GX460 P2714 P0761 Ultimate Summary and Hope For A Fix Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update to my post: I've had the codes pop up a couple times while in Sport mode in the last week or so. Infrequent but it has happened twice now.
Probably not good…so sorry to hear that. I know some on here have gone 3 years in sport mode and going.

I did read if you get your rig in for the zip kit from Sonnex, solenoids and whatever the transmission shop suggest, it can save the whole thing. Too long with all the codes and degrading, likely a full replace.

I am looking into the next few months. Just have to find a good transmission shop.

Quick update!

I started this thread a few months ago after my own issues and now in winter (when it’s colder) I am seeing a lot more early 2010’s GX460s same issues reported.

Manual shift mode for the first 15 minutes on our rig has made it so there are zero issues.

After reading a gazillion more threads, posts, etc., I have come to agree it’s not just speed sensors, electrical connectors, etc. Likely a mix.

This is where I think there is more hope - Diagnosing Solenoid Performance Faults in A761, AB60 & A960 6-Speed Transmissions - https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/345-diagnosing-solenoid-performance-faults-in-a761-ab60-a960-6-speed-transmissions. I have seen this posted by Acrad prior too.

The issue is I cannot find on a forum where someone did the zip kit and end plug fix and reported back. I have seen two folks on the Lexus 460 community mention it.

I think this summer I’ll work with a few reputable transmission shops to see who can test the valve body, transmission, etc., and has the know how for the Sonnax parts. If they can do that, I may as well do that, some solenoids, speed sensors and shift improvement kit (valve body). Hoping somewhere around $1700-2500.

IF that doesn’t do it for this common issue, it’s sport mode for life. I don’t want to dump another or original $8k for the same issue in another 90k.

I’ll report back if I run through with it and would love any updates if other have.

Cheers!
Is there any way to get the bore plug they refer to? Or o-ring the existing one?

Update to my post: I've had the codes pop up a couple times while in Sport mode in the last week or so. Infrequent but it has happened twice now.
Same here. Just a few days ago I’ve been starting off in sport mode since mid January and had no issues but about 5 days ago had the codes pop up in sport mode as I was entering the interstate.

This was harrowing I had to go about 4 miles at 60mph where the average speed is about 80 mph and it wouldn’t allow me to manual shift into 5th or 6th. After I exited I came to a red light, shifted into park, back into sport mode and was able to shift manually into 5th and 6th. This is without even turning the truck off.

I have been driving all week with the codes still on because now even in drive it’s running though all the gears. I am still starting off in sport mode each day and shifting manually into 5th 6th for a few mins and then going into D. And after the first ride of the day I just am able to start the car and put it into D and go. All the gears work fine and shift fine but the dash is light a Christmas tree. I’ll probably clear the codes again this weekend but right now the truck is still driving fine and I couldn’t be bothered

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom