GX470 HID Projector Retrofit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not in the short term...the cost involved vs return doesn't calculate... just opening the lights and removing bracket is 3-4 times harder then the LX. The OEM bracket would have to be cut and the new bracket attached to the remaining portion.. The GX has one large bracket housing both low and high beam so a new bracket would have to be attached to allow full adjustment. I'll continue working on this and might offer fully retrofitted lights in brand new OEM housing.

I've subscribed to this thread so hopefully if you follow through I would be interested in a custom projector bracket.

How's this mod doing for you @Luke111? Any output shots?

At this time I'm not going to finish this retrofit..... the cost vs return doesn't calculate. For those with the time this retrofit can be done and hopefully the limited information I post might motivate you to build a set but a finished plug and play set would run $1600 plus once I have a finished bracket. Sorry guys I was hoping to have an option to offer.

Darn! Thanks for trying though. Would you recommend to use your H1 bracket as a base to retrofit a Mini H1 7.0? Also, did you revise your Hi-Lens LED mount at all?

At this time I'm not going to finish this retrofit..... the cost vs return doesn't calculate. For those with the time this retrofit can be done and hopefully the limited information I post might motivate you to build a set but a finished plug and play set would run $1600 plus once I have a finished bracket. Sorry guys I was hoping to have an option to offer.

Darn! Thanks for trying though. Would you recommend to use your H1 bracket as a base to retrofit a Mini H1 7.0? Also, did you revise your Hi-Lens LED mount at all?

I did hack up one of my brackets to mount the Mini H1 and I haven’t touch the light since I posted the pictures.
The Hi-Lens would be very easy to figure out.
Opening the lights and removing the OEM bracket was a total PITA.

What a bummer. The LX retrofit has totally changed my driving habits and how comfortable I am driving at night.

So did you ever actually finish? I know you aren't pursuing them from a business standpoint, but just wondering if you ran into any hard stops. I've done a retrofit in my 99 Tacoma (easy) and 17 Tacoma (PITA to get apart, simple RX housing bolt in). I'm looking at possibly picking up a GX in the near future, and after a proper HID Bi xenon retrofit... it is at the top of my priorities with a new rig.

Bi-Xenon is a must if I'm going in there. but I'm really wondering how those LED's worked IRL

So did you ever actually finish? I know you aren't pursuing them from a business standpoint, but just wondering if you ran into any hard stops. I've done a retrofit in my 99 Tacoma (easy) and 17 Tacoma (PITA to get apart, simple RX housing bolt in). I'm looking at possibly picking up a GX in the near future, and after a proper HID Bi xenon retrofit... it is at the top of my priorities with a new rig.

Bi-Xenon is a must if I'm going in there. but I'm really wondering how those LED's worked IRL

Never finished the GX retrofit but I'm running the LED High Lens as a DRL/High Beam in my LX and @jerryb came up a solution to run the Morimoto 2Stroke LED as a DRL/High Beam in 03-2007 LC and LX. Both are nice and give you a white DRL instead of the yellow color of the halogen and additional high beam for those running a Bi-Xenon in the Low beam location. There was a guy that posted pictures of nice bracket to run a quad setup in the GX and stated production was 3 weeks away.... that was in Jan. Never posted his finished lights, has 8 total post on Mud and went dark. My suggestion would be to buy a 100 or LX470 both are easy to retrofit.
The hard stops for me
1: Opening the lights (total frustration) I can open a LX Lens in less then 60 seconds once it's removed from the oven...More than 15 minutes to get into the GX..had to bake it twiice.
2: Removing the OEM bracket (total frustration)
3: The size of the light would make sealing them back up and a total PITA
4: Cost to make a bracket
5: Don't own a GX
6: Tossed the brand new GX Lens and hacked up housing in the trash

First picture is the 2 Stroke LED and other 3 are the LED HI-Lens

fullsizeoutput_24c9.jpeg

2jqGVcp6Sa6DPJqCRDp2Fg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_23ea.jpeg

VYc2+NfFTNmfxp85AN%K4Q.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. have you ever done a 3rd gen Tacoma retrofit? just curious as to the difficulty comparison. I got my 99 lights apart in about 90 seconds, the 17 took me over an hour with 4 different re-bakes and even then I jacked up the housing trying to pry it apart. That damn adhesive is insane.

when you say size of the light in regards to sealing them back up, do you mean the projector, or the actual housing? I'm confused.

anyways, the LX looks great. off to read those threads. THANKS!:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom