Gorges State Park/ Chestnut Mtn Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmm,,was trying to edit my previous post, but do t see an option.

Was going to add, that when I do go to Gorges, I'm going to toss the flyrod in the truck. Would love to do a,little fishing in the Whitewater.

Is that bridge crossing the only significant creek crossing on that trail?
I can't help you on the park info, but I believe the EDIT function is a Silver Star feature. Silver Star is obtained by making a $20 donation to this website. It also eliminates the ads you are seeing. I think the link for that can be found in your profile. Search 'buying a silver star' if it isn't.

Not doing gorges this weekend. Might head up to Uwharrie for the Rover safari.
Would rather do gorges when it's a bit warmer

Going to bump this old thread up and see if anyone is interested in doing a trail ride on the Chestnut mountain road tmrw?!?! I don’t have my cruiser with me but I have my raptor.

Another bump for this old thread...I came across a Tacomaworld post saying the gate at the NC-SC line was open connecting Auger Hole Rd and Musterground Rd. Was wondering if anyone had any intel?

Another bump for this old thread...I came across a Tacomaworld post saying the gate at the NC-SC line was open connecting Auger Hole Rd and Musterground Rd. Was wondering if anyone had any intel?
Ive thought I heard they closed the gate in the parking lot which would prevent access to the whole area, its been awhile since i heard that, but thats the last I remember

Finally made it out to Gorges and rode Chestnut Mtn Rd / Auger Hole Rd all the way to the NC/SC line. There was a closed gate there. I did go through a few open gates, which I think will be closed starting 1/1.

Finally made it out to Gorges and rode Chestnut Mtn Rd / Auger Hole Rd all the way to the NC/SC line. There was a closed gate there. I did go through a few open gates, which I think will be closed starting 1/1.
Unfortunately that gate at the NC/SC line is always closed, at least in recent years. But you can access the other side from Musterground Rd. And the entire road is closed now for the season, all the way from the paved parking lot. Same with Musterground road on the SC side out of Bad Creek Hydro.

I have a buddy with forest service contacts and he said the NC and SC DNR don't get along and will never have both their gates open at the state line. So gotta take the long route on the road.

It seems so pointless to have a gate on a road that can be accessed to both sides. It’s not as if through traffic would be a problem when it takes hours to traverse.

It seems so pointless to have a gate on a road that can be accessed to both sides. It’s not as if through traffic would be a problem when it takes hours to traverse.
Yeah the only justification I have come up with is so it's easier to keep track of hunters, easier to check licenses and such when you know they are contained to one state at least with access. Because hunting access is the main reason for those roads. But I agree they should open the gate.

Is the trail open from the NC Gorges State parking lot side currently?
As of a couple weeks ago it was not, I believe it will be open the month of April for turkey season and then close again until the fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom