Grab Assist Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For what it's worth: I added 2 grab handles to my FJ60 A pillars using self tapping screws (after marking, punching out a hole in the vinyl and drilling a tiny pilot hole). They held for 8 years or so hauling my 200+ pound self in and out of the truck. i think the handles came from a Montero at the pick n pull...

I'd like to do the nutserts but this works just fine.

Working on the A-Pilars this weekend... What size drill bit to use for 1/4' x 20tpi Nut Rivets?

The hole needs to be just big enough for the barrel of the nu rivet to fit through. The specific size will probably depend on your brand and the strenght (light duty vs. heavy duty.

Working on the A-Pilars this weekend... What size drill bit to use for 1/4' x 20tpi Nut Rivets?

I used the stock screws and this from the Home Depot. No play and it's very sturdy.

I still have it and can send it to anyone for free (in the spirit of paying it forward).

image-2671717662.jpg

The hole needs to be just big enough for the barrel of the nu rivet to fit through. The specific size will probably depend on your brand and the strenght (light duty vs. heavy duty.

I used the stock screws and this from the Home Depot. No play and it's very sturdy.

I still have it and can send it to anyone for free (in the spirit of paying it forward).

image-2252410173.jpg

On the A-pillar handle for the 60, when you guys were drilling the holes, did you have any problems with the trim fabric (pillar headliner) being grabbed and spun by the drill bit, ripping the whole fabric/foam backing apart? Nobody mentioned it and it looks like a lot of you did the drilling. I'm just checking because it's one of those "instant destruction" events from which there is no return.

Thanks, RJ

Indeed. SOA + No Sliders = Grab Handles. I originally ordered these for my dash (glove box) but did not work for that so I used them in the A pillar. They are Rugged Ridge 20" handles and put them in with my nut sert tool. Work well and look beefy. Finally got me an aussie bar and now the interior looks like a roller coaster ride.

A-pillar handles look great! Do you have a part number for the handles? I can't find on Rugged Ridge's site. It's the RUGGEDRIDGE.COM Jeep people, right?

Thanks, RJ

I used a leather punch - one of those things to make holes in belts and such - to make a hole in the fabric before drilling.

On the A-pillar handle for the 60, when you guys were drilling the holes, did you have any problems with the trim fabric (pillar headliner) being grabbed and spun by the drill bit, ripping the whole fabric/foam backing apart? Nobody mentioned it and it looks like a lot of you did the drilling. I'm just checking because it's one of those "instant destruction" events from which there is no return.

Thanks, RJ

I used a leather punch - one of those things to make holes in belts and such - to make a hole in the fabric before drilling.

Thanks, good idea! Did you get the sense the drill bit would have grabbed the fabric? From some of the pics I saw in the thread, doesn't look like everyone cut a clearance hole.

Indeed. SOA + No Sliders = Grab Handles. I originally ordered these for my dash (glove box) but did not work for that so I used them in the A pillar. They are Rugged Ridge 20" handles and put them in with my nut sert tool. Work well and look beefy. Finally got me an aussie bar and now the interior looks like a roller coaster ride.

I got the stock grab assist from Toyota, but if I did not have them I think these would be the ticket...
I like the look !!!

:beer::beer:

On the A-pillar handle for the 60, when you guys were drilling the holes, did you have any problems with the trim fabric (pillar headliner) being grabbed and spun by the drill bit, ripping the whole fabric/foam backing apart? Nobody mentioned it and it looks like a lot of you did the drilling. I'm just checking because it's one of those "instant destruction" events from which there is no return. Thanks, RJ

I just made a little hole with a knife and expanded with a screwdriver. No big deal.

I got some all the handles out of a BJ60 and I'm gonna install one above the passenger door. I kinda like the idea of the front pillars, but I think it would be to many. I'd like to get my hands on one for around the glove box though as my wife wants some help getting in the rig.

-Daniel Kent

Grab Handle Summary

Below I’m trying to summarize the body of knowledge for the grab handles in US 60’s and 62’s. The majority of the info comes from this thread, with a little gained from other threads and mine/others’ experiences. My hope is that this summary becomes an easy one-stop guide for novice grab handle aficionado’s. I commit to keeping this summary up-to-date with whatever corrections or additional input that any of you provide. Send your production month/year and I will include in the summary. Thanks, RJ

** US-Spec Vehicles Only **

A-Pillar Grab Handle
FJ60 – No handles or mounting holes, driver or passenger side
FJ62 – Driver side handle provided; mounting holes only on passenger side, sometimes just a hole in the pillar inner wall sheet metal, and sometimes threaded (weldnutted)

Above Driver Door Grab Handle
FJ60 and FJ62– No handles provided; threaded (weldnutted) mounting holes are behind the headliner

B-Pillar Grab Handle
FJ60 – No handles provided; threaded (weldnutted) mounting holes are behind the headliner on both driver and passenger side
FJ62 – Some have handles but most seem to not; threaded (weldnutted) mounting holes are behind the headliner on both driver and passenger side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom