design and fit?

If they’re not too steep I’d like to buy a set for future use. Update us ASAP when it’s all finished with output shots etc...

Good work

You better be ready. I will post this on GXOR and you will get lit up with orders lol.

I'm in!

Would like to see outputs with the quad bixenon though.

Last edited:
I'm ready!

-Rex from GXOR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom