GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine dropped back to wired... and occasionally a blacked-out screen. The newest firmware won't install. GROM tech said to pull the power cable from the unit... you know, the unit that's installed behind the dash. I think pulling a fuse will do same thing - a hard reset... I'll post an update.

Update: ^That^ worked. The issue I was having was with the Bluetooth - it would no longer recognize or pair with my phone. Then, plugging the flash drive into the port in the dash wasn't loading the updated firmware that would (hopefully) fix the issues. But pulling the fuse - GROM tech's recommendation - was the kick in the ass it needed to digest the update.

Right back to 2022 kinda tech (wireless CarPlay)
IMG_0513.jpeg

It is funny... When the wired CarPlay (pre-wireless version) GROM was installed, I felt like my antiquated 2006 was just dragged 15 years into the future. It was awesome. Then, wireless... and it was better. I got used to it... spoiled even. Then the wireless went away... and I felt like my 70" 4K TV was replaced with a 19" SD console TV. Yeah. Spoiled. But she's back. Thanks GROM.

Last edited:
Mine dropped back to wired... and occasionally a blacked-out screen. The newest firmware won't install. GROM tech said to pull the power cable from the unit... you know, the unit that's installed behind the dash. I think pulling a fuse will do same thing - a hard reset... I'll post an update.

Update: ^That^ worked. The issue I was having was with the Bluetooth - it would no longer recognize or pair with my phone. Then, plugging the flash drive into the port in the dash wasn't loading the updated firmware that would (hopefully) fix the issues. But pulling the fuse - GROM tech's recommendation - was the kick in the ass it needed to digest the update.

Right back to 2022 kinda tech (wireless CarPlay)
View attachment 2637977

It is funny... When the wired CarPlay (pre-wireless version) GROM was installed, I felt like my antiquated 2006 was just dragged 15 years into the future. It was awesome. Then, wireless... and it was better. I got used to it... spoiled even. Then the wireless went away... and I felt like my 70" 4K TV was replaced with a 19" SD console TV. Yeah. Spoiled. But she's back. Thanks GROM.
I’m on team BT TOY for the simplicity but that photo makes me interested in the GROM unit for CarPlay. But don’t you have to open the android screen and then select CarPlay? Or can you default to CarPlay?

GROM has nailed simple. This is the startup of the system - from ignition ON to apps. Wireless and touchless.

Sometimes, the old Toyota nav caution prompt - "I Agree" page/button - pops up. That might be 1/2 the time? Then I click Agree on the screen, then Audio on the left side - the physical button, then the app page appears. So, still no other menus.

GROM has nailed simple. This is the startup of the system - from ignition ON to apps. Wireless and touchless.

Sometimes, the old Toyota nav caution prompt - "I Agree" page/button - pops up. That might be 1/2 the time? Then I click Agree on the screen, then Audio on the left side - the physical button, then the app page appears. So, still no other menus.

Wow, pretty smooth animation on start up too. Thanks for the video. I thought I would have to select it from one of the sources every time.

I just received my GROM and after seeing this video I'm very excited and anxious to get it installed.

I think the biggest choke point for the GROM is the 100's antiquated touchscreen. But really - it such a vast improvement over the CD/Cassette/Radio crap that Toyota spec'ed.

Can you use the FM radio and CarPlay at the same time? I would like to be able to show the carplay for my directions and then have the FM radio playing.

Can you use the FM radio and CarPlay at the same time? I would like to be able to show the carplay for my directions and then have the FM radio playing.

In my experience, no.

FM... FM... Oh yeah - radio right? Like, with commercials, static, DJs and stuff? I remember those from when I was in college.

Kidding... mostly ;)

FM... FM... Oh yeah - radio right? Like, with commercials, static, DJs and stuff? I remember those from when I was in college.

Kidding... mostly ;)
Hahaha yeah good ole FM radio. Sometimes I just like to surf what the local stations are playing. Also good for catching the Flyers games when driving.

But yeah, that's what I thought since it uses the CD source to show the video. I'll have to notice while I'm driving that I use the FM radio and directions on my phone.

Thanks for answering my questions Manhattan and @jLB. I'll have to keep an eye out for any sales on the VLine. Maybe I'll make the switch. Sounds like the second version is much faster and reliable. I do like using my wifes car for the CarPlay. Also the Airplay feature is nice... would be good for streaming those Flyers games... while parked of course.

@Red Beard I have a Steelers (sorry, not an Eagles fan) channel saved on the system. It is SO nice on those long Sunday road trips to catch a Steelers game wherever I am.

Hahaha yeah good ole FM radio. Sometimes I just like to surf what the local stations are playing. Also good for catching the Flyers games when driving.

But yeah, that's what I thought since it uses the CD source to show the video. I'll have to notice while I'm driving that I use the FM radio and directions on my phone.

Thanks for answering my questions Manhattan and @jLB. I'll have to keep an eye out for any sales on the VLine. Maybe I'll make the switch. Sounds like the second version is much faster and reliable. I do like using my wifes car for the CarPlay. Also the Airplay feature is nice... would be good for streaming those Flyers games... while parked of course.
Then again, just about anything that you’d want to listen to on FM, is able to be streamed to a phone. If you can stream it to a phone, you can find a way to play it on the VLine. (For instance, I’ve listened to my nephew’s college lacrosse games from halfway across the country.)

iheartradio.com and radio.com have many radio stations you can stream

Have they worked all the kinks out of the software? Any downsides (besides the stock screen resolution).

Seems like a cheaper alternative to the NAV delete for 04-07 owners.

Have they worked all the kinks out of the software? Any downsides (besides the stock screen resolution).

Seems like a cheaper alternative to the NAV delete for 04-07 owners.

I wouldn't say "all", but they've addressed the ones that really annoyed me. The screen resolution is probably my biggest complaint at this point, but it is what it is.

VL1 early adopter. VL1 was acting up lately so I checked for an update and clicked yes. Vline is now non-responsive, no back up cam, no nav, it somehow changed my MFC language from English to French. WTF? Ive reached out to Grom, but wondered if @jLB might have any thoughts? S' il vous plait

VL1 early adopter. VL1 was acting up lately so I checked for an update and clicked yes. Vline is now non-responsive, no back up cam, no nav, it somehow changed my MFC language from English to French. WTF? Ive reached out to Grom, but wondered if @jLB might have any thoughts? S' il vous plait
je ne parle pas français!

I'd suspect figuring out switching the MFD between English and French shouldn't be too hard.

From past experience, I suspect that you'll need to get an image file from Grom, to do a recovery, via USB or SD-card.

je ne parle pas français!

I'd suspect figuring out switching the MFD between English and French shouldn't be too hard.

From past experience, I suspect that you'll need to get an image file from Grom, to do a recovery, via USB or SD-card.
Lol - Merci mon ami.

Fwiw when I choose language in the MFD and select English the screen goes dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom