Guess that engine, Carb and Dizzy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I was hoping to get some input from the gurus on the engine, carb and dizzy in my new pig. All I have is this one image at this point, but I think it's pretty revealing, at least it should be for many of you. I'm just thread diving at this point.

Engine - from what I've read I'm guessing this is maybe a post 71 F155? Top oil filler, no filler on left of engine? Any thoughts? What's up with the new school oil filter facing that direction? Haven't seen that on any pics online.

Carb - I have no clue. I'm super new to this but it doesnt look like th Aisin or a Weber, but what do I know? I've searched for all sorts of images and carbs on Fj40's and 55s but haven't seen anything that looks like this. I'm also not seeing a vaccum connection on there. Pighead pointed this out on my intro post, but maybe you just can't see it from this angle? There appears to be no vaccuum line to the dizzy...

Dizzy - which leads to this. I'm no expert but it looks to me like the 1924236 D9 Gm Delco from the "Mystery 1976 Distribuor" thread Mystery 1976 distributor..? I'm told I should throw this in my neighbor's yard, correct? It would look good next to his Hyundai 4 door hatch $*&tbox.

So I ask all of this because I'm trying to get a plan together once this thing gets here. I know it runs good already, but I'd like to get that distrubutor repalced asap and I'm thinking it's gonna mean a carb, or at least a rebuild/modification if it has no vaccuum. (Is that even a thing?) Ideas welcome! See anything else, let me know! Only thing to keep in mind is I'm at almost 6000ft elevation daily and do have some sub 30 degree winter mornings.

So, thanks in advance for any help you guys throw at me.
piggy4.JPG

carb isnt oem. looks like a rochester.
dissy looks oe, but i cant see the advancer, if there is one.
best way to tell the engine, is look up the serial number, all other accessories can be replaced making one look newer/older than it really is.

Hey everyone,

I was hoping to get some input from the gurus on the engine, carb and dizzy in my new pig. All I have is this one image at this point, but I think it's pretty revealing, at least it should be for many of you. I'm just thread diving at this point.

Engine - from what I've read I'm guessing this is maybe a post 71 F155? Top oil filler, no filler on left of engine? Any thoughts? What's up with the new school oil filter facing that direction? Haven't seen that on any pics online.

Carb - I have no clue. I'm super new to this but it doesnt look like th Aisin or a Weber, but what do I know? I've searched for all sorts of images and carbs on Fj40's and 55s but haven't seen anything that looks like this. I'm also not seeing a vaccum connection on there. Pighead pointed this out on my intro post, but maybe you just can't see it from this angle? There appears to be no vaccuum line to the dizzy...

Dizzy - which leads to this. I'm no expert but it looks to me like the 1924236 D9 Gm Delco from the "Mystery 1976 Distribuor" thread Mystery 1976 distributor..? I'm told I should throw this in my neighbor's yard, correct? It would look good next to his Hyundai 4 door hatch $*&tbox.

So I ask all of this because I'm trying to get a plan together once this thing gets here. I know it runs good already, but I'd like to get that distrubutor repalced asap and I'm thinking it's gonna mean a carb, or at least a rebuild/modification if it has no vaccuum. (Is that even a thing?) Ideas welcome! See anything else, let me know! Only thing to keep in mind is I'm at almost 6000ft elevation daily and do have some sub 30 degree winter mornings.

So, thanks in advance for any help you guys throw at me.View attachment 2406831
Just to be clear, I don't have the truck and won't for another 10 days. Shipping from across the country

the dizzy could be a vacumn retard,

that is an interesting air cleaner assembly

the dizzy could be a vacumn retard,

that is an interesting air cleaner assembly
Power steering was added, so I think that has something to do with it. The PO was a Toyota delaership owner and he had everything done at his dealership shop. In the pics I have (won't have the truck for another week or so) I think I see the factory air cleaner in a crate in the back of the truck. My goal was to get rid of the points, and that meant vaccuum assist dist., which meant carb with vacuum, and I don't think I have any of that. From what I know and have seen on videos, it runs great, so I'll probably run it for a while and see how it is, but evetually I want to go that route. anyway, thx for the reply

The PO was a Toyota delaership owner and he had everything done at his dealership shop.

I don't buy that at all, if that setup came out of a dealership, I wouldn't bring anything there to be worked on.

I don't buy that at all, if that setup came out of a dealership, I wouldn't bring anything there to be worked on.
Hah. Hey, buy what you want. The truck is def out of the dealer owner's personal collection and lived in essentially a musuem for the last 10 plus years at the dealer. The wire to him sure went through!

I hear ya on the setup and the dealer shop though, which is why I'm changing it asap. Found out today the Aisin and NippoDesno are in a bin in the back and need to be rebuilt, so I'm guessing they just threw this mess on there to keep in running and didn't want to do that in house. It's a little wet by the oil pan too, which isn't ideal considering. This was not driven regularly so clearly is gonna need some sorting. The dealer has a good rep, so does the seller but in the end, who goes to the dealer for service anyway....but thanks for the helpful post😂

Ha Ha, that a serious hack on the air cleaner!:rofl: I actually laughed out loud. I agree that the carb looks like a Rochester. I have the old 2-jet which came on my '74 still sitting in my garage, so I can do a quick comparison. When I swapped it out for a rebuilt non-US Aisin carb, it was an amazing upgrade to the truck. My quick .02 would be to just plan on replacing the carb and dissy, with an Aisin carb and appropriate Denso distributor. Lots of various options out there. Look at the offerings from City Racer as a good starting point. Oh yeah, and find the bottom canister for that air cleaner!

BTW, nice pig! That's a super clean engine bay and a great starting point.

Ha Ha, that a serious hack on the air cleaner!:rofl: I actually laughed out loud. I agree that the carb looks like a Rochester. I have the old 2-jet which came on my '74 still sitting in my garage, so I can do a quick comparison. When I swapped it out for a rebuilt non-US Aisin carb, it was an amazing upgrade to the truck. My quick .02 would be to just plan on replacing the carb and dissy, with an Aisin carb and appropriate Denso distributor. Lots of various options out there. Look at the offerings from City Racer as a good starting point. Oh yeah, and find the bottom canister for that air cleaner!
Thanks for the advice. I believe the bottom of the air canister is in the parts box too. I was planning to do exactly what you said, especially knowing I have a stock Aisin for exchange. 👍

Smells to me like the old school MAF Rochester Carb and Delco Dizzy. Major problems with both, but I won't keep beating that dead horse.

Ok, Delco dizzy is mechanical advance only, gives 20 to 25 degrees advance when your engine demands 40 degrees on a hard acceleration. Plus Delco dizzy probably still has the Delco drive gear, same number of teeth, but on a different phase angle, cam wants to kick that dizzy out of the engine. Top of Rochester float bowl is open to the atmosphere, sand/snow/mud/anything can drop directly down into the float bowl without going through the air cleaner- - -not an off road carb at all.

Last edited:
F155 makes it 72 thru 74. Remote oil filter makes it older than 74. Air cleaner housing has the air pump port, which started back up in ‘73. So there are 3 indicators consistent with 1973.

F155 makes it 72 thru 74. Remote oil filter makes it older than 74. Air cleaner housing has the air pump port, which started back up in ‘73. So there are 3 indicators consistent with 1973.
Awesome info there! Super helpful! Fingered some version off 155, but like I said, I'm new to these! Thanks a bunch

Ok, Delco dizzy is mechanical advance only, gives 20 to 25 degrees advance when your engine demands 40 degrees on a hard acceleration. Plus Delco dizzy probably still has the Delco drive gear, same number of teeth, button a different phase angle, cam wants to kick that dizzy out of the engine. Top of Rochester float bowl is open to the atmosphere, sand/snow/mud/anything can drop directly down into the float bowl without going through the air cleaner- - -not an off road carb at all.
So into the neighbor's yard they go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom