Good windshield installation guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tralaz.org
UPDATED, see bottom.

I needed to have my 05 Tundra windshield replaced, so I called around for pricing, and settled on Expert Auto Glass Repair (AKA Az Auto Glass Experts, AKA probably other names, glass companies tend to have many) at (602) 900-1181. The Tundra is a simple install, no surprise that the tech did a good job on it, but I had questions for him as I have two 80 series trucks that also need windshields. Those are not so simple, and many folks who have theirs replaced find out later that they were installed incorrectly and leak, or they have to explain to the tech how to do the job to get it done right.

Chris A. knows his stuff. As soon as I mentioned the vehicle he explained that they are generally more expensive to install and why, including the sealant used in addition to the gasket. He knew what type of sealant it was, which was news to me- I assumed it was the same butyl sealant used on newer glass, but it's not. I showed him my trucks, and he quickly spotted that the LX glass, a previous replacement, was not done correctly- the cowl wasn't removed, so the gasket wasn't tucked under it like it is supposed to be, and no sealant was used. I've put off the replacement of the LC's (original) glass for years just because I didn't want to deal with finding someone who knows what they're doing, or having to educate someone who should. I'll be calling him when I bite the bullet and have these two windshields done.

When pressed, he admitted that all glass is not created equal, and said he used FYG* glass in his own vehicles, and would also recommend Pilkington, especially for classics. I asked about LOF and PPG (which were the only two manufacturers that GM would accept in lease-return vehicles back in the early 90's, when I had a job inspecting those cars) and he informed me that LOF (Libby-Owens-Ford) no longer exists (it was bought up by Pilkington, as a matter of fact) and that PPG was now PGW, and he doesn't care for it.

So, if you don't know a guy, this guy has been doing auto glass for 17 years and knows what he's doing. You can and should request him when you call.

I also asked him about tinting the windshield, which is something I had done on another vehicle, very light tint, 85% IIRC, and it helped quite a bit. I expected to get an admonition about laws and such, but he surprised me by telling me he always has his tinted, *and that he knows a guy that does excellent work and stands behind it, XXX, (XXX)-XXX-XXXX. He also mentioned that one of his friends not only got the tint (which blocks UV), but also got a second clear UV film on top of the tint and it really made a difference. I imagine it was probably close to twice the money, and twice the chance of issues later, but it's an option.

After the Tundra was done, I called Expert Auto Glass back for pricing on the 80's- the '94 LC was quoted at $214.38 and the '96 LX would be $258.32. Both prices were for FYG glass and included the new gasket and sealant. The year probably doesn't matter, but the LX has bronze tint across the top (and it's a luxury vehicle :princess:), while the LC replacement glass top edge is blue. My factory LC glass didn't have any tint across the top, but that's not an option, at least not from FYG. (Turns out it is an option for FYG glass, at a premium over the blue strip, but less than the LX bronze.)

*UPDATE 5-4-2020: I called Expert Auto Glass Repair and requested Chris to replace both of my 80-series windshields last week. They got me the glass in the options I wanted (no colored strip across the top) but unfortunately Pilkington no longer makes glass for the 80 so I went with the FYG. Chris came out on time and he and his partner had both 80's done in a couple of hours. Done correctly, I might add. He mentioned a spike in 80 series glass replacements lately due to this post, so apparently a few CSC folks (or lurkers) have new windshields. Hopefully they are as happy as I am.

I tried to give his tint guy some business but after setting up an appointment with him he wouldn't answer his phone or texts and never showed up. Might have been because he works in the East Valley and didn't want to come to North Phoenix, but in any case I won't be giving him a reference since he never bothered to let me know.

Last edited:
Good to know. After two replacements on my Black 100 series, it would be nice to find someone who knew what they were doing. Safelite took 4 tries to finally get it right, and the second time another recommended vendor used screws instead of rivets.

Updated first post with tint guy's info.

I'd like to second the windshield tint. The legality is questionable, fix it tickets are sort of an untracked grey area here in AZ. Definitely worth the potential hassle.

I run 50% on the whole windshield, and it is wonderful. 15% front sides. 5% everywhere else. What a difference.

I have a couple of comments ... I had an issue with Safelite and rivet vs screws except in my case they wanted to do bodywork to repair damage that they had done in a previous repair where they used screws instead of rivets. They wanted to fill the holes in re-drill and repaint. I opted out of that repair because I didn't want to deal with it but it took some convincing to get them to leave it alone. I also learned that the guys with more seniority work in the shop instead of the trucks, so in the future I'll probably go in to the shop for glass replacement when I have the time.

I also learned that the guys with more seniority work in the shop instead of the trucks, so in the future I'll probably go in to the shop for glass replacement when I have the time.

That was my experience with Safelite also. Had to take my truck to the shop to get it done right.

I won't hesitate to go back to Bell Glass - they did the windshield on my 40, and a rear quarter window on Michael's Blazer - old skool shop with guys who know what they are doing

but good to know of a second resource

I won't hesitate to go back to Bell Glass - they did the windshield on my 40, and a rear quarter window on Michael's Blazer - old skool shop with guys who know what they are doing

but good to know of a second resource

Just had Expert Auto replace the windshield on my 80 and my 18 Camry. Nice people, nice work. Chris takes pride in what he does. He took the time to point out some of the issues the last folks did not properly address.

UPDATE 5-4-2020: I called Expert Auto Glass Repair and requested Chris to replace both of my 80-series windshields last week. They got me the glass in the options I wanted (no colored strip across the top) but unfortunately Pilkington no longer makes glass for the 80 so I went with the FYG. Chris came out on time and he and his partner had both 80's done in a couple of hours. Done correctly, I might add. He mentioned a spike in 80 series glass replacements lately due to this post, so apparently a few CSC folks (or lurkers) have new windshields. Hopefully they are as happy as I am.

I tried to give his tint guy some business but after setting up an appointment with him he wouldn't answer his phone or texts and never showed up. Might have been because he works in the East Valley and didn't want to come to North Phoenix, but in any case I won't be giving him a reference since he never bothered to let me know.

UPDATE 5-4-2020: I called Expert Auto Glass Repair and requested Chris to replace both of my 80-series windshields last week. They got me the glass in the options I wanted (no colored strip across the top) but unfortunately Pilkington no longer makes glass for the 80 so I went with the FYG. Chris came out on time and he and his partner had both 80's done in a couple of hours. Done correctly, I might add. He mentioned a spike in 80 series glass replacements lately due to this post, so apparently a few CSC folks (or lurkers) have new windshields. Hopefully they are as happy as I am.

he mentioned a "spike" :rofl:

Considering I just found a crack in my 100 windshield the other day, plus all the nonsense I went through with Safelite and the last company using screws instead of rivets, this is timely info. Thanks.

Can we assume that Chris is the call for 200's as well? If he can do others, he get's "it", right/?

Can we assume that Chris is the call for 200's as well? If he can do others, he get's "it", right/?
I would say so. I've had to call him for my wife's IS350 windshield since he did the 80's, and he did great work on that too. It turns out that Lexus doesn't make things easy on windshield installers, a lot of the interior has to come out and there are multiple moldings, some of which are not reusable, but everything was done to perfection when he finished.

UPDATED, see bottom.

I needed to have my 05 Tundra windshield replaced, so I called around for pricing, and settled on Expert Auto Glass Repair (AKA Az Auto Glass Experts, AKA probably other names, glass companies tend to have many) at (602) 900-1181. The Tundra is a simple install, no surprise that the tech did a good job on it, but I had questions for him as I have two 80 series trucks that also need windshields. Those are not so simple, and many folks who have theirs replaced find out later that they were installed incorrectly and leak, or they have to explain to the tech how to do the job to get it done right.

Chris A. knows his stuff. As soon as I mentioned the vehicle he explained that they are generally more expensive to install and why, including the sealant used in addition to the gasket. He knew what type of sealant it was, which was news to me- I assumed it was the same butyl sealant used on newer glass, but it's not. I showed him my trucks, and he quickly spotted that the LX glass, a previous replacement, was not done correctly- the cowl wasn't removed, so the gasket wasn't tucked under it like it is supposed to be, and no sealant was used. I've put off the replacement of the LC's (original) glass for years just because I didn't want to deal with finding someone who knows what they're doing, or having to educate someone who should. I'll be calling him when I bite the bullet and have these two windshields done.

When pressed, he admitted that all glass is not created equal, and said he used FYG* glass in his own vehicles, and would also recommend Pilkington, especially for classics. I asked about LOF and PPG (which were the only two manufacturers that GM would accept in lease-return vehicles back in the early 90's, when I had a job inspecting those cars) and he informed me that LOF (Libby-Owens-Ford) no longer exists (it was bought up by Pilkington, as a matter of fact) and that PPG was now PGW, and he doesn't care for it.

So, if you don't know a guy, this guy has been doing auto glass for 17 years and knows what he's doing. You can and should request him when you call.

I also asked him about tinting the windshield, which is something I had done on another vehicle, very light tint, 85% IIRC, and it helped quite a bit. I expected to get an admonition about laws and such, but he surprised me by telling me he always has his tinted, *and that he knows a guy that does excellent work and stands behind it, XXX, (XXX)-XXX-XXXX. He also mentioned that one of his friends not only got the tint (which blocks UV), but also got a second clear UV film on top of the tint and it really made a difference. I imagine it was probably close to twice the money, and twice the chance of issues later, but it's an option.

After the Tundra was done, I called Expert Auto Glass back for pricing on the 80's- the '94 LC was quoted at $214.38 and the '96 LX would be $258.32. Both prices were for FYG glass and included the new gasket and sealant. The year probably doesn't matter, but the LX has bronze tint across the top (and it's a luxury vehicle :princess:), while the LC replacement glass top edge is blue. My factory LC glass didn't have any tint across the top, but that's not an option, at least not from FYG. (Turns out it is an option for FYG glass, at a premium over the blue strip, but less than the LX bronze.)

*UPDATE 5-4-2020: I called Expert Auto Glass Repair and requested Chris to replace both of my 80-series windshields last week. They got me the glass in the options I wanted (no colored strip across the top) but unfortunately Pilkington no longer makes glass for the 80 so I went with the FYG. Chris came out on time and he and his partner had both 80's done in a couple of hours. Done correctly, I might add. He mentioned a spike in 80 series glass replacements lately due to this post, so apparently a few CSC folks (or lurkers) have new windshields. Hopefully they are as happy as I am.

Had Chris come over last week from Expert Auto glass to replace my windshield in my 80 based on this recommendation. He knows his stuff when it comes to 80's windshield replacement.

Did you say you did have a tint guy you'd recommend after all? If not that guy, does anybody else have a good tint guy they'd recommend?

I just had my LX done here:

Rick is they main guy, but everyone there is good to deal with.

and they also did my BMW 5-Series wagon about 3 years ago...... both cars were done perfectly and the BMW has had no issues since install.

Very happy, everyone is courteous and everything was done as discussed and on time.... actually, he finished the LX well ahead of the time he promised it.

I too have used Chris A. To replace my 80 windshield, great guy very professional and will have my business on my other cars in the future. Highly recommend.

not trying to hijack the post here however i too own a autoglass company. EXCALIBUR AUTO GLASS my dad started it in 81' and ive owned it for 12 years now. i love cars and im extremely detailed. im new to the fourm here and ive just been cruising the pages deciding on how to build my new to me rig, when i saw this post. use me dont use me its up to you im just letting you guys know you have another option who knows these rigs too. look us up and call if you have any questions and cant wait to meet some of you all on the trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom