Grab Assist Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grab Handle Summary

Below I’m trying to summarize the body of knowledge for the grab handles in US 60’s and 62’s. The majority of the info comes from this thread, with a little gained from other threads and mine/others’ experiences. My hope is that this summary becomes an easy one-stop guide for novice grab handle aficionado’s. I commit to keeping this summary up-to-date with whatever corrections or additional input that any of you provide. Send your production month/year and I will include in the summary. Thanks, RJ

** US-Spec Vehicles Only **

A-Pillar Grab Handle
FJ60 – No handles or mounting holes, driver or passenger side
FJ62 – Driver side handle provided; mounting holes only on passenger side, sometimes just a hole in the pillar inner wall sheet metal, and sometimes threaded (weldnutted)

Above Driver Door Grab Handle
FJ60 and FJ62– No handles provided; threaded (weldnutted) mounting holes are behind the headliner

B-Pillar Grab Handle
FJ60 – No handles provided; threaded (weldnutted) mounting holes are behind the headliner on both driver and passenger side
FJ62 – Some have handles but most seem to not; threaded (weldnutted) mounting holes are behind the headliner on both driver and passenger side
To add to the confusion or reduce the apparent order of things, the front or a-pillar grab handles will fit in the back on the b-pillars and look nice and work quite well, also some 80 series pillar handles have the same center to center screw hole spacing, but I haven't tried the fit.

Holy thread revival Batman!

IMG_5277.JPG

I’m late to the conversation, but here goes anyways, hopefully somebody can answer the following question. My passenger A-pillar holes are not threaded. I have an 89’ FJ 62. Any suggestions?

^^^ i used the rivet nuts and it worked out fine. please see my posts at the beginning of the thread.

Another vote for rivet-nuts. I used steel ones and was careful that they were correct for the thickness of the “A” pilar. I wish I wrote down or remembered what the thickness was, but I didn’t.

It takes a little practice to get the hang of compressing rivnuts correctly. Try to find a piece of scrap sheet metal the same thickness and have at it.

Another vote for rivet-nuts. I used steel ones and was careful that they were correct for the thickness of the “A” pilar. I wish I wrote down or remembered what the thickness was, but I didn’t.

It takes a little practice to get the hang of compressing rivnuts correctly. Try to find a piece of scrap sheet metal the same thickness and have at it.
I got er’ done! Thanks!! I had to drill a slightly bigger hole for the m6 rivnuts! Easy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom