GX460 P2714 P0761 Ultimate Summary and Hope For A Fix Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I replaced the transmission speed sensors on mine and they did nothing to stop the codes. Sorry guys but I wouldn’t have much faith in that working.

Post 7 in this thread details my saga. Right now I’ve been doing the sport mode start off for first 10 mins of driving each day and haven’t had the codes since I started doing this about 4 weeks ago. This is the longest I have gone without the codes since I first got them about 10 weeks ago.

I replaced the transmission speed sensors on mine and they did nothing to stop the codes. Sorry guys but I wouldn’t have much faith in that working.

Post 7 in this thread details my saga. Right now I’ve been doing the sport mode start off for first 10 mins of driving each day and haven’t had the codes since I started doing this about 4 weeks ago. This is the longest I have gone without the codes since I first got them about 10 weeks ago.
Appreciate the info! Good to know the sport mode is saving you $7-8k!

Do you still have the permanent code stored after driving it in sport mode?

Another report from a person was a simple fix like the speed sensors, but more to your point on cleaning them, this user needed up unhooking elec connectors for the transmission, cleaning them and reconnecting. That would be awesome!

I would highly recommend removing connectors and cleaning with contact cleaner. It's amazing how often this can fix problems like this. It's almost free (cost of can of contact cleaner), it's almost effortless, and the potential reward is high. Do yourself a favor and try it.

I would highly recommend removing connectors and cleaning with contact cleaner. It's amazing how often this can fix problems like this. It's almost free (cost of can of contact cleaner), it's almost effortless, and the potential reward is high. Do yourself a favor and try it.
I second this. You would be surprised how replacing parts does not solve an issue and the actual issue is intermittent connectivity through pins in the connectors not retaining tension or just lost connectivity through the harness. I would power it all on and test voltage at the sensor pins and test retention with a similar thickness pin/piece of metal.

If new solenoids don't work and new sensor doesn't work I would definitely double check that harness connection. It might be as simple as re-wiring the connector or just cleaning that connection.

Reactions: r2m
Do you still have the permanent code stored after driving it in sport mode?
That’s a good question. I just went and checked and no codes since I least cleared them 4 weeks ago today. Car driven 7 days a week with 6-10 starts per day since then.

Prior to starting off in sport mode I would get the codes about once every 5-7 days after first start of the day when it would shift into 4th gear for the first time that day. My new routine is drive in sport mode and manual shift for about 3 miles and then put into D and drive in D for rest of trip. This is including shifting manually up all the way to 6th gear if I’m getting onto the highway during the first few miles. So it’s not limited in any way except you are shifting manually for a few mins.

That’s a good question. I just went and checked and no codes since I least cleared them 4 weeks ago today. Car driven 7 days a week with 6-10 starts per day since then.

Prior to starting off in sport mode I would get the codes about once every 5-7 days after first start of the day when it would shift into 4th gear for the first time that day. My new routine is drive in sport mode and manual shift for about 3 miles and then put into D and drive in D for rest of trip. This is including shifting manually up all the way to 6th gear if I’m getting onto the highway during the first few miles. So it’s not limited in any way except you are shifting manually for a few mins.
It's been 2 weeks since I started putting my IS 350 into Sport mode and no codes just like what you're experiencing. I am not sure how the GX 460 handles shifting in sport mode but I can put the shifter into "S", and then I get moving I set it to "4th gear or higher" and it'll shift through all the gears up until that gear I set it to. Basically just like drive. I am not manually shifting in this case and it has had no problems shifting on its own in "S" mode. The shift points don't feel any different than drive so I don't think there's any difference in hydraulic pressure but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Only ECT Power I believe changes shift points.

It's been 2 weeks since I started putting my IS 350 into Sport mode and no codes just like what you're experiencing. I am not sure how the GX 460 handles shifting in sport mode but I can put the shifter into "S", and then I get moving I set it to "4th gear or higher" and it'll shift through all the gears up until that gear I set it to. Basically just like drive. I am not manually shifting in this case and it has had no problems shifting on its own in "S" mode. The shift points don't feel any different than drive so I don't think there's any difference in hydraulic pressure but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Only ECT Power I believe changes shift points.
sorry, "before I get moving, I set it to "4th gear or higher"

Another data point: I have a 2010 460 Premium with 150k. Got P2714 around 140k but no negative effects to my shifting. It was a periodic thing and then became more common with the codes popping a couple times a week (both P2714 P0761 now). Still, even now, no discernible issues with shifting. Feels smooth. All the gears engage. I've been putting it in Sport and bumping it up to 6th and basically driving it like it's in D for a couple weeks. No codes while doing this.

I'd love to hear from people who have had a remanufactured transmission installed and driven a few thousand miles afterwards. Has it been trouble free afterwards?

Another data point: I have a 2010 460 Premium with 150k. Got P2714 around 140k but no negative effects to my shifting. It was a periodic thing and then became more common with the codes popping a couple times a week (both P2714 P0761 now). Still, even now, no discernible issues with shifting. Feels smooth. All the gears engage. I've been putting it in Sport and bumping it up to 6th and basically driving it like it's in D for a couple weeks. No codes while doing this.

I'd love to hear from people who have had a remanufactured transmission installed and driven a few thousand miles afterwards. Has it been trouble free afterwards?
That pattern is how our 2011 105k started. In CO, gets worse when colder. Usually ok or every so often after Spring.

I have a 2010 GX460 with 210,000. Driven for last 3 years and some 20k miles will both P2714 P0761 codes and lights flashing almost daily at the start. If I baby it for first few miles then it is fine and driven to West Texas a few times with no issues. I also used a FIXT scan gauge that connects to my phone and I would clear codes while driving. Then I lost reverse and it has been sitting for 6 months waiting for an affordable solution. While I like the vehicle it may be the financially worst vehicle I have ever purchased. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a 2010 GX460 with 210,000. Driven for last 3 years and some 20k miles will both P2714 P0761 codes and lights flashing almost daily at the start. If I baby it for first few miles then it is fine and driven to West Texas a few times with no issues. I also used a FIXT scan gauge that connects to my phone and I would clear codes while driving. Then I lost reverse and it has been sitting for 6 months waiting for an affordable solution. While I like the vehicle it may be the financially worst vehicle I have ever purchased. Any advice would be appreciated.
A few options:
  1. If you like it for it's amenities and features and you are prone to keep vehicles for a long time, you may want to invest in a new trans. A new trans could be the cause of the codes too, so dropping a trans my be the solution to all your problems. This is assuming there are no other issues, you should be able to get at least another 100,000 miles out of it.
  2. If you have space on your property and have the skills, you can part it out cash. Seats, steering wheel, glass, etc. could be worth a lot of money.
  3. If you don't have space and/or skills for dismantling, then there are companies out there that will pay you $$ to tow your vehicle away.

If I could go back to when I bought the truck at 100k I would have changed the fluid. But now I’ve read a few post from people who changed it at my mileage for the first time and then the transmission totally dumped after so I’m hesitant.
I wouldn't be afraid to change that fluid. But perform a full exchange and not just a drain and fill otherwise it's just a long cycle of slow dilution. That's still quite low miles.

I just changed the fluid and filter for what I think was the first time at 250k miles. Been over a month now with no issues to report, shifts very smooth.
It didn't shift bad before and I may be biased but I think it is smoother now.
Fluid was dark brown, seemed thicker, but no smell such as being burned.

I'd do a hard pass on that one unless the seller cuts you enough of a deal that you can afford a new Toyota/Lexus reman transmission that is replaced at the dealer. I'm guessing the all-in cost for that is around $5-6K plus.

Regardless of if the speed sensor corrects the issue, you're still stuck with a trans that had some nasty fluid in it very recently. The damage may have already been done.
Won't nearly all be like this from normal driving, unless owners go above recommended maintenance and change it? I would not have hesitated because of that.
And the dealer saying dark is subjective, it could look like that at 60k miles. Nasty fluid may be an over-statement unless you smelled it and it was completely cooked.

Won't nearly all be like this from normal driving, unless owners go above recommended maintenance and change it? I would not have hesitated because of that.
And the dealer saying dark is subjective, it could look like that at 60k miles. Nasty fluid may be an over-statement unless you smelled it and it was completely cooked.
You are free to purchase that GX in case the poster passed and it's still for sale :). Per the service history it had trans codes, very dark fluid, and a note that a fluid replacement was performed and it still needed a new trans. Whatever repairs were done were not done by a dealer. Not something I would buy.

This was fluid on my ‘12 @ 55k miles back in ‘19… initial drain of many was actually just shy of 3 quarts. IIRC I was measuring out the drain as reason why it only shows about a quart here. Prior to my external AT cooler as well.

IMG_2072.jpeg
IMG_2073.jpeg
IMG_2074.jpeg
IMG_2075.jpeg

Quick update!

I started this thread a few months ago after my own issues and now in winter (when it’s colder) I am seeing a lot more early 2010’s GX460s same issues reported.

Manual shift mode for the first 15 minutes on our rig has made it so there are zero issues.

After reading a gazillion more threads, posts, etc., I have come to agree it’s not just speed sensors, electrical connectors, etc. Likely a mix.

This is where I think there is more hope - Diagnosing Solenoid Performance Faults in A761, AB60 & A960 6-Speed Transmissions - https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/345-diagnosing-solenoid-performance-faults-in-a761-ab60-a960-6-speed-transmissions. I have seen this posted by Acrad prior too.

The issue is I cannot find on a forum where someone did the zip kit and end plug fix and reported back. I have seen two folks on the Lexus 460 community mention it.

I think this summer I’ll work with a few reputable transmission shops to see who can test the valve body, transmission, etc., and has the know how for the Sonnax parts. If they can do that, I may as well do that, some solenoids, speed sensors and shift improvement kit (valve body). Hoping somewhere around $1700-2500.

IF that doesn’t do it for this common issue, it’s sport mode for life. I don’t want to dump another or original $8k for the same issue in another 90k.

I’ll report back if I run through with it and would love any updates if other have.

Cheers!

Update to my post: I've had the codes pop up a couple times while in Sport mode in the last week or so. Infrequent but it has happened twice now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom