Grab Assist Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

also, my friendly, local autozone guy said they rent a tool that threads metal -- for just this purpose.

I guess I am the resurrector of old threads this week. So I blindly punched through my headliner and I have the holes but no threads dilemma.

What is the easiest and cheapest way to screw on the stock A-Pillar handle with the factory screws?

Thanks

I guess I am the resurrector of old threads this week. So I blindly punched through my headliner and I have the holes but no threads dilemma.

What is the easiest and cheapest way to screw on the stock A-Pillar handle with the factory screws?

Thanks

Must not be able to do this or someone would have suggested it...but why can't you tap/thread the hole ??

John

Thanks

What year is your vehicle? can you maybe post up pictures of where the holes are at? I can find the holes on mine(rimshot) :flipoff2:

Pillars are hollow and thin metal sheet. Best and cheapest way is the way 2mbb shows it..
Nutserts or nut rivets!!!

I think everyone should have a tool like this... they are great little gadgets to have !!!

What year is your vehicle? can you maybe post up pictures of where the holes are at? I can find the holes on mine(rimshot) :flipoff2:

Mine is an '89 FJ62. if you feel around the A-pillar in the same area as on the other side you will find them. The upper one is right below the seam in the headliner fabric. It helps if you take the handle and hold it up as a template once you find the upper one the lower one becomes obvious. Don't worry it's easier than it sounds.

Last edited:
I just installed the grab assist in the rear B pillars and they look awesome. Except that i just realized that the originals are all faded.

Guess I will be ordering those also. Might have to wait for Christmas for that one.

I'm going to try to install the A pillars assist also later tonight.

image-2400060269.jpg

image-3327992061.jpg

good source for the handles?

Contact beno. Mud member and toyota part vendor.

The screws that you need for the B pillar are part # 93311-26025.

And they go right in. Once you find the holes through the fabric, make a small hole with a screw driver and go right in with the screws.

wow! i cant believe the american cruiser never got all the handles. up here in canada we got all the handles and all the diesels. what did yo uguys do to piss off the japs so much? lmao

So I just installed last night, and I'm already using them. Great stuff.

image-3047909582.jpg

ordered all the handles this morning from toyotapartszone.com 2 A-pillar 2 B-pillar and dash for $158 shipped. not bad considering some of the other mods ive done.

Do you have a 60 ir 62? The 60 doesn't have the holes on the a pillar. I just went to Home Depot to get a threading tool. 6 bucks.

This is the one you want if using the Toyota screws.

Also. Tip. If using the toyota screws. The longer ones are for the B pillar

image-53865544.jpg

wow! i cant believe the american cruiser never got all the handles. up here in canada we got all the handles and all the diesels. what did yo uguys do to piss off the japs so much? lmao

No grab Bar for you !!!

Come back, 1 year.

Funny you guys cherish this so much, Every single Land Cruiser down here comes with A and B pillar grab handles standard on both sides of the vehicle plus the standard ones..

Interesting, can you still find the OEM ones?

once you start putting bigger tires and suspension lifts on...all which raise the height of the vehicle it makes the idea of having the missing grab handles a good idea.

once you start putting bigger tires and suspension lifts on...all which raise the height of the vehicle it makes the idea of having the missing grab handles a good idea.

Indeed. SOA + No Sliders = Grab Handles. I originally ordered these for my dash (glove box) but did not work for that so I used them in the A pillar. They are Rugged Ridge 20" handles and put them in with my nut sert tool. Work well and look beefy. Finally got me an aussie bar and now the interior looks like a roller coaster ride.

005.jpg

004.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

I just installed the A pillar grab bars and I couldn't be happier. Now it's "really" a breeze getting in and out.

I used a Self aligning Tap and Drill Set from the Home Depot. It's the exact one for the stock screws. It cost me $6.50 or so.

It was really easy to use. Drill the pilot hole and use the tap. I used my handy pressure wrench and had no issues.

Now to "pay it forward".

If anyone wants the set just PM me and I will gladly put it in the mail for free. Just send me your address.

Enjoy.

image-2755643123.jpg

image-2489835873.jpg

image-1270148071.jpg

image-166991325.jpg

image-3701958077.jpg

image-2301121788.jpg

This is the part number for the B pillar handle. You will also need two 6mm screw about 30mm long. Toyota sells the screw, too (separately) but I didn't know when I purchased them whether I would have the threaded holes. You can feel the lower hole. The upper hole is harder to find unless you have the handle to help locate where it should be.

(2 each) 74620-90A00-18 Grip Sub-Assy, Rear door Assist

I'm saving this thread for future reference. I've got both front A pillar handles, but putting the B pillar ones in will be great for when the offspring are tall enough to get into daddy's truck on their own.

Still gotta R&R my damn rear shoulder belts and get those things in....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom