Grab Assist Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

are their holes in the A pillar in a 60 for a grab bar? I have the one above the drivers side installed- still need to put passenger B pillar on, I got a used set off ebay.

How easy would this be for a guy with a 62? I'm interested mainly in the passenger side A pillar grab handle. Does the 62 already have holes in the A pillar or would I have to drill those myself and screw it in?

P.S., Sorry, I realize this is an old thread, but I figured it's better than starting a new one

How easy would this be for a guy with a 62? I'm interested mainly in the passenger side A pillar grab handle. Does the 62 already have holes in the A pillar or would I have to drill those myself and screw it in?

P.S., Sorry, I realize this is an old thread, but I figured it's better than starting a new one

The parts microfiche shows the A pillar grab handle as a valid part for all the FJ62's. So that would make me conclude that the threaded holes are there. However, the parts microfiche shows a quantity of (1) required, showing it on what is the drivers side, but in the picture it shows a right-hand-drive vehicle. If I were going to guess, it would be that the holes are there and on both sides. But it would be best to hear from someone that actually owns an FJ62.
FJ62 grab handles.JPG

The parts microfiche shows the A pillar grab handle as a valid part for all the FJ62's. So that would make me conclude that the threaded holes are there. However, the parts microfiche shows a quantity of (1) required, showing it on what is the drivers side, but in the picture it shows a right-hand-drive vehicle. If I were going to guess, it would be that the holes are there and on both sides. But it would be best to hear from someone that actually owns an FJ62.

I have an a piller grab handle on both a pillars attached to nutserts that were there when I bought the truck, hidden by the headliner. I was able to find them using a small pin. The pin allowed me to search for the threads of the nutsert before I commited by cutting a hole in the headliner.

How much is it for one A or B pillar handle bought new from a dealer?

Last edited:
2mbb it the grip assy, assist, F on the first pic for the "A" pillars ?

mbb, can you see if the microfiche shows any grab handles in the back cargo area? I suspect there are some nut-serts back there somewhere that would be used for trucks that got the 3rd row seats.

I checked the microfiche for countries that have the third row seats as an option and there are no other grab handles that what is shown in post 23. The only one in the back is on the rear hatch.

I checked the microfiche for countries that have the third row seats as an option and there are no other grab handles that what is shown in post 23. The only one in the back is on the rear hatch.

Interesting. Thanks for looking.

I just purchased a used A-Pillar grab bar for my 89 FJ62. While there are holes on the passenger side under the headliner they do not seem to be backed with "nut-serts." Has anyone found the solution to this issue other than drilling new holes in the pillar?

I appreciate any help!!
Thanks
Kenley

I just purchased a used A-Pillar grab bar for my 89 FJ62. While there are holes on the passenger side under the headliner they do not seem to be backed with "nut-serts." Has anyone found the solution to this issue other than drilling new holes in the pillar?

I appreciate any help!!
Thanks
Kenley

There exists a tool that will install a nut sert using a rivet gun type tool. That's all I got for you... I'm posting from my iPhone so I ain't gonna link it for you. Maybe somebody else can jump in there.

If the holes are there they should be threaded, no ?
Maybe you have alredy but try putting in a 10mm screw into it...

My 85 did not have any holes so I had to drill some and use nutserts...

I placed mine waaaay high tho'... on both sides they are at the very top of the pilar and make getting in and out a breeze....

Euclid-

iPhone only access?....does this mean you're in h-town? I thought you were waaay beyond grab handles as a legit mod!:p Haa!

Anyway, as for fj62's, not all the factory grab handle holes have threads in them. Mine didnt, just empty holes under the fabric. Like euclid said, the nutsert tool works like a pop rivet tool but it leaves behind a captured threaded fitting. I bought one for this purpose only, forgot where I got it, wasn't too $$.

You will need a screw that will fit the nutsert fitting, the factory screw will be too big....and don't use the cheapy aluminum nutserts, find the steel ones. Also, practice using the nutserts on something else before crimping one into your pillar. Trust me.

Good info, I thought the a-pillar handles would also fit the b-pillar, gotta get a couple different ones now.

skniper
(euclid, I rode shotgun with you at K-rocks in '08)

so a picture of the tool is shown in post #1 of the tool. I got mine at McMaster-Carr but I think that harbor freight sell's them too. If you search at mcmaster carr you will also find ones that install like a dry wall anchor using a screwdriver. The trick will be finding one that will fit the hole that's there, or you may have to drill out the hole to make room for the rivet nut.

I appreciate any help!!
Thanks
Kenley

I did this mod on my 62, the holes were threaded on mine (1988, no power options). As suggested by others I felt for the holes through the liner, punched a hole, and the stock screws went right in.

Not that this is new, but I just did it on my '89 62 and I had the holes but no threads. I used these 'blind nuts' that you slide in, and they have a rivit type squeeze handle that you use to crush them into place. Worked like a charm!

i've got a '90 fj62 and am about to tackle this one -- i've got an a-pillar ready to install. so which option should i go with if i have non-threaded holes? it looks like intense1's "blind nuts" with the rivet type squeeze handle or 2mbb's 1/4" x 20tpi nut rivets.

which one do y'all recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom