Builds GoTroopy - A Dubai Troopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The parking brake on drum vehicles is significantly more effective.

My truck has to be fitted with DPF and then certified. Just another hurdle. I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to take it out of Japan, although a world trip has been on my mind for some time, and that’s why I wanted LHD. That and the fact Australian models tend to be an upgrade. Mine is as simple as can be. I’ve even got quarter glass on the driver and passenger side windows. But it did come with an immobilizer.

That’s strange, I was under the assumption that rear drums were one of the reasons. I’ll have to wait and see how mine does after adding some weight.

I’m interested to hear more about the DPF fitting, if you can share any info with me.

There’s still a concern for me when I take my car back to the UK on emissions.

I sure will! Just waiting on the dealer to take care of the paperwork. I should have it no later than the end of the month.

I sure will! Just waiting on the dealer to take care of the paperwork. I should have it no later than the end of the month.
You could try to contact these guys:

They are somehow able to retrofit the hzj78 and pass Euro6 norms in Germany.

View attachment 2085241

I'm having a whale of a time exploring Oman in the Troopy.

Can't bear the thought of taking it back off the road for a few weeks to finish the interior, but I guess it's a means to an end.
I know exactly how that feels .. hoping only about another week or 2 ..

View attachment 2010651

40c in the evening, 80-90% humidity. What better to do than join friends on the beach to break fast during Ramadan and enjoy Iftar.

View attachment 2010652

The last job to do before the strip down and respray begins. Cutting out the wing for the larger snorkel air feed, and modifying the airbox.

View attachment 2010653

And one final night. Around 1400m in the mountains of the Musandam, the spit of Oman that sits in the Straight of Hormuz. Temps dropped down to 28c here at night, which was very pleasant considering it was 46c at sea level. Spent the night in the hammock, mount from McLean Metal Works.
What a gorgeous photo, thank you for sharing.

Bit of an update.

Had an absolute shocker with the team who are meant to be building (and who've already been paid) the interior. Without going in to too many details, they can no longer finish the work, nor fix the multiple issues with the drivers side cabinets.

Motivation is at a low, bank balance is far from recovering and I've essentially got to start again.

I think I've found a reliable CAD designer using Freelancer who will be creating detailed plans for the laser cutter, then I need to find a fabrication shop here who can bend and rivet everything together, before powder coating.

It will be finished... one day.

On a positive note, I've got my Saudi visa and planning 10 days in December to visit the north of this amazing country. Heading solo in the Troopy and hoping to meet up with a few people on my trip, plus keep my eyes open for a narrow front 71.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the interior build. This is one of the biggest reasons that I'm doing my own build. I just don't trust anyone even if it's going to take longer than expected. If I lived in the US I'm sure that I would feel differently. I've got the last of the Baltic Birch plywood ordered and it should be here this Wednesday and then it will be time to cut the bottom so that I can attach the boxes and seat. I found a 76 series seat which is not correct, but it was really cheap. I think that I've figured out how to make it work. Everything is trial and error.

I'll update my build as soon as the slides arrive and hopefully this weekend.

Sorry to hear about that.

Awesome that you're coming over to KSA. Whats the route/stops do you have planned?

Hopefully 10 days.

DXB> Riyadh> Edge of the World> Hail> Al’Ula> Tabuk> Ras Alsheikh Hamed> Hejaz Railway> Jeddah> Riyadh> DXB

going to be pretty flat out. Really wanted to go down as far as Abha but that’s going to be too much. Would like to do two nights in Hail and Al Ula, so may not even make Jeddah.

So rather than getting myself down over the interior, I keep on packing it full and heading to the wilderness.

a couple more nights in the Musandam, a part of Oman that sits above the UAE in to the Straight of Hormouz.
78A6564D-6895-4256-863D-74C19EE8BACF.jpeg
331AAA7B-4D57-42B5-A312-30E619C8F1DA.jpeg
1C97E9AC-0A4D-48E0-8A69-8722A023AF07.jpeg

I’ve changed the lenses on the Baja Designs lights in the grill. I think they look better but also give a much nicer light when driving.

the ARB twin compressor packed up a few weeks ago, so that’s in for repair (under warranty), plus fitting recovery points and some additional sound deadening in preparation for the Saudi trip.

Just returned from a 10-day solo trip around Saudi Arabia. I've lived in the Middle East for nearly 9 years, but this was my first time visiting the Kingdom. Same as most people, I had my own misconceptions about Saudi, but these have been completely undone. The country was spectacular, vast, and the people were incredibly hospitable. I could've eaten lunch and dinner most days with locals inviting me to theirs.

Anyway, some visuals.

_A7R3600.jpg

_A9A6953.jpg

_A9B7444.jpg

Just returned from a 10-day solo trip around Saudi Arabia. I've lived in the Middle East for nearly 9 years, but this was my first time visiting the Kingdom. Same as most people, I had my own misconceptions about Saudi, but these have been completely undone. The country was spectacular, vast, and the people were incredibly hospitable. I could've eaten lunch and dinner most days with locals inviting me to theirs.

Anyway, some visuals.

View attachment 2154806

View attachment 2154807

View attachment 2154808
You are really fortunate to be able to do such a trip. Thank you for these amazing pics!!! Would love to see more?

You are really fortunate to be able to do such a trip. Thank you for these amazing pics!!! Would love to see more?

I could say the same about you, living in Africa - the holy grail of overland adventure.

I post most on instagram @gotroopy. I have got fed up of Facebook and posting to my own blog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom