Builds GoTroopy - A Dubai Troopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the same fridge conundrum as you. Ended up doing this..you can see it in the left corner. The bench I'm laying on flips into a bed for downstairs stealth camping.
1AC46E4A-3CBE-4BB6-A853-D1A9CB3F3AA5.JPG

Thanks Matt.

I've got the fridge where your feet are at the moment. I can access through the back side window, under the awning, or from inside the back door. I have gull wings coming from both rear side windows, mainly for visibility sake.

I'm now having a conundrum regarding the external fold down table. If I put it on the drivers side (same side as the fridge), will I still be able to lean over enough to pull things out of the fridge? If I put it on the passenger side, I'll not be able to have shade from the awning...

So I haven’t done anything to the Troopy since the Salalah trip, short of driving it, enjoying it, and cleaning it.

I took it out in to the desert a couple of nights ago to get some reasonable photos of it now it’s (nearly) externally finished. It’s still low-40’s (Celsius) in the afternoons, dipping in to high 30’s as the sun drops, and humidity is climbing up to crazy figures again, a sign that winter is on its way.

4ADB9F83-B218-433D-888F-F01601B735A4.jpeg

EFF7086A-61E1-41C7-9860-6ED6FB18237E.jpeg

0C4AC1E3-DCA6-42C4-9DFD-C1480CF20FCA.jpeg

797811B4-B13E-42D9-B27A-CED5C4FF02BC.jpeg

3B310F2A-93A2-4239-B175-38B28CED5341.jpeg

Work to be completed, hopefully by the beginning of October, will be the passenger side of the interior, an underbody watertank and Gullwings, which have finally been dispatched from Australia after 15 weeks of waiting.

I need to do something with the brakes as with these tyres, and all this weight, the stock set up is really struggling.

Off to Oman this weekend again, in search of cooler climates at the top of Jebel Shams. 3000m - the highest mountain in the Arabian Peninsula. Should see night time temperatures drop down to 20c.

wow i read the first page then skipped to here. I think i missed a few things.

Great Truck and thanks for sharing your adventures.

Beautiful rig, stunning scenery. More pics like this, please.

wow i read the first page then skipped to here. I think i missed a few things.

Great Truck and thanks for sharing your adventures.
Yea, there’s been a bit of a change since the car was new. Still a bit to come.

The gullwings arrived yesterday so they’ll be fitted in the coming weeks.

Read start to finish. Really nice work and I will continue to follow along.

My build thread ^

Question from post 47 about the struts. You said that the top is now very hard to pull down. What strength struts are you using? Do you think if you had more weight on the roof that it would be easier to pull down? I'm thinking of putting some "stuff" on the top, keeping in mind the center of gravity. Would appreciate your thought on that.

I'm kinda in your corner on the AluCab top. There are some things that I think could sure be better. I'm in Oregon and it can get a bit cold here. The top is "very" tight......hard to close it with a down comforter and pillows. Not sure what they were thinking there. Not the best fit/finish in the world either....esp for the cost.

Goexplore,

I'm curious with regard to your statement that "I need to do something with the brakes as with these tyres, and all this weight, the stock set up is really struggling."

My UAE reverse import has arrived and I was wondering what you have planned to remedy this?

Read start to finish. Really nice work and I will continue to follow along.

My build thread ^

Question from post 47 about the struts. You said that the top is now very hard to pull down. What strength struts are you using? Do you think if you had more weight on the roof that it would be easier to pull down? I'm thinking of putting some "stuff" on the top, keeping in mind the center of gravity. Would appreciate your thought on that.

I'm kinda in your corner on the AluCab top. There are some things that I think could sure be better. I'm in Oregon and it can get a bit cold here. The top is "very" tight......hard to close it with a down comforter and pillows. Not sure what they were thinking there. Not the best fit/finish in the world either....esp for the cost.

Hey, I'd read your thread with great interest from the outset.

TI he struts my roof is running are the standard struts provided by AluCab. With some use and a bit more experience in the loads required, it's certainly got easier.

I'm not running any load on the roof (mainly) so doubt I'll bother uprating them yet.

I manage to keep a lightweight duvet in there (it rarely drops below 5c here at night, and only a few times a year) plus a couple of pillows. I did buy a mattress topper from IKEA but decided to abort that plan as we would've had no chance of shutting the roof with that on.

I'm already having quite a few places where the paint on the roof is chipping or flaking off. I'm not even expecting AluCab to sort it under any sort of warranty given my previous experience of dealing with them. Pretty terrible customer service.

Goexplore,

I'm curious with regard to your statement that "I need to do something with the brakes as with these tyres, and all this weight, the stock set up is really struggling."

My UAE reverse import has arrived and I was wondering what you have planned to remedy this?

I'm trying to get hold of a brake booster from Bramac in Australia, plus a set of braided hoses.

Do you know if yours has drums or discs on the back?

Unfortunately, drums. I‘d like to change them to discs, but haven’t been able to find anyone that sells a disc setup for a late model. I really wanted an Australian model, but my dealer said that it would be too expensive to try and import one. I just have to contend with a left-hand model on right-hand roads here.

For us, here, the Australian models would cause too many issues. Firstly, we’re not able to register RHD in the UAE, but also RHD are barred from some countries here.

Mainly, due to DPF, poor quality fuel etc, the Euro 4 (I think) would face too many problems. I’d love the Euro 4 over the Euro 3 for taking back to the UK mind. by

I’m also not convinced that discs are better than drums. I read quite often on Troop Carriers of Australia about handbrake issues that don’t seem to effect us with drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom