Gots me a 45 wagon today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a 64 fj45 wagon today :D

35080159.jpg

OK so I knew and said I wanted a 45 wagon……I have always loved them, but I wasn’t looking too hard. So last night I stop by the store and for some reason sit down on the bench and grab a Auto Trader(I “might” look at AT 3-4 times some a year) I found a few 40’s that looked interesting and then I put it down……then picked it back up……WTF? There was a CRAPPY pic of a 45 wagon…..it read FJ45 Wagon, 350/400, ect ect ect $3000!!!!!! Well to make a long story short…..Connie and I met the seller at 9am at his place……looked at it…..bought it for $2400 and he drove it back 70miles to Gig Harbor for me and I drove him home, put 300+ miles on the 60 today......saw some other intersting stuff(pics sunday)

Connie LOVES it.....she's too damn cool :)

350/4bolt
Turbo 400
3 speed case, advance adapter, ebrake even works.
lenghtened drivelines
6” Benz(a local spring place) spring UNDER axle, , rear spings have 2” lowering blocks, 7deg shims.1.5” body lift
315/85/15 almost new(few hundred miles) Buckshot Mudders
Saginaw PS, GM tilt column.
Stock axles and brakes
Some interesting steering mods done, not sure if booty fab or not, seems to work real well however, I’ll take some pics in the light.

Interior really good(for the vintage) door panels no rips
Headliner 1-2 small tears
Dealer installed non OEM heater
Has OEM fender mirror, heater is aftermarket.

Body is pretty darn good, bottom of 1/4s have some rot, 2 small holes under front seat, front floors VERY solid, a few dings here and there, dent in roof, flaking paint, roof is very good not rot just surface and pealing, tailgate good, glass good(crack in front window, most the hardware is there, good(but mismatched) taillights. Overall pretty good…but needs some attention. Had a roof mounted spotlight(like a cop car) had a rack on it but it’s gone.
Has an interesting Land Cruiser sticker on the rear gate. And of course a Jimi sticker and a Gerry Garcia sticker on the tranny hump

Frame is EXCELENT.
Some nice custom bumpers.

And it runs,drives and rides damn well! It shocked the daylights out of me but it drove 70 miles to my house doing 70mph with no issues. I drove it around town for a few hours and it’s a suprisingly well set up, works better than I would have(or 1st did) think.

Seller was just a real nice guy, we had a great time, he was happy I bought it, very happy Turns out it had been on Auto Trader online for almost a week, but friday was the 1st time in print.

Its been in WA all it’s life, up in the mountains, the seller did most all the work, he is a forman at a welding outfit. He got it from a buddy of his 4+ years ago, the PO had it 4+ years, the orginal owner was a very tall dude who had a bigass afro…….so the headlinner above the driverseat is darker from his fro rubbing on it :D

Problems, brakes need some adjusting(all new wheel cyl, but needs a few pumps to get working) turn signals don’t work(not hooked up to GM colume), left rear door doesn’t open, needs some attention to surface rust and a few rot spots, PS hose leaks a bit, needs radiator flushed, needs shroud,seat could use some more hair under my fat ass.

Its far from perfect but its far from a rust bucket, just needs some issues takin care of and some new mods, TLC done. I don’t plan on restoring it but making a good drivin/wheeling 45 wagon.

Plans
Fix a few things for now, drive it for a while to see what else it needs and I want to do in the future
Fj62 alxes and booster/master are surely going under it.

That’s my story and that’s my new 45 wagon
Pics at
http://www.picturetrail.com/cruiserdude
in the 64 fj45 album

Needless to say I'm a happy camper :D

John H

35080176.jpg

35080167.jpg

35080246.jpg

35080239.jpg

Great find, that is so awsome. I think that you just about have every model landcruiser that was sold in the U.S. I am so envious. Have fun with your new toy. :cheers:

ferg, we didn't get them, but there are about 3 of them in australia, i believe that they were pre 55. like a forebearer to a 55. we got the 45 troopies instead :) at least it doesn't have a front end looking like a (censored). that'll get me some grief won't it?

Wow, nice find John. Didn't think there were any wagons up here...since you didn't own one :D

So, I am thinking I need to make a trip down now if you want some company for an afternoon. I can't take it anymore, I have to see your hoard.

Maybe we could get a bbq lined up for some of us WA folks so we can all drool on some of your cruisers. Make for some good pictures.

Think about it.
Scott

I suppose it even came with its own blue tarp to park it under Holmaas? :p

A yard here in Melb used to have a red on sitting there, always dreamed of fitting the body on an 80 chassis, and making a nice trip/driver/work unit out of it, then afew years ago a NZ guy had my idea [lost more $$$ though] with a silver unit he widened 3" and put on a 100 chassis from memory.

The 45 wagon is a better looker than the 55 I reckon.

Well done John. :cheers:

so what does that make, like 10 cruisers? you know... you are a bastid :flipoff2: actually... you're my hero :cheers:

there are 45 wagons that you would think. Most of them went to the west coast market, there are a few more around

come on down!!!!!

I would love to do a bbq, but I'm not much of a cook :(

John
[quote author=fj40crusher link=board=1;threadid=5960;start=msg47508#msg47508 date=1065333483]
Wow, nice find John. Didn't think there were any wagons up here...since you didn't own one :D

So, I am thinking I need to make a trip down now if you want some company for an afternoon. I can't take it anymore, I have to see your hoard.

Maybe we could get a bbq lined up for some of us WA folks so we can all drool on some of your cruisers. Make for some good pictures.

Think about it.
Scott
[/quote]

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=5960;start=msg47509#msg47509 date=1065333914]
That thing is sweet! I believe that's the first time I have ever seen two-tone with white over mustard...do you know if it's stock? I absolutely LOVE it. Nice score.

-Ferg-
[/quote]

as far as I can tell its stock mustard and white. I also beleive that this was the 1964 press road test fj45, I have both the Motor Trend and Four WHeeler review of the 45 wagon.........this is the ONLY other place I have seen the Toyota Land Cruiser sticker on the tailgate, the sticker is hand cut cloth or vinyl letter over a strip of reflection tape, it not something that Toyota of Japan would have done, but I suspect was done just for the press test rig! If so.......how cool is that? I have both the old mags with pics of my 45 when brand new!

John H

[quote author=chuglife link=board=1;threadid=5960;start=msg47519#msg47519 date=1065347935]
so what does that make, like 10 cruisers? you know... you are a bastid :flipoff2: actually... you're my hero :cheers:
[/quote]

11 Cruisers(and 72 El CAmino and 87 3/4ton), but the 88 is gonna become the donor rig for the axles and brakes for the 45.

and yes actaully I am a bastard.....my folks just told me this last year...for real ::)

John H

Bad religeon I seen one in Perth a few weeks back on the freeway.A pale green RHD version.I was on the freeway and I nearly went off the road trying to get a look.They didnt sell many cruisers in Australia pre 68 because Landrover still ruled supreme.It was the cruisers speed and comfort (relatively speaking) that knocked the rover off its throne.

they didn't export the 4 door model to australia, i think it was mainly due to america's love of wagons or something that they got it. there was an article in a 4x4 mag recently, and there are only a few that have been brought into aust, the green one you meantion may have been in it. there is also a zebra striped one, and a couple more. they even had a count on the amount of wrecks available (2 IIRC)

i know that it was the speed comfort (and later reliability) that knocked rover from the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom