GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
very cool stuff coming soon to let us use the existing nav screen with on-screen display integration with google maps, apple car-play, etc. if anyone is w/n 50 miles of Belmont, Ca they are looking for Beta testers right now. any Mud'ers in the area willing to go be testers i'm sure others would love to get feedback on your experience. plus they're giving a discount to beta's.

VLINE Next generation Infotainment Center for Lexus/Toyota - Beta-test sign up

I'd love to update a 15 year old system. Maybe they need some betas in the Midwest.

Now THIS looks promising!

Only works for 2003 and up. They have no plans for the earlier models (which arguably could use it more!)

The explanation is the lower res display...

2004 and up

GROM said 03 not eligible :(

2004 and up

GROM said 03 not eligible :(
Doesn't make sense - t's the same nav system in the 2003 and up. I suspect they simply don't know that 03 was the cut-off instead of 04.

Only works for 2003 and up. They have no plans for the earlier models (which arguably could use it more!)

The explanation is the lower res display...

But with the pre-2003 you have a lot of aftermarket options because you don't have the HAVC control issues.
Either way, I'm subscribed. I was following the other thread on the Android unit from China. Too bad that doesn't look like it is going to work out well.

But with the pre-2003 you have a lot of aftermarket options because you don't have the HAVC control issues.
Either way, I'm subscribed. I was following the other thread on the Android unit from China. Too bad that doesn't look like it is going to work out well.

The HVAC is built into the pre 2003 as well. They have the same issues.

I'd love to update a 15 year old system. Maybe they need some betas in the Midwest.

unfortunately have to be w/n 50 miles of their facility in the bay area. i am in texas and they turned me down saying they needed to be able to do diagnostic work on it periodically and to tweak it if there are issues that come up. since it isn't a 100 series specific deal, i suspect they'll find enough people. it works on a bunch of toyota/lex vehicles.

on the other thread about the android unit, someone was complaining about having to buy the data, but it looks like that is optional and the unit can run off your phone's data plan.

*GSM WiFi modem sold separately*

A lot of them didn't have the factory nav which was a more common thing on those years. A non-nav 2003+ is very rare in the US market.

Ok thanks for the clarification. So factory nav in those early options cause the same issues with climate control, just a lot more non navs out there. I have a 2003 and would love to see something work out with one of these options. I have swapped out speakers so far, but my next options was going to place a head unit in the center console that is Sirius and Android/Apple capable and run a new amp and speaker wire while leaving everything else in place. Sure, would like a more integrated approach.

Doesn't make sense - t's the same nav system in the 2003 and up. I suspect they simply don't know that 03 was the cut-off instead of 04.

2002 and 2003 were the same generation of nav but the screens were obviously different. I've wondered if you can't swap in the later drive under the passenger seat with that of an 04-05 and do it. I believe the MFD was the same

Anyone in the Belmont, Ca area? Wish I could be a tester.

image.png

Asked From about the 03

"It is older Generation Navigation stereo that we cannot interface easily with Plug and Play Harness like year 2004+ Model vehicles
Also the Older Generation Navigation Display is very Low resolution and will not Display Rich Graphic user experience for Android or Apple Carplay."

well, I just emailed GROM (even though I have an '03) maybe they'll let me play Beta, for $199 installed that would be a sweet deal.

knucklehead question: anyone know what's involved in *upgrading* the [low-res] 2003 Nav display for a [higher-res] 2004+? other than the screen itself, I'm guessing a different video driver board, PROM etc. Probably too challenging to consider...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom