GX460 / Prado150 pic thread (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dude @Bang Bang that camper is cool. any more info on it? interior pics?

**edit : found a bunch of info online, but still interested in your opinion/pics if you have them

The back story is, I was using a RTT that I had won from CVT. Loved it but I would have never bought one due to prices on those things. But it was still a tent that wouldn't hold heat in the cold or cool down enough in the heat (I am not a "camping" kind of person......more of a glamping person...... :cool: ). I went with some friends in Feb to Kisatchie National Forest and froze my ass off because I didn't pay attention to the weather close enough and when I got home I told my wife I was getting rid of the tent and getting an off road trailer with at least a/c. Within a couple weeks I found 2 I was interested in. One was about 5 hours from me and the one I wanted (don't remember the brand) because it had a lot more add-ons but before I could set anything up she sold it. The InTech was about an hour from me. I knew nothing about them. They had this listed for almost 6 months. They dropped the price to half the retail price just as I was about to call and I scooped it immediately. It's a 2020 Chase model (the smallest they make) that had been used maybe 3 times (the tires still have the tits on them and there was not a scratch on it). Since I got it, I've added a 2" lift (go figure :geek:), the 100W solar to the roof (I have another 100W solar suitcase that I will be adding to the set up for when I'm parked in the shade.....it was just delivered yesterday), upgraded the battery to a deep cell AGM (may be upgrading again to LifePo), ARB awning with privacy room on passenger side and a 270* awning on the rear, rock / accent lights underneath and cube lights on the driver side (only side that didn't come with an LED light from the factory). I have plans for a few more mods but this thing performed flawlessly on my trip. Even with all my mods I am still WAY below what people are asking for these things. I truly don't know that you will find a better made unit.

When I got it:

IMG_3322 copy.jpg
IMG_3323 copy.jpg
IMG_3325 copy.jpg
IMG_3326 copy.jpg
IMG_3327 copy.jpg

@Bang Bang

ah man. thanks for the info. thing is killer! good to know that even the smallest model is so nice and comes with a lot of good features. i'm also more of a glamping guy haha. happy to get nasty during the day, but when i go to sleep i need my space and some AC.

i'm very jealous of the deal you got at half off! i'll have to keep my eyes peeled for some on the used market

thanks again

@Bang Bang

ah man. thanks for the info. thing is killer! good to know that even the smallest model is so nice and comes with a lot of good features. i'm also more of a glamping guy haha. happy to get nasty during the day, but when i go to sleep i need my space and some AC.

i'm very jealous of the deal you got at half off! i'll have to keep my eyes peeled for some on the used market

thanks again
I see them for sale now all the time. If I see a good deal I'll let you know.

Awesome adventures! THAT's what IT"S all about!!

Those pretty rims wouldn't last long on my rig with rocks and trail junk. But they sure look nice!

It's not much, but this is the first time I've driven up a hill like this. Excited to do more.

It's kind of funny how gnarly steep hills with a pucker factor, look so mundane when viewed on video.
But yeah, I can relate to how much fun it is going up, over and conquering a steep rise can be. Really makes you appreciate your GX!

The back story is, I was using a RTT that I had won from CVT. Loved it but I would have never bought one due to prices on those things. But it was still a tent that wouldn't hold heat in the cold or cool down enough in the heat (I am not a "camping" kind of person......more of a glamping person...... :cool: ). I went with some friends in Feb to Kisatchie National Forest and froze my ass off because I didn't pay attention to the weather close enough and when I got home I told my wife I was getting rid of the tent and getting an off road trailer with at least a/c. Within a couple weeks I found 2 I was interested in. One was about 5 hours from me and the one I wanted (don't remember the brand) because it had a lot more add-ons but before I could set anything up she sold it. The InTech was about an hour from me. I knew nothing about them. They had this listed for almost 6 months. They dropped the price to half the retail price just as I was about to call and I scooped it immediately. It's a 2020 Chase model (the smallest they make) that had been used maybe 3 times (the tires still have the tits on them and there was not a scratch on it). Since I got it, I've added a 2" lift (go figure :geek:), the 100W solar to the roof (I have another 100W solar suitcase that I will be adding to the set up for when I'm parked in the shade.....it was just delivered yesterday), upgraded the battery to a deep cell AGM (may be upgrading again to LifePo), ARB awning with privacy room on passenger side and a 270* awning on the rear, rock / accent lights underneath and cube lights on the driver side (only side that didn't come with an LED light from the factory). I have plans for a few more mods but this thing performed flawlessly on my trip. Even with all my mods I am still WAY below what people are asking for these things. I truly don't know that you will find a better made unit.
I really appreciate your experience in this realm. I have plans (not near future, house about to close.) for a build and I've been leaning towards RTT for a year or two now. They make some really nice hard shell tents that I've been considering, but like you mentioned the insulation is something I've been worried about given that we get all 4 seasons here plus elevation changes can be quite crazy depending on where we venture (i.e. sawtooth mountains, tetons, etc.).

I haven't done much research on these "off-road" type campers. They seem to have just recently been growing in popularity and availability? Is this true or is it one of those phenomenons where once you buy a vehicle you see them everywhere sort-of things.

Anyways, obviously need to research more but: just how capable will these be offroad? I'm not intending to take these on large MOAB runs or anything, but I feel like I should reasonably be able to get this down most fire access/BLM managed roads.

I am a HOT sleeper.. Might be worth considering purely for the A/C.

Anyways, obviously need to research more but: just how capable will these be offroad? I'm not intending to take these on large MOAB runs or anything, but I feel like I should reasonably be able to get this down most fire access/BLM managed roads.

I am a HOT sleeper.. Might be worth considering purely for the A/C.
These are as capable if not more so than 4Runners (we have V8's vs their 6 bangers). How far you push one of these is dependent upon your suspension lift, tire size, ability and pain threshold ($$$$) on dent repair.
Of the three overlanders I've built, my GX is by far the most capable (and comfortable) of any of them.
I have an iKamper hard shell RTT. My wife and I love it! Been in freezing weather and desert. Never been cold, not even a little. Never been too warm, there's plenty of windows with screens to leave open.
Look at my build and you'll see what I mean: R2M 2013 Lexus GX460 Overland Build

These are as capable if not more so than 4Runners (we have V8's vs their 6 bangers). How far you push one of these is dependent upon your suspension lift, tire size, ability and pain threshold ($$$$) on dent repair.
Of the three overlanders I've built, my GX is by far the most capable (and comfortable) of any of them.
I have an iKamper hard shell RTT. My wife and I love it! Been in freezing weather and desert. Never been cold, not even a little. Never been too warm, there's plenty of windows with screens to leave open.
Look at my build and you'll see what I mean: R2M 2013 Lexus GX460 Overland Build
I've seen your build thread, really love it! That's great to hear that the iKamper maintains a nice temp inside. I definitely haven't dipped down the RTT rabbit hole yet, but glad to know this!! Definitely feels like I'll need to be looking for something hard shell.

Also, I was questioning the off-road capabilities of the trailer.

Last edited:
I've seen your build thread, really love it! That's great to hear that the iKamper maintains a nice temp inside. I definitely haven't dipped down the RTT rabbit hole yet, but glad to know this!! Definitely feels like I'll need to be looking for something hard shell.
After all my research into RTT's, here is my quick and dirty take-away as to why we purchased the iKamper:
Pros (only regarding the iKamper):
  1. More aerodynamic
  2. Much quicker to set up. My wife and I time it at less than one minute.
  3. Much quicker to tear down. Again with us timing it, less than 3 minutes. These are real times with real people. Also we were NOT racing or rushing. Just a normal set up and tear down.
  4. A lot more insulated because of the very heavy fabric used on all the walls and hard shell on one side.
  5. Great in very windy climates. If possible have the hard shell side facing the oncoming wind. You won't get any fabric flapping and snapping all night, like you'll get with a soft top.
  6. Wall to wall mattress, but I think all RTT's have that.
Con's:
  1. Expensive.
  2. Heavy.
  3. No racks or rails on top of the hard shell for surfboards, bikes, etc. (Although I have an idea to fabricate some.)
  4. Because of the weight, it raises your CG (center of gravity) so one needs to be extra careful in off camber situations. e.g. don't lean too much.

Congrats! :cheers:
Welcome to the forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom