Good windshield installation guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Review Time

So the 200 has needed a window for some time now. Based on this thread, and the wife on my back forever to get it done, I reluctantly called Expert Auto Glass / Chris A. (602) 900-1181. I kept putting it off b/c of all the horror stories you hear about poor installation jobs and crappy glass etc. I figured a cracked OEM window was better than a poor install and budget glass.

Chris A seemed well regarded in this thread so I figured I’d give it a shot, the time had come. Communications were great, he called my insurance co. with me on the line and got everything sorted out at once. My insurance authorized OEM glass, which he picked up from Toyota, along with the other necessary Toyota bits.

Upon arrival I notice a very clean and well put together mobile shop His van set up is pretty slick and everything was spotless. He went over everything, explained what he was going to do, how the moldings, rivets and such played into the install and then went to it.

He was organized, detailed and answered my questions smartly. Said he’s been doing this 18yrs I think, and it showed in his knowledge and confidence. The glass he took out was original factory glass. He knows Land Cruisers pretty well and states lately he'd been doing older ones.

So if any of you are on the fence, or still looking for a glass guy, I would definitely give two big thumbs up for Chris A at Expert Auto Glass.

Chris with Expert Auto Glass just installed a new windshield on my 04 100 series. Very happy with the service and install.

Chris quickly spotted the errors made on the previous install (performed before I owned the truck). Windshield set too deep, wrong top molding, they cut the headliner trim on the A-pillar, wrong bolt on the rearview mirror, license plate screws used instead of OEM plastic rivets for the side trim pieces. The plastic cowl also had several broken clips, but I'll replace that when it becomes a necessity.

Install was performed at my house, initially scheduled the next day after I called. Then Chris decided the side trim needed to be replaced with new OEM trim, so he ordered that and was back out two days later to complete the install. He walked me through any issues as he spotted them on the truck. We could not use the OEM plastic rivets due to the hole size being increased from the 1/4 inch screws used by the previous installer. They only used six screws for the eight holes, so I picked up some new screws plus a replacement screw for the rear view mirror. Chris primed all the metal before reinstalling the new windshield to the proper depth. Top trim was replaced with correct OEM trim and new side molding was installed.

I will definitely use Chris and Expert Auto Glass the next time I need the cruiser windshield or any other windshield replaced.

I can recommend Jason Jacobs, phoenixfamilycarcare@gmail.com for 100-series. His name was passed to me by one of the Toyota dealers in town back when I was asking, he knows the rivets and funky 100-series glass attachment, and has done two of mine (same car, two times). I bought new trims and rivets the first time, then he said they'd be fine the second time.

Review Time

So the 200 has needed a window for some time now. Based on this thread, and the wife on my back forever to get it done, I reluctantly called Expert Auto Glass / Chris A. (602) 900-1181. I kept putting it off b/c of all the horror stories you hear about poor installation jobs and crappy glass etc. I figured a cracked OEM window was better than a poor install and budget glass.

Chris A seemed well regarded in this thread so I figured I’d give it a shot, the time had come. Communications were great, he called my insurance co. with me on the line and got everything sorted out at once. My insurance authorized OEM glass, which he picked up from Toyota, along with the other necessary Toyota bits.

Upon arrival I notice a very clean and well put together mobile shop His van set up is pretty slick and everything was spotless. He went over everything, explained what he was going to do, how the moldings, rivets and such played into the install and then went to it.

He was organized, detailed and answered my questions smartly. Said he’s been doing this 18yrs I think, and it showed in his knowledge and confidence. The glass he took out was original factory glass. He knows Land Cruisers pretty well and states lately he'd been doing older ones.

So if any of you are on the fence, or still looking for a glass guy, I would definitely give two big thumbs up for Chris A at Expert Auto Glass.

Good to know. From everything I've read, replacing the glass in a 200 is a very specific task and requires that many of the clips and whatnot be discarded and replaced. Most do not do this and leaks form. More than a few reports of Range Rover levels of electrical gremlins after a 200 windshield replacement due to water intrusion ending up ruining a wiring harness inside the cabin. I think one took like 6 months to track down all the problems and cost $10k plus to fix. This is why my windshield looks like it spent most of its time in a BB gun shooting gallery.

I guess I'll call Chris and hold my breath.

having Chris do my Lexus (Tuesday) car then a couple 80 series (a week later) looking forward to it!!

For anyone who has used Chris A. from Expert Auto Glass to do their windshield in an 80 series, did you provide the weatherstrip gasket from Toyota or did he provide everything?

He did everything for me

Hi--Any idea of a good installer in Tucson? I was told A&F on 29th St., but they are so busy, they now seem to prefer the easier, newer stuff. I was given the name of Andy's American Glass as well--heard anything about him/them? This is for an FJ60. Mobile would be awesome since the clutch just took a dump as well! Thanks.

Another 2 thumbs up for Chris at Expert Auto Glass. He immediately noticed the windshield on my 80 had been installed incorrectly (prior to my ownership) with gobs of adhesive. He warned me that that the new gasket may not cover the old adhesive around the perimeter of the window frame, which would be unsightly. My options were to re-use the old gasket (which was still in good condition) or clean up all the old adhesive and use a new gasket. I elected to have Chris remove the windshield, I spent hours cleaning up the old adhesive, then Chris came back a few days later and put the new windshield in properly. Removing the old adhesive was done with a plastic scraper, acetone, and lots of elbow grease. I treated a few very minor surface rust spots at the same time. I am very happy with the end result and appreciate Chris working with me on my options. Chris mentioned he has been doing a lot of Land Cruisers as a result of Copper State Cruiser referrals.

1631231754762.png

Expert Auto solved my Safelite issues today. Waited till I was due to go to Phx (I live in Sierra Vista) to use Expert and I'm happy I did. I thought Safelite did a bad job on our LC200 from the beginning, however, Chris insisted I come take a look at all things I couldn't see behind the glass. Sealant on the A-Pillars felt, they had cut my satellite radio antenna, tried to re-use the old clips and moldings by blobbing glue on them, etc. After seeing all that, Safelite did an absolutely horrible job and I will obviously never use them again.

Now everything looks perfect, all the moldings seal against the glass and it looks like a brand new factory job. Can't recommend enough, definitely worth the travel to get it done right. Going to use them on my Ram next, clearly a superior company.

Just a data point for those in Tucson, I went to Safelite Auto Glass on the corner of Kolb and 22nd for my '94 LC. Johnny from OLC pointed me there. I brought my own Toyota OEM seal and also printed off the FSM installation instructions (which they did read after I explained that LC's are different than most). They installed a Fuyao window glass, which was fine with me. I talked to the manger, and he said they do a fair number of Land Cruisers from the overland crowd.

After 1 month of driving, no squeaks, rattles, nor leaks. So far so good. I'm pleased with their work.

John

Source for Sierra Vista/Benson/Sonoita/Patagonia/Nogales:

Sierra Vista Glass: great work and if you ask for Marc Gonzalez, he knows cruisers. He’s even been able to salvage and reinstall OEM 6x truck chrome trim in the past (don’t know if true since he did a 100 for us).

Very reasonable price, and they like OEM glass kinda people. :)

:cheers:

Source for Sierra Vista/Benson/Sonoita/Patagonia/Nogales:

Sierra Vista Glass: great work and if you ask for Marc Gonzalez, he knows cruisers. He’s even been able to salvage and reinstall OEM 6x truck chrome trim in the past (don’t know if true since he did a 100 for us).

Very reasonable price, and they like OEM glass kinda people. :)

:cheers:
Can Marc do FJ40 windshields?

I spoke with the owner of Expert Auto Glass today about having Chris A replace the windshield on my GX. He told me Chris is not going into the field anymore, but is running training at Expert. I really let him know that I am expecting the same level of expertise and care from whoever he sends to do the job. He is sending another master technician to replace my windshield tomorrow (trained by Chris A.) I will provide an update a week after the installation and after a few trips through the car wash.

Doing a search I find Expert Auto on Mission Lane east of I-17. Is this the right company? Hoping it is and Chris would at least supervise the install on our Sequoia.

Just got off with expert Auto Glass and by the conversation sounded like Chris was no longer there. Doesn't sound like a large enough business to have a dedicated person to train techs.

I spoke with the owner of Expert Auto Glass today about having Chris A replace the windshield on my GX. He told me Chris is not going into the field anymore, but is running training at Expert. I really let him know that I am expecting the same level of expertise and care from whoever he sends to do the job. He is sending another master technician to replace my windshield tomorrow (trained by Chris A.) I will provide an update a week after the installation and after a few trips through the car wash.

Know it's early to have a few car washes but do you have any feedback on the initial install job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom